Options

Where can i get Rock salt in bulk?Ireland

chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
Forum Member
Hi,I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can buy Rocksalt(i heard its best) in bulk to use on my driveways and such for these weather conditions.Anywhere in Southern Ireland(preferably in Cork) that does this? And what prices would I be looking at?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.ty:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use dishwasher salt, as that may be cheaper.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's expensive....but what you do is mix it half-and-half with CAT LITTER! :eek: Get tesco's dishwater salt, it's quite cheap
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any salt will do the trick.

Cooking salt is pretty cheap.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's expensive....but what you do is mix it half-and-half with CAT LITTER! :eek: Get tesco's dishwater salt, it's quite cheap
    Avoid cat litter like the plague! Some idiot suggested this on the wireless a few years ago. I stupidly went out, bought several bags of cat litter at Sainsbury's and spread it on the drive. The result was that visitors crushed it underfoot, and brought it into the house where it totally messed up the hall carpet. I spent over an hour scrubbing it to remove the damage.

However, I would agree with using dishwasher salt. It's grainier than table salt so it is easier to spread evenly.
  • Options
    radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do NOT use cat litter,especially the Fuller's earth variety.When it gets wet it reverts to it's natural state,a pale slippery clay which is very messy and slippery.Love to know where this odd suggestion came from.

• Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cork like!

elke21 wrote: »
    Use dishwasher salt, as that may be cheaper.

+1, I like the dishwasher salt from Lidl, decent sized chunks and it's cheap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10kgs costs a council about 20p - but you're probably looking at a fiver buying it in small sacks from a garden centre or builders yard (if they have any left) :(

You could call your builders yard and see if they have any in stock, you'll probably have to buy a tonne though if you're talking about bulk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you go and it's on your doorstep.

Manorstone
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Here you go and it's on your doorstep.