What bb speed do I need?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies I'm sure there are threads on this but I can't find any.
What broadband speed do I actually need?
I mainly just browse the Internet and check emails.
I watch catchup tv on my iPad and also watch the odd film on Lovefilm.
Occasionally I will download tv series, but quite happy to do that overnight.
I'm only asking because if I cancel Virgin and go with another provider I will only get between 3 and 8mbs, will that be fast enough?

Comments

• JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Though you may struggle with HD video at the lower end of that estimate. I get between 3 and 3.5mbs and the constant buffering on Sky Go is really annoying (even on the lowest quality), yet if I switch to BBC Iplayer I can watch HD content on there with no buffering. It's hit and miss.
    If you can get over 5mb you shouldn't have much trouble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between 3 and 8 is a huge difference. At 3 I'd say it was too low and at 8 perfectly fine. Where have you got those estimates from? If from a BT checker, they usually underestimate so you should be okay but no guarantees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was from a BT checker.
    I don't know whether Lovefilm films are in HD, so I might have trouble with them.
    I could save quite a bit of money by cancelling Virgin but usually you're stuck in a contract if you swap to another provider and if the speed is rubbish I'm stuck for a year with slow broadband.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Yes, it was from a BT checker.
    I don't know whether Lovefilm films are in HD, so I might have trouble with them.
    I could save quite a bit of money by cancelling Virgin but usually you're stuck in a contract if you swap to another provider and if the speed is rubbish I'm stuck for a year with slow broadband.

Even if they are in HD, and I'm not sure they are on Netflix, it will just play at a lower quality.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a reliable minimum of about 4/5 Mbs. I have a measured 6.2 Mbs most of the time which is enough.

A reliable 6 Mbs is better than 12 Mbs that keeps dipping to 1 Mbs.

The snag is if you change supplier you can never be sure of getting this reliability, it is a shot in the dark which varies across the country and with ISP.