Andre's "suffering"

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Much as i can't stand Ronan Keating, he and his family and supporters have done colossal work over the last few years for the Marie Keating Foundation. It has helped a lot of Irish people and is one of the most well known charities here due to the hard work of people involved with it.

It takes more than a Justgiving.com page and some shameless (shameful?) self promotion to keep a pledge to raise half a million a year. From the looks of his page, it's not even a proper "Foundation". There's no charity reg number, registered address, in fact anything that makes it look legit. The Justgiving page can be set up by anyone to associate with a proper charity - I had one myself, but I wasn't so self absorbed that i called it the Nota Typo Foundation

I don't know why exactly but that is making me laugh so much. :D:D

From what I've read, I don't think it's a foundation in an official sense (as in a reg. charity), I think it's more a one-off partnership with CR to fundraise specifically for CR's 'awareness' campaign. That's how I read it anyway. It's been described as 'launched' - you launch an appeal, and I think that's what the PA Foundation is, the name of the appeal.

Maybe he'll set it up officially once the money's been raised for this particular appeal and it will continue with a variety of project-based fundraising...
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    If PA mainly did one that was to do with his own child, he would be slated for being selfish on here, if nowhere else. I remember someone saying he'd only do something if it was his own back yard. He's getting slated now & he's done loads inc the Zanzibar one.
    In fact, when he came 3rd in 'I'm a Celebrity' he donated his substantial winnings of £215,000 to the NSPCC. How many people knew that?

I've seen Ronan on nothing, which may be why I didn't know of the charity.
    I don't see why it matters what it's called as long as he's doing something.

All contestants on I'm a celebrity nominate a charity before they participate. The money donated to the charities come from the phone votes and are paid for by the production company not the contestant.

In return for their appearance on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, the celebrities are asked to nominate a charity to which the producers, LWT (weekend shows) and Granada Television (weekday shows), make donations. The celebrities themselves are also paid a fee to compensate them for possible loss of earnings while they are in the jungle. The producers of the show keep the precise details of the celebrities' contracts private, prompting much speculation from the media. The money is raised by allowing viewers to vote by phone, text message or the "red button"

• NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All contestants on I'm a celebrity nominate a charity before they participate. The money donated to the charities come from the phone votes and are paid for by the production company not the contestant.

In return for their appearance on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, the celebrities are asked to nominate a charity to which the producers, LWT (weekend shows) and Granada Television (weekday shows), make donations. The celebrities themselves are also paid a fee to compensate them for possible loss of earnings while they are in the jungle. The producers of the show keep the precise details of the celebrities' contracts private, prompting much speculation from the media. The money is raised by allowing viewers to vote by phone, text message or the "red button"

Hahaaaahahaaa! The whole point of their Jungle oddyssey is because they have no earnings to lose!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will have to agree to disagree otherwise we will just go round n round in circles...I don't fancy getting dizzy do you ;)
    Already am. I'm not arguing though, just saying what I would choose.

From the nspcc website:
    Peter nominated the NSPCC as the charity to benefit from his participation in ITV's third series of I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here in 2003. Peter finished third, donating his substantial winnings of £215,000 to the NSPCC.

As a result of this success, his 1992 single Mysterious Girl was re-released and he donated part of the royalties to the NSPCC.

On Children's Day 2004, Peter visited NSPCC’s Tower Hamlets Young People’s Centre to hand over his 'I'm A Celebrity' cheque and he was rapturously received by young people and staff. After the visit, Peter went on a national tour and donated 200 tickets for his concerts to the NSPCC.

In 2005 Peter was inducted into the NSPCC Celebrity Hall of Fame.

In July 2006 Peter appeared on ITV 1’s This Morning and discussed his role as an ambassador and his experiences of bullying. In August, on behalf of the NSPCC, Peter fronted The Sun’s Back To School supplement with a feature on bullying.

In November 2006 Peter and his ex-wife Katie Price released an album of duets. All proceeds were donated to the NSPCC and four other charities.
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahaaaahahaaa! The whole point of their Jungle oddyssey is because they have no earnings to lose!

True.

It's good for them though, it boosts their profiles even if it is just temporarily. I think had himself and Katie not got together in the jungle, and became this huge marketable couple (more like a brand really) we probably wouldn't hear anything about either of them at all these days.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the nspcc website:
    Peter nominated the NSPCC as the charity to benefit from his participation in ITV's third series of I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here in 2003. Peter finished third, donating his substantial winnings of £215,000 to the NSPCC.

As a result of this success, his 1992 single Mysterious Girl was re-released and he donated part of the royalties to the NSPCC.

On Children's Day 2004, Peter visited NSPCC’s Tower Hamlets Young People’s Centre to hand over his 'I'm A Celebrity' cheque and he was rapturously received by young people and staff. After the visit, Peter went on a national tour and donated 200 tickets for his concerts to the NSPCC.

In July 2006 Peter appeared on ITV 1’s This Morning and discussed his role as an ambassador and his experiences of bullying. In August, on behalf of the NSPCC, Peter fronted The Sun’s Back To School supplement with a feature on bullying.

