Kate Bush - Before The Dawn

Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
Forum Member
Tour kicks off at the Apollo, Hammersmith tomorrow and yes, I have a ticket, courtesy of my daughters who obtained it and gave it to me as an early birthday present. Yep, seeing KB in her first concert for 35 years on my birthday. Presents don't get better than that.

The enigma that is Kate Bush has had more column inches devoted to it in recent weeks than at any time in her long and illustrious career. I've been a fan since I first heard Wuthering Heights on the radio back in '78. You either love her music or hate it. I'm in the former category.

The one thing I'm hoping above all else is that the audience respects her request to keep their tablets, smartphones and other recording devices turned off. She wants to interact with the audience, not be looking out at a sea of little blue squares being held aloft by those who seem to think that capturing a wobbly image of some barely illuminated dots in the distance constitutes a record of the event.

Where do you all stand on this..? For me, going to a gig puts pictures in my mind, stored forevermore in my memory that are a far superior record of the occasion. The true experience of being there can't possibly be captured digitally. I know some people take the view that not recording a gig is like going on your holiday and not taking any snaps, but that's a false comparison in my opinion.

To anybody who is also going, all I'll say is: Sit back and enjoy the sublime talents of this incredible woman. If her show is half as good as I think it's going to be, you're in for a sumptuous treat. Let your eyes do the recording for your brain. Your memory will love you for it for the rest of your life.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to the tour on the 2nd september. I can not wait

I don't really agree with her not wanting pictures and recordings of the concert because we live in a world with people who own phones and ipads and will record anything that interests them. We also live in a world where people can't resist taking pictures of what they are eating, so people will capture anything anywhere. However i respect her opinion. I just don't agree.

I will be honest. I will be taking a few pictures. I don't record though as the quality is never good. Because at least i have proof i saw the wonderful Kate Bush right before my eyes.

I hope she does a concert dvd.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going on 3rd September - cannot bloody wait! And I won't be taking pictures or filming - the quality is always rubbish so what's the point? I'd rather just sit back and enjoy the performance.
  • Percy SugdenPercy Sugden Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I'm going on Saturday and I can't wait. The months since it was first announced have gone so quickly. I can't help thinking how Kate must be feeling to return to the stage after so long bless her. I won't be taking photos either though because I find it a bit sad really.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going on September 2nd and I will respect Kate's wishes, which I actually think myself, and not take a single snap. After a 35 year wait, I ain't going to miss a single second!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a pain when every man and his dog stands with cameraphones filming at gigs. i've been to many gigs where filming and photography is banned and it's much better

although from the perspective of a big fan, many will want documents of the show, in particular live audio recordings, although this can be easily done discreetly without causing any hassle to anyone else. there will be many people dying to have a recording of the first and last shows in particular, and many more who would want a recording of the show they attended, particularly if the shows will vary night by night with tracklisting and if there are special guests as floyd fans in particular would be interested if gilmour participates, etc

i think you enjoy yourself more at the show if you aren't trying to take photos or film

if this is her request then i hope she does do a live dvd/bluray so there is a document of the shows
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really agree with her not wanting pictures and recordings of the concert because we live in a world with people who own phones and ipads and will record anything that interests them. We also live in a world where people can't resist taking pictures of what they are eating, so people will capture anything anywhere.
    Only people whose sensory awareness has been so degraded that the rest of their lives are doomed to be detached from the real world and rendered devoid of emotion.
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Only people whose sensory awareness has been so degraded that the rest of their lives are doomed to be detached from the real world and rendered devoid of emotion.

:D ... And doomed to post on Internet forums....
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Btw, forgot to add that I'm going to tonight's show. :D
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going on the 2nd September too. I'll be turning the ripe old age of 27...

I'm so emotional about seeing Kate, it is literally a dream come true. The whole fanbase seems to be on a high at the minute - long may it last!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I'm going on Friday and I'm very excited at the prospect of seeing her perform. If the rumours are true I'm most excited about hearing The Ninth Wave live. I just hope everyone respects her request not to film on their phones as it's one of the main reasons I stopped going to so many gigs.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    A radio friend of mine is seeing Kate Bush on her tour. She's very excited.

