Options

Using superhub as hardware firewall?

Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, just thinking aloud but would welcome some advice please.

We have a superhub in modem only mode that connects to our router (tp link). That in turn goes to a network switch and cables run to most of our pc's and media streamers. The only thing on wifi is a couple of occasionally used laptops.

The problem I'm having is that the tp link router keeps crashing (pretty much daily) and needs a reboot. I'm trying to think of a way round this without spending any money.

As most of the kit requiring internet access is cabled, I'd like to plug the internet connection into the network switch, with the wireless router hanging off the network switch. That way the router crashes would not be a great problem. The only problem is that the router firewall is necessary, and plugging the internet into the switch would lose the tp link hardware firewall.

So my current thinking is is it possible to use the superhub (as it very rarely crashes) as a hardware firewall? Is it possible to configure it to do that, plus do port forwarding etc? i'm not remotely bothered about the superhub transmitting wireless or not - I'd rather use the TP link for that hence it being in modem only mode currently.