Options

70s sitcom stars. How many are still around?

Comments

• Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Richard O'Sullivan - Man About the House/Robin's Nest?

I remember him first from the "Doctor at Large" and "Doctor in Charge" series.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    The lead cast of Porridge have all gone now sadly.

But Tony Osoba (McClaren), Sam Kelly (Warren) and Christoher Biggins (Lukewarm) still turn up on occasions along with the previously mentioned Peter Vaughan.

Although he did not play him in the TV series but the in the Film Geoffrey Bayldon played the govener. He is still around aged 90, though he was more famous as Catweazle and The Crowman in Worzel Gummage.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Brigit Forsythe, who played Thelma in The Likely Lads, stills pops up periodically on television. I last saw her in the reprisal of Open All Hours at Christmas.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zara Nutley who played the college principal Ms Courtney in Mind Your Language is still alive.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Er...seventies not eighties please.

In the OP's opening post they say 60s/70s/80s even though the title of the thread stipulates 70s
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was just thinking about how many stars of 60s/70s/early 80s sitcom stars are still around and working.

The first I thought of was June Whitfield. Then there's Felicity Kendall.
    Also I remember seeing Stephanie Cole and the woman who played the nurse in the xmas special of OAH.

Who else is still going?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I said eary eighties because some of the sitcoms I was thinking off I didn't know if they were late 70s or early 80s and I couldn't be arsed to look them up :p

It is more about 60s and 70s though as it would be more likely to have 80s stars still alive and working.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I said eary eighties because some of the sitcoms I was thinking off I didn't know if they were late 70s or early 80s and I couldn't be arsed to look them up :p

It is more about 60s and 70s though as it would be more likely to have 80s stars still alive and working.

A great thread!
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Er...seventies not eighties please.

After you've finished telling me what to do, please have a look at the OP where it mentions 80's - thank you!
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Ballard Berkeley (The Major) died in 1998

Gilly Flower (Miss Tibbs) died in 2001

Renee Roberts (Miss Gatsby) died in 1996

Brian Hall who played Terry the chef in the second series died in 1997

Ballard Berkeley died in 1988, V. Sorry to correct you :p The same year as his co-star Fanny Rowe who played Julia McKenzie's mum in Fresh Fields, BB played her dad. JM and Ann Beach are the only ones left from FF, sadly Anton Rodgers is no longer with us. I thought Anton was a very good actor and I was shocked when I found out he'd died, I hadn't seen anything on the news at the time.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the cast of "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" are still with us, though we've lost
    Leonard Rossiter
    John Barron - C.J.
    Trevor Adams - Tony "Great!!" Webster
    and just this year John Horsley - Doc Morrissey.

I thought John Barron had passed only recently - but its been ten years:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Most of the cast of "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" are still with us, though we've lost
    Leonard Rossiter
    John Barron - C.J.
    Trevor Adams - Tony "Great!!" Webster
    and just this year John Horsley - Doc Morrissey.

I thought John Barron had passed only recently - but its been ten years:(

I didn't know Trevor Adams had passed away, he wasn't that old either at 54. Very sad.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    After you've finished telling me what to do, please have a look at the OP where it mentions 80's - thank you!

An 80's example is Gilly Colman, the original Aveline from Bread. She went a few years back.

I guess Ken Waller(Grandad) is no longer with us too?

Didn't Lilo Lil go too?

That leaves from principle cast at a guess, Jean Boht, Vic McGuire, the actors who played Billy, Adrian & Aveline mark 2, plus both Joey Boswells, Peter Howitt & Graham Bickley.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    An 80's example is Gilly Colman, the original Aveline from Bread. She went a few years back.

I guess Ken Waller(Grandad) is no longer with us too?

Didn't Lilo Lil go too?

That leaves from principle cast at a guess, Jean Boht, Vic McGuire, the actors who played Billy, Adrian & Aveline mark 2, plus both Joey Boswells, Peter Howitt & Graham Bickley.

Eileen Pollock was still alive and working as of last year
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally Geeson and Robin Stewart, who played Sid James and Diana Coupland's kids in Bless This House, are still alive.

Geeson works as a special needs teacher in a primary school and I believe Stewart now lives in Australia.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank Williams and Ian Lavender - Dads Army
    John Alderton, Richard Davies, David Barry, Peter Cleall and Carol Hawkins - all Please Sir
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melvyn Hayes was in Benidorm, not that long ago.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Although he did not play him in the TV series but the in the Film Geoffrey Bayldon played the govener. He is still around aged 90, though he was more famous as Catweazle and The Crowman in Worzel Gummage.

Geoffrey Bayldon was in an episode of doctors last week. He seems to be one of those people who looked old when they were young then not age much.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    David Jason
    Bruce Forsyth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most of the cast of Keeping Up Appearances are still with us, except Geoffrey Hughes and Mary Millar (the second Rose). I'm not sure if 'daddy' is still alive.

Edit: I'll be in trouble, KUA started in 1990:blush: I thought it started in the late 80's. Slap my wrist :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Britton who played Nigel Havers' father in Don't Wait Up is still alive aged 89, but Dinah Sheridan who starred as Nigel Havers' mother passed away a couple of years ago aged 92.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Zara Nutley who played the college principal Ms Courtney in Mind Your Language is still alive.

Barry Evans who played teacher Jeremy Brown in 'Mind Your Language' died in mysterious circumstances in 1997, aged 53. Very tragic.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Frank Williams and Ian Lavender - Dads Army

As well as Pamela Cundell (Mrs Fox)
    Most of the cast of Keeping Up Appearances are still with us, except Geoffrey Hughes and Mary Millar (the second Rose). I'm not sure if 'daddy' is still alive.

Edit: I'll be in trouble, KUA started in 1990:blush: I thought it started in the late 80's. Slap my wrist :D

George Webb aka Dadddy died in 1998
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    Barry Evans who played teacher Jeremy Brown in 'Mind Your Language' died in mysterious circumstances in 1997, aged 53. Very tragic.

He was earning his living as a minicab driver too.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Beeny who was in the sitcom In Loving Memory is still alive
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread makes me sad