I don't blame Kate Bush for not wanting people to film the show. I think that it's incredibly rude of people to watch a show through their mobile phone.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Am I right in assuming that the concerts (some or all?) will be officially filmed and recordings made available for purchase at a future date? I would assume so.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going Saturday. I've heard it WILL be filmed for DVD by several people. I've also heard it's Ninth Wave AND Sky of Honey... Which would make sense considering the tickets allude to Nocturn from the Aerial album.

I am so excited! I feel like it's the run up to Christmas and I am a child! I am only 30 so I wasn't around for her first set of gigs. This is going to be the jewel in the crown. I've heard from sources that the concert is EPIC! Dress Rehearsal was very well received over the weekend
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's getting filmed officially for a DVD release, fans shouldn't worry too much about not having anything to look back on, you'll enjoy it more just soaking it all in.

I hope you have a great night those of you lucky enough to be going. :)

Feel free to report back.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently rows A to D have been removed, so if you've got tickets for row E you're on the front row! I got row J so am only six rows from the front....I'm not going til next week but I'm not sure I can deal with this excitement!
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I so wish I was there, Kate is a genius.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see Van Morrison play Orangefield High School the other night and Van is very strict about flash photography and video. Most people observed the prohibition but there was a bit of humour from Van (a rarity), a rare performance of 'Brown-Eyed Girl' , Orangefield' and 'Ballerina' as well as a spiritual performance of 'On Hyndford Street'. I don't know if my memory is just what it was, I would really like to hear that stuff again.
    Van probably won't do a Van Morrison at Orangefield but Kate Bush may well do a DVD.
  • Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setlist:

Lily
    Hounds Of Love
    Running Up That Hill
    King Of The Mountain

The Ninth Wave
    - And Dream Of Sheep
    - Under Ice
    - Waking The Witch
    - Watching You Without Me
    - Jig Of Life
    - Hello Earth
    - The Morning Fog

Interval

A Sky Of Honey
    - Prelude
    - Prologue
    - An Architects Dream
    - The Painters Link
    - Sunset
    - Aerial Tal
    - Somewhere In Between
    - Nocturn
    - Aerial

Encore:
    Among Angels
    Cloudbusting

Wuthering Heights wasn't performed tonight but was in the dress rehearsal on Sunday.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great set list, but a shame there is no Wuthering Heights or This Woman's Work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Moments Of Pleasure either, my favourite Kate Bush song!But I love them all. I'm jealous of everyone with tickets :(
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    Apparently rows A to D have been removed, so if you've got tickets for row E you're on the front row! I got row J so am only six rows from the front....I'm not going til next week but I'm not sure I can deal with this excitement!

I'm in row K in the stalls, which I thought was great anyway so to be even closer than I imagined is brilliant!

I've been on Twitter all evening and reading all the newspaper reviews and I think being in the audience for Before the Dawn is going to be one of the best, most defining moments of my life. Can it be September 16th yet!?
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Moments Of Pleasure either, my favourite Kate Bush song!But I love them all. I'm jealous of everyone with tickets :(

The only song I'm truly disappointed about her leaving out is This Woman's Work. Otherwise I think the setlist is great. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see the encore changing each show or at least alternating. Kate performing one of a number of piano only songs and then performing a hit.

I can't believe it's such a spectacle... I mean I can, but she could have easily just come out and with a piano and performed to her own indulgences, which I'm sure the crowd would have been more than happy with.

For the fans, it looks completely worth the very high prices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    Setlist:

Lily
    Hounds Of Love
    Running Up That Hill
    King Of The Mountain

The Ninth Wave
    - And Dream Of Sheep
    - Under Ice
    - Waking The Witch
    - Watching You Without Me
    - Jig Of Life
    - Hello Earth
    - The Morning Fog

Interval

A Sky Of Honey
    - Prelude
    - Prologue
    - An Architects Dream
    - The Painters Link
    - Sunset
    - Aerial Tal
    - Somewhere In Between
    - Nocturn
    - Aerial

Encore:
    Among Angels
    Cloudbusting

Wuthering Heights wasn't performed tonight but was in the dress rehearsal on Sunday.

Any thoughts of the setlist changing over the course of the dates?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disappointing setlist. I expected a mix from all albums

I can't stand the Aerial album, and fancy not performing her most iconic hit.

Lily is a very random song to start a show with

The Ninth Wave however, i can't wait to hear all of that.