Spooks Season 9

Comments

• liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmidds wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the additional dialogue added to the scene at the start when they were talking about the oil guy? When Ruth is talking about Westhouse? and has her back to the screen they have her mention the recent BP oil spill. It's still Ruth saying it but it sounded like it was recorded in the toilet.

Yes I did, ther was another point too where the home secratary said something with his back to the camera (ie you could not see his speaking) regarding the oil spill in the gulf, not as obvious thou and quite clever!

My thoughts are that Lucas has always been lucas (come on this is MI5- they could not his someone changing) but for a while he was John... and was a naughty boy!
  • reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    liquidJP wrote: »
    Yes I did, ther was another point too where the home secratary said something with his back to the camera (ie you could not see his speaking) regarding the oil spill in the gulf, not as obvious thou and quite clever!

My thoughts are that Lucas has always been lucas (come on this is MI5- they could not his someone changing) but for a while he was John... and was a naughty boy!

yeah, that was the one thing that annoyed in 24, Starbuck turning out to be some one other than who she actually was. Security agencies do an awful lot of checking, not just individuals, but families too. Therefore such people would have to have verifiable false identities and histories for amny family memebers not just one So, my thinking is also that perhaps Lucas was temporarily John when working for another agency. I will be VERY DISAPPOINTED if a British Drama makes the fundamental mistake of someone so central to mainstream security simply using a false name.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonights episode seems poor to me. Harry looks like he got no sleep last night. The quality of the "russian" accents is at an all time low for Spooks.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't say much for MI5's crack squad that they can't catch a geezer with a dodgy leg limping round town.

Oh and that chap is now doing it wrong. Don't dunk her in water... Use chip fat! It's the Spooks way.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a great episode imho. This "John" story line is getting annoying now. And the whole "Oh John, please shag me, it's been so long" scene. Oh dear.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We decided last night that it was all preposterous but enjoyable all the same! Even if Laila Rouass didn't win Strictly, she at least got to kiss Richard Armitage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Tonights episode seems poor to me. Harry looks like he got no sleep last night. The quality of the "russian" accents is at an all time low for Spooks.

Interestingly over 80% of the Russians I have spoken to speak English with an American accent. It is bizarre but true. For that reason alone you will often find that the media use very oddly connected people from Russia to give comment on 'incidents' to the news media. It gets increasingly difficult for them to find Russians who sound Russian, and not American.

Of course, that in no way excuses the poor 'accent' quality of the acting, if indeed, that is what you perceive it to be:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    We decided last night that it was all preposterous but enjoyable all the same! Even if Laila Rouass didn't win Strictly, she at least got to kiss Richard Armitage!
    Yes. I was exceedingly envious of Richard:D:D
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't say much for MI5's crack squad that they can't catch a geezer with a dodgy leg limping round town.

Oh and that chap is now doing it wrong. Don't dunk her in water... Use chip fat! It's the Spooks way.

Especially as they managed to ID him on CCTV within microsecs of arriving in London...trace him to a specific room in a specific building, arrive at said building within 28 seconds and then take another 20 minutes to get to the said room...giving the dodgy geezer just enough time to trick the info out of sad scientist and limp off into the sunset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great episode imho. This "John" story line is getting annoying now. And the whole "Oh John, please shag me, it's been so long" scene. Oh dear.

Yep agree couldn't give a flying fig about the John stuff.

One of the worst episodes ever for me.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atomicandy wrote: »
    Yes. I was exceedingly envious of Richard:D:D

And vice versa for me! :D
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to work out why I'm just not enjoying this season of Spooks. I think one reason is that all the main characters are now more or less sleazy and I don't really care tuppence what happens to any of them. And the plots are even dafter and less engaging than in previous series - the EM pulse from the basement of the Houses of Parliament was complete twaddle and this week's terrorist/WMP plot was laughable. The shark is waiting in the wings...
  • pmiddspmidds Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Another vote from me - not a very good episode. And come on Victor, I know you had to have that video to record what you were doing. But on a shoulder holster, worn over your jacket. It looked ridiculous. I half expected him to start wearing his pants over his trousers.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Particularly as that came after a Harry/Ruth scene, sublime to ridiculous
  • cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shouldn't really come on here - till I read all you lot pointing out the inconsistencies and silliness, I quite enjoyed the episode! I like ones where there's lots of running about on crowded tube platforms.

Agree that the Russian accents were variable, but at least better than Sarah Caulfield's American accent used to be. I'm not interested in the "John" storyline, either. Personally I don't care too much if Lucas has a shady history. All I want from Lucas is to rush around being brave, bold and a bit thrilling, with the occasional glimpse of the prison tattoos as an added bonus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed this one.

That said I do miss "old" Spooks where the characters actually cared and had more of a relationship. I remember the Tom days when taking a life was a major thing and the characters often had moments of identity crisis when they were asked to eliminate people - contrary to this week where newbie Beth just shot the Russian without a thought.

Nonetheless, still enjoying this, though its not as good as it was.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I love Spooks but agree that this wasn't one of the better epsiodes - it's still one of the best things on TV though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »

Lucky, lucky Laila. Oh, to be in her shoes.....:o
  • cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EssexLady wrote: »
    Lucky, lucky Laila. Oh, to be in her shoes.....:o

You could always close your eyes and imagine... http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/files/downloads/closeyoureyes.MP3
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    Especially as they managed to ID him on CCTV within microsecs of arriving in London...trace him to a specific room in a specific building, arrive at said building within 28 seconds and then take another 20 minutes to get to the said room...giving the dodgy geezer just enough time to trick the info out of sad scientist and limp off into the sunset.

City University only has 3 floors so I'm amazed it took them so long to climb up all those stairs.

Where was the police backup? :rolleyes:
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you get a thermal image from a CCTV picture?

Daft...but I enjoyed it
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of enjoying this season, but there's something about it that I'm not. I get the feeling that it's moved from 'spy' to 'spy-fi'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    clover wrote: »
    You could always close your eyes and imagine... http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/files/downloads/closeyoureyes.MP3[/QUOTE

Thanks, that's lovely - I did!! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why there's so much negativity over this episode. I loved it. I don't understand what everyone expects from Spooks. Half-decent plot, less than par action/gunplay (for my liking) and good ending.

Much better than a lot of stuff on TV at the moment :)
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanMan01 wrote: »
    I don't get why there's so much negativity over this episode. I loved it. I don't understand what everyone expects from Spooks. Half-decent plot, less than par action/gunplay (for my liking) and good ending.

Much better than a lot of stuff on TV at the moment :)
    Because spooks is supposed to be true to reality