In November 2006 Peter and his ex-wife Katie Price released an album of duets. All proceeds were donated to the NSPCC and four other charities.
    So they weren't his winnings to donate. It was a donation made by IACGMOOH presented by Peter Andre.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From the nspcc website:

slim pickings from those proceeds I presume:eek: although the amazon reviews are hilarious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the nspcc website:

Peter didn't get any winnings, he came 3rd Kerry was the winner. All phone votes for every trial and votes to save, a percentage goes to the celebrities nominated charity, Katie Price must have earned her nominated charity a fortune on her second appearance in the jungle as she was so disliked
    she was voted for nearly every bush tucker trial, the same with Helen Flanagan.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the word "winnings" is misleading on the NSPCC posting... As every celeb raises money for each vote they recieve

His former wife's charity nomination must of made a small fortune when she went on there after all the tasks she was voted for
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Essex angel ..great minds ha ha ha
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig
    She supports quite a few but her main one is vision .. Which she and her family raise money all year round ..with sponsored runs and events the charity holds

Indeed the one thing i'd say about Kate is that she does a HUGE amount for them that doesnt even get reported - just turns upto things with Harvey. Like Leona and her horse thing - more of a personal cause rather than an arranged celeb endorsement. I was at an event last year and she wasnt even billed to appear, didnt even find out she was there till the end when someone spotted her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    slim pickings from those proceeds I presume:eek: although the amazon reviews are hilarious

True. It did gain a lot of attention though it may not have been the sort they were aiming for.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supporting any charity is important. Yet people are desperate to put a negative spin on it when it's PA.
    I think it will do better with his own name.

It shouldnt make a difference - he'd be fronting it anyway whatever the name wouldnt he? :confused:

Good on him if hes doing charity work, we have heard so much about it (except where people actually go to donate curiously enough) lets see if he makes the effort to do something properly, tho i guess moneys money.

I'd just contrast it with the Neverseconds campaign by the little girl who blogged her school dinners to raise money for an african kitchen. So far she's on 130k - people are so much more drawn to honest and genuine stuff nowdays, they can sniff out a PR opportunity a mile off. He needs to genuinely make this about Andrew and actually get out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldnt make a difference - he'd be fronting it anyway whatever the name wouldnt he? :confused:

Good on him if hes doing charity work, we have heard so much about it (except where people actually go to donate curiously enough) lets see if he makes the effort to do something properly, tho i guess moneys money.

I'd just contrast it with the Neverseconds campaign by the little girl who blogged her school dinners to raise money for an african kitchen. So far she's on 130k - people are so much more drawn to honest and genuine stuff nowdays, they can sniff out a PR opportunity a mile off. He needs to genuinely make this about Andrew and actually get out there.

Yes, good on him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as i can't stand Ronan Keating, he and his family and supporters have done colossal work over the last few years for the Marie Keating Foundation. It has helped a lot of Irish people and is one of the most well known charities here due to the hard work of people involved with it.

It takes more than a Justgiving.com page and some shameless (shameful?) self promotion to keep a pledge to raise half a million a year. From the looks of his page, it's not even a proper "Foundation". There's no charity reg number, registered address, in fact anything that makes it look legit. The Justgiving page can be set up by anyone to associate with a proper charity - I had one myself, but I wasn't so self absorbed that i called it the Nota Typo Foundation

I'm actually watching Ronan Keating on Piers Morgan life story on ITV 2 +1 at the moment, I didn't realise Marie was only 51 The cancer took a hold so fast, bless her.

ETA: He raised 4 million pounds for his Mum's charity. Well done Ronan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually watching Ronan Keating on Piers Morgan life story on ITV 2 +1 at the moment, I didn't realise Marie was only 51 The cancer took a hold so fast, bless her.

ETA: He raised 4 million pounds for his Mum's charity. Well done Ronan.

I believe his family are heavily involved in fund raising behind the scenes also ..a remarkable family
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How convenient.:rolleyes:
    Although I'd hazard a guess that's more down to you than any failing on the part of her excellent charity.

Well if it's a "failing" not to know who Marie Keating was then myself, Fiz and countless millions of others have failed too.

Whilst Ronan Keating has a fan base and a strong Irish fan base by all accounts... and may have been on the usual rounds of breakfast and teatime chat shows, unless you had an interest in him or watch those kind of shows he does not feature on the radar of many, other than HIS name may ring a vague bell of someone who used to be in a boy band (I think, I'm not even sure about that TBH).

I could equally suggest that anyone not knowing EVERY foundation linked to EVERY celeb has failed, but that would be plain ridiculous wouldn't it.

