Playlist & Info button... Is it just me?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
I'm am really sure that when I first got my Hummy, I was able to press the Info button whilst in my Playlist in order to review the details of the recorded programme.

Now, (and since v21 I reckon), when I press the Info button, the system returns me back to the live picture, and shows me the info on the current programme.

Has anyone else got this? It is really annoying having to play the first few seconds of a programme in order to work out which episode it is!

If this is a newly introduced bug, and has been covered here already, then let me know, n I'll hunt a bit more!

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect to have to play the recording to get the information for that program. I don’t think you can call it a bug though, it’s just the way the system operates. I can’t remember if the system operated differently in v15 which is the only previous software I’ve had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we were able to get the synopsis info of the programme in the Playlist by pressing 'i', but that was with a really old firmware... pre-v1.00.08 (or even older, I think)...

We are not able to do this with more recent firmware updates...
  • rudeboy001rudeboy001 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by Playlist, if you mean Menu - Record - Recorded Programme, then on my machine running V21 info does give a synopsis of the recording. It also starts playing in a small window.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    It was only ever possible to get it from the Menu >>> Recorded list... :)
    son_t wrote: »
    Yes, we were able to get the synopsis info of the programme in the Playlist by pressing 'i', but that was with a really old firmware... pre-v1.00.08 (or even older, I think)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rudeboy001 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by Playlist, if you mean Menu - Record - Recorded Programme, then on my machine running V21 info does give a synopsis of the recording. It also starts playing in a small window.

By “Playlist” I assumed amjl2000 meant the list of recorded programs brought up when the Playlist button is pressed. By going the Menu > Record > Recorded Programme route and then pressing the i button the recording is started automatically indicating that in either case the recording must be started before program information is available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    By “Playlist” I assumed amjl2000 meant the list of recorded programs brought up when the Playlist button is pressed. By going the Menu > Record > Recorded Programme route and then pressing the i button the recording is started automatically indicating that in either case the recording must be started before program information is available.

Which is the Playlist button? I don't seem to have one. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rudeboy001 wrote: »
    Which is the Playlist button? I don't seem to have one. :o

Top row third from the left under the sliding cover. Can't remember what the symbol is but it's clearly labelled Playlist in the manual.

PS: I must learn how to spell programme in this context. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info on getting to the 'recorded programme' list - it is useful, just a shame you can only view 4 at a time (my list usually runs around 100 or so!)

As for my description of the buttons, it doesn't halp that I use a Harmony remote to control it, which means I use words more than little pictures!

Anway, this little issue would definitely be on my wish list, but as accurately stated above, it is not a bug, therefore I hope Humax work on the important things first before working on trivial things that only I care about!

Al
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Big-les. I really should RTFM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    The fact that you can't get any information on a recorded program without playing the program is one of the "features" of the Humax that I find most annoying. The other really annoying "feature" is the lack of folders or directories that programs can be stored in. When there are anything from 50 to 100 programs stored on the disk, a simple flat file list in date or alphabetical order is just not good enough.

The vanila Topfield (i.e. without TAPS) can display program info from the playlist without playing the program and has folder support.

These are just two of the reasons I use the Topfield as my primary PVR and use the Humax only in the rare event that there are more than two programs to be recorded at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walde1s wrote: »
    The fact that you can't get any information on a recorded program without playing the program is one of the "features" of the Humax that I find most annoying. The other really annoying "feature" is the lack of folders or directories that programs can be stored in. When there are anything from 50 to 100 programs stored on the disk, a simple flat file list in date or alphabetical order is just not good enough.

The vanila Topfield (i.e. without TAPS) can display program info from the playlist without playing the program and has folder support.

These are just two of the reasons I use the Topfield as my primary PVR and use the Humax only in the rare event that there are more than two programs to be recorded at the same time.

I’m surprised you bought the Humax then if you were so happy with the Toppy, maybe you could sell it and buy a second Toppy.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’m surprised you bought the Humax then if you were so happy with the Toppy, maybe you could sell it and buy a second Toppy.

