Becoming a vegetarian

13»

Comments

• Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I actually think that's probably one of the most ridiculously crass things I've read in a while. I'm totally okay with people making their own choices about meat eating based on whatever criteria they wish but to use the word 'rape' is borderline insulting to actual rape victims. To use such emotive words purposely to get a response generally has the opposite effect of what the person intends.

I understand what you are saying but i think your just wrong. The reason your wrong is that it is a totally speciesist view point that only human-animals can be raped, tortured, murdered and so on. That it is only humans that are capable of great suffering. This is just nonsense and the lies this industry spreads to brain washes people with. Any mother if you take away her child from her will cause great stress as it's the core instinct to protect your young. This is what happens to dairy cows every year they are alive. Do you think this also crass? see what I find crass is when people think something so abhorrent is fine just as long it's not happening to them.

Speciesism involves the assignment of different values, rights, or special consideration to individuals solely on the basis of their species membership. The term is mostly used by animal rights advocates, who argue that speciesism is a prejudice similar to racism or sexism, in that the treatment of individuals is predicated on group membership and morally irrelevant physical differences. The argument is that species membership has no moral significance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I am pleased you enjoyed your time here in Cumbria. It is easily the most beautiful county in England. And yes I am biased – I like nice things.

The lambs are only in the field because they are economically profitable. And this relies on us eating them. The hill farmers in the Fells have no option other than livestock. If you want to keep fluffy lambs in the fields and keep Cumbria beautiful you have a moral duty to eat lamb.

I am sure the 18th century slave traders held very similar views to this. Anyone involved in animal agriculture is simply no more than a exploiter of those who can not defend themselves and that's a nice way of putting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Personally i think its a far better stance to eat delicious tasty meat but try and buy the ones that have been treated as humanely as possible.

Do you also advocate moral rape or murder? where the victims are taken out for a nice meal before hand?

See the word humane should never follow a violent unnecessary death on the squalor of a slaughter house floor.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The lambs are only in the field because they are economically profitable. And this relies on us eating them. The hill farmers in the Fells have no option other than livestock. If you want to keep fluffy lambs in the fields and keep Cumbria beautiful you have a moral duty to eat lamb.

We couldn't just wear wool instead?

Or is it just as cruel to shear lamps and sheep at the start of summer, as it is to kill little lamps and chop them up into meat?
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    You must realise that a vegetarian diet is just as equally cruel and barbaric as a flesh eating one. All those animals used for the diary industry all end up in the same slaughter house when they have be used up which is normally a third of their natural live spans. They just suffer longer being raped every year, forced to have a calf. The stress of the calf being taking away from it. The calf if male is unwanted and normally just shot in the head a few days old. The same with eggs, millions of baby male chicks thrown alive into an industrial blender as they are not wanted. The brutality goes on and you are complicit in all of this.

If you have real compassion and concern for animals then avoid all animal products or your just making yourself feel better and doing nothing for the animals being exploited for no reason other than taste and money.

Bobobacon. You know when you were banned back in 2012 - did you not realise then that coming back 16 months later with a different username but peddling the same shit as you did then - and got banned for then - is against Digital Spy's terms and conditions? Crawl back under the rock you came out from.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=61727242#post61727242
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish that was true but unfortunately it's not. It may be on a smaller scale but it is the same process. Free range makes people feel better about exploiting animals but does little for the animals themselves. There is no such thing as an ethical vegetarian as it is morally an indefensible position.

What about having your own chickens for eggs? Is that more ethical?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about having your own chickens for eggs? Is that more ethical?

No it's not ethical at all, you can't really have ethical degrees of exploitation.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I think we are going off the track a little here, the OP wants help with becoming veggie, it is a step in the right direction for them, and for now we should just respect that that is what they want to do. veganism may come later but for now lets just help them with their decision.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not ethical at all, you can't really have ethical degrees of exploitation.

What is unethical about rescuing a mistreated chicken and letting her live happily in your garden? Or what about a small holding with your own goats? How is that exploitation?
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Do you also advocate moral rape or murder? where the victims are taken out for a nice meal before hand?

See the word humane should never follow a violent unnecessary death on the squalor of a slaughter house floor.

All this "rape and murder" goes on quite naturally in the animal world though. Is a cow killed by a stun gun not more "humane" than one eaten alive by lions? Im sure the vast majority of food animals have a less violent death than those in the wild!

Plus if i didn't eat that tasty meat the most of the animals would have existed in the first place.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we weren't supposed to eat those lovely little lambs why do they taste so good ....bit of mint sauce spuds peas carrots .....job done

if someone wants to be a veggie more power to you ..someone wants to be a vegan good luck to you I wish you all the best

means more meat for me
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i just stopped eating meat, it wasn`t any kind of problem, mission or saga.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    All this "rape and murder" goes on quite naturally in the animal world though. Is a cow killed by a stun gun not more "humane" than one eaten alive by lions? Im sure the vast majority of food animals have a less violent death than those in the wild!

It depends whether you want to be a part of it. I decided I wanted to cause as little suffering as possible, I made my choice to try and limit the suffering I cause, you've made yours.

Plus if i didn't eat that tasty meat the most of the animals would have existed in the first place.

That is an argument I've heard a lot and I just find it completely irrational. Breeding something just so it can be eaten is better for the animal than never having been born?
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not sure why male chickens aren't eaten....

I did think about it though, is it because they will fight when kept together in sheds?