The name Andrew Andre simply will not register to the vast majority....the name Peter Andre will and if that gets a few more people looking into the foundation and finding out about Andrew and cancer in general, I absolutely fail to see how that can be a bad thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fifitrixibelle
    That's just this problem..the foundation page mentions Andrew once ...it doesn't give any details about the signs for cancer and is all about how it's affected Peter ... That's what people have an issue with ..not the idea of the foundation itself
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifitrixibelle
    That's just this problem..the foundation page mentions Andrew once ...it doesn't give any details about the signs for cancer and is all about how it's affected Peter ... That's what people have an issue with ..not the idea of the foundation itself

Could I suggest that people look at the actual page and judge the truth of this for themselves?

http://www.peterandre.com/foundation/

Betty, I don't wish to keep harking back to the same point but can I draw your attention to this paragraph in particular:

"For more information, including an interactive signs and symptoms app, visit spotcancerearly.com"

What would be the point of duplicating the information when Cancer Research have already produced an excellent resource which he can link to?
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Fifitrixibelle

Can you point out the part on the page where it is "all about how it's affected Peter"?

I have just read the entire page and I didn't see it!

Unless im reading a totally different page to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    Could I suggest that people look at the actual page and judge the truth of this for themselves?

Betty, I don't wish to keep harking back to the same point but can I draw your attention to this paragraph in particular:

"For more information, including an interactive signs and symptoms app, visit spotcancerearly.com"

What would be the point of duplicating the information when Cancer Research have already produced an excellent resource which he can link to?

The link is at the bottom of the page so tiny it's easily missed.. It should be at the beginning and a list of symptoms should be visible to read with the link after .. By the way I DON'T blame Peter for the poor quality of page becaus he wont of done it himself..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »

Yes, quite. I'm not sure if people understand the collaborative nature here and the responsibilites of the two parties: It's a joint effort between PA and CR for this specific project where PA's responsibility is to help raise awareness and money for CR's initiative. Raising awareness refers to raising awareness of CR's initiative, not PA needing to elaborate on what is more than adequately explained at the CR links.

Objectively, everything else on his foundation page is imo more or less adequate for info purposes (apart obv from what I consider to be a vital missing ingredient as detailed in earlier posts but not going there again...)
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifitrixibelle

He doesn't need to, why would he?, he is stating that he will fund an EXISTING service, explains about the service and supplies a link.. he doesn't need to reinvent the wheel or talk about specifics that are out of his remit...leave it to the experts.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's one thing I remember about Ronan Keating's charity set up in his mother's name,it was switching in breakfast telly and seeing a bedraggled, hobbling Ronan up one hillside or another,day in, day out, talking to camera about the purpose and money raised. He and his family did something that took planning and a huge amount of effort to inspire people to donate money and raise awareness. I just found the intro to his walk on Youtube to give you an idea of what was involved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbXKmQOjNA

So far, PA has given out completely wrong information about cancer to a journalist, hurried though a celebrity ball using the CR logo (with yet more wrong stats on it's flyer) that has has since been postponed indefinitely, named a 'foundation' after himself, stuck it on a page of his own fan website (it's not a foundation at all as other have pointed out) which has spelling mistakes and a promise that it will "fully fund" London's mobile unit this year and years to come. I'm not an accountant, after a campaigning on Twitter, ITV, gossip magazines etc,it's raised £1,700 and donations have slowed to one a day. I don't see how that is meant to 'fully fund' anything.

If Peter is telling the truth and Claire dissuaded him from taking time I off so they could 'raise awareness of cancer' - then setting up a webpage with a Justgiving Cancer research link and a link on how to spot cancer link is six hours work, not six months.

I can't feel the devotion to the cause here. My friend raised almost 2k for the Royal Marsden last month by doing a 14 mile walk. I have to "raise" the money and awareness, you see - then take the credit for making a difference.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's one thing I remember about Ronan Keating's charity set up in his mother's name,it was switching in breakfast telly and seeing a bedraggled, hobbling Ronan up one hillside or another,day in, day out, talking to camera about the purpose and money raised. He and his family did something that took planning and a huge amount of effort to inspire people to donate money and raise awareness. I just found the intro to his walk on Youtube to give you an idea of what was involved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbXKmQOjNA

So far, PA has given out completely wrong information about cancer to a journalist, hurried though a celebrity ball using the CR logo (with yet more wrong stats on it's flyer) that has has since been postponed indefinitely, named a 'foundation' after himself, stuck it on a page of his own fan website (it's not a foundation at all as other have pointed out) which has spelling mistakes and a promise that it will "fully fund" London's mobile unit this year and years to come. I'm not an accountant, after a campaigning on Twitter, ITV, gossip magazines etc,it's raised £1,700 and donations have slowed to one a day. I don't see how that is meant to 'fully fund' anything.

If Peter is telling the truth and Claire dissuaded him from taking time I off so they could 'raise awareness of cancer' - then setting up a webpage with a Justgiving Cancer research link and a link on how to spot cancer link is six hours work, not six months.

I can't feel the devotion to the cause here.

^ First, I don't believe a word of that. If it were true, then why was there nothing of substance to back up this 'awareness' on his show, the one place he actually has a regular platform and an audience?

I know what I was aware of on his show and it wasn't cancer.
This discussion has been closed.