For many reasons I also much prefer the Toppy user interface, selling the hummy is not an option because you can't use two of the same pvr's in the same room (remote control has only one channel). If I could I would have bought a second toppy. Why is it Humax owners are so defensive mostly from people who have never used a Toppy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For many reasons I also much prefer the Toppy user interface, selling the hummy is not an option because you can't use two of the same pvr's in the same room (remote control has only one channel). If I could I would have bought a second toppy. Why is it Humax owners are so defensive mostly from people who have never used a Toppy

Not defensive, just a comment. Why are Toppy owners aggressive towards the Hummy, it’s obviously not much of a threat to the Toppy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not defensive, just a comment. Why are Toppy owners aggressive towards the Hummy, it’s obviously not much of a threat to the Toppy.

I am not in anyway defensive, I like both machines but prefer the Toppy. If you have a look at www.hummy.org.uk forum you will find my posting comparing the vanilla Toppy & the Hummy. The Hummy has some better features than the Toppy but overall I personally prefer the Toppy as some of the Hummies deficiencies I find very frustrating. Others will differ.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    For many reasons I also much prefer the Toppy user interface, selling the hummy is not an option because you can't use two of the same pvr's in the same room (remote control has only one channel). If I could I would have bought a second tippy. Why is it Humax owners are so defensive mostly from people who have never used a Toppy
    I'd be surprised if it were not possible to have two Humax or Topfield PVRs operated by one Remote Control. I have done this with two Technotrend and two Vestel PVRs for most of the last 2 years. I daisy chain the two identical PVRs using SCART leads and feed the output of the second to to an input on the TV (usually via a DVD Recorder but that is immaterial). In the case of the two brands of PVR I mentioned they both have a control on the Remote Control (TV/DTV on the Technotrends and AUX on the Vestels) which switches the output of the PVR between its own DTV signal and any input on the VCR Scart. In the text which follows I'll use the term AUX to refer to both brands of PVR. With either PVR in the AUX mode that unit will not respond to any buttons on the Remote Control other than the standby button. So if you start initially with one unit in the AUX mode and the other in the non-AUX mode only one unit will respond to the Remote. Pressing the AUX button will transfer control to the other unit and disable the current one. The same functionality as above can be obtained by using the standby button instead of the Aux button but I have not used this method extensively.

I understand that on the Humax (and possibly the Topfield) that setting the unit to the AUX mode (button called SOURCE on the Humax) does not disable the response of the PVR to other Remote commands so it would be necessary to use the standby mode method. I have note owned even one Humax 9200, let alone two so I have not tried it on these units myself, nor do I recall seeing reports of it having been done, so maybe it does not work?

Colin
  • CyberSimianCyberSimian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote: »
    I understand that on the Humax (and possibly the Topfield) that setting the unit to the AUX mode (button called SOURCE on the Humax) does not disable the response of the PVR to other Remote commands so it would be necessary to use the standby mode method.
    Correct. See this post for the solution that I use (not for the faint of wallet):

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=23768244#post23768244

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's much easier just to buy the other pvr. Got a toppy buy a hummy and vice versa. Both are good machines
  • CyberSimianCyberSimian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Surely it's much easier just to buy the other pvr. Got a toppy buy a hummy and vice versa. Both are good machines
    But then you have to learn two different user interfaces! I considered buying a Toppy instead of my second Hummy, but decided against it for that reason. The Hummy is not perfect, but it mostly does what it claims, without fuss.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    Forum Member

I bought the Humax first and liked it. It was only when I bought the Topfield that I realised what the differences were and how much better the Topfield is for my particular needs. The Humax is a good machine and when my elderly parents wanted a PVR I recommended that they buy a Humax rather than a Topfield because the Humax was better suited for their needs.

I am seriously considering buing a second Topfield.
    Forum Member

I believe there is a TAP available for the Topfield which allows two Topfields to be controlled from a single Universal remote control. It changes the codes that one of the Topfields responds to and these new codes can be programmed into the universal remote as an alternative to the original codes. See the Topfield users site for details. Adding TAPS is another thing the Topfield can do but the Humax can't but doesn't suit all people. There is no way my elderly parents would be happy adding TAPS which is why I recomended the Humax for them. It's horses for courses.