Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Interesting stuff you found Susie! I found the info on the end credits answered a question I had. For S1 & S2, our favorite series had a light blue sky looking background to the credits. For S3, they changed to a darker blue with white lettering. Then starting with S4, we have black background with white lettering. I had wondered if it was supposed to be some sign when they changed to the black background, but now I see that it is a requirement by ITV. I think it is probably to make it easier to squash the credits to the edge of the screen while they promote another show in the main screen - in fact it does mention that is what could happen to the credits. They also specify that the credits can't be rolling - probably for the same reason. Who knew?

It also prompted me to look more closely at the credits. I had previously noticed a credit for a stand-in so I became curious and looked him up on IMDB. He is listed as a stand-in for both Doc Martin movies and all episodes for S1 & S2. I checked a little more and there don't seem to be any stand-in credits for anything after S2. I wonder why? Did they just decide that it wasn't necessary to pay someone to stand around just in case they needed him? I would think as the show got more popular that MC would have more demands on his time and more need for a stand-in.

Another interesting thing I saw in his credits (and he has only been in one other production besides the Doc Martin stuff), is that he is listed as a "stunt stand-in" for Aromatherapy. That made me wonder, so I went and looked at every scene with Martin in that episode and I cannot see anywhere where there needed a stunt double. The most dangerous thing he did was break Caroline's window with a rock, but I looked at that scene closely and the camera never broke from him walking toward the door, so they couldn't have inserted a double. The only other time was when he kicked at Gremlin and we only saw him from the knees down. Maybe they didn't want him to do that to Gremlin? And even looking for stand-ins, there were only a couple of shots in the whole episode where we didn't see his face - a couple of over the shoulder shots in a long conversation. Just didn't see any need for a stand-in. I'm wondering, since his name is listed on every episode for the two series if maybe he is credited as a stand in for the whole series whether or not they use him in every episode?

But as far as the stunt stand-in, this is an actor who regularly bangs his head on doorways, bumps down cellar steps, and rappels down a cliff. Mystery.

A stunt stand in is different from a stunt double.
    A stunt actually does the stunt. A stunt can be as seemingly innocuous as MrsT leaning out of the tower window in s5e8 (she had a double for that).
    A stunt stand in just stands there while the camera people organise the lights/ropes/padding so the actor and/or stuntman goes off and has lunch or a break.

Also in some cases stunts and whole sections that are filmed can end up on the cutting room floor but the actors/stuntmen still get credited.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    E1 of S6?

Yep. He has another job in a play (I think) and was trying to decide between them. Apparently BP talked to whoever is in charge of the play and they worked things out so he could do both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    A stunt stand in is different from a stunt double.
    A stunt actually does the stunt. A stunt can be as seemingly innocuous as MrsT leaning out of the tower window in s5e8 (she had a double for that).
    A stunt stand in just stands there while the camera people organise the lights/ropes/padding so the actor and/or stuntman goes off and has lunch or a break.

Also in some cases stunts and whole sections that are filmed can end up on the cutting room floor but the actors/stuntmen still get credited.

Ok - that makes sense I guess. I just wonder what the difference was that gave him the different type credit in that one episode? And why MC hasn't needed a stand in for S3 - S5?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Well, do we really know that he wrote an outline extending into S6 and 7? And do we know that they are sticking close to his outline? Some of his comments about not knowing what is going on in S5 can leave one wondering.

Dominic Minghella has said (see quote above from his blog) that he did the entire series architecture. Although he hasn't seen much of s5 (he says*) he left the outline for it.

Given the foreshadowing in each series it has to have been laid out in a clear plan from the beginning.

I know I am really biased but I much prefer s 1 & s2 and the further we get from them the less I see the magical touch of Dominic Minghellas writing. And I think it is the fans that constantly bring up the glory of his writing. On his blog he thanks people for congratulating him on his great work and he says it keeps him going. Writing is a very lonely profession and the feedback erratic. Jack Lothian is also keen to get feedback on his work so you can see it is a common trait amongst writers.

* can we believe this?? If I were a writer I'd be watching every series AVIDLY to see what they were doing to my baby. Heavens, I am just a viewer and I am annoyed at what the French production has done to the original. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - that makes sense I guess. I just wonder what the difference was that gave him the different type credit in that one episode? And why MC hasn't needed a stand in for S3 - S5?

Do you think they stopped crediting the stand in after s 2? It is all very confusing but I do know if there is a stunt there will be a stunt stand in. It takes hours to set those things up and the stuntman is sometimes running around ensuring everything is "just so" for his own safety while the camera and light people want someone standing (or hanging from a rope as the case may be!) on the spot so they can set up the scene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just ran across this video of outtakes from S1 of Reggie Perrin. I had seen some of them before,but this has some I had not seen. Once again MC being adorable, especially when he accidentally calls himself Martin instead of Reggie! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSellcpCPW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am deliberately taking this off-forum. Please PM me if you want to know how to view this.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she was "late" at all, she maybe just put it down to nerves. But -- if she got pregnant midway through her cycle, then it took another week to schedule a wedding three weeks away -- well, she could have been as much as two weeks late, and some subtle/not so subtle changes would start happening. Being her first time, she might not recognize them.

One possibility -- she half knew and she half didn't know. The part that suspected the possibility, led her to lash out at her friends joking about the possibility of their having children, and to consider seriously what it might mean that she didn't think DM would even want to be a godfather.

But, on the other hand, would she have taken off for London and a new job if she knew she was pregnant? Hard to think that she would, if she knew that she would be "sitting alone in a bedsit."

so, another one of those delightful ambiguities. But I think that we're probably supposed to think that she didn't know.

Good points, New Park, and I think that the ambiguities are part of that space that is left for the viewer to get involved with in good writing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are really true professionals, aren't they.

I heard MC being interviewed once, and the interviewer asked him if, since they ran a family business, they spent a lot of time talking about it a home. Martin said, no, they tried not to and he had learned the hard way not, for example, to ask about the daily price of a Steadi-Cam in bed. :)

Ahhhh, thanks for that MC interview bit as I must have missed that one somehow. Such a funny man!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff you found Susie! I found the info on the end credits answered a question I had. For S1 & S2, etc............et al.

Yes, I found it very enlightening and was astounded at the exacting description of how, or when, or what size, or in what order, things are proscribed in the credits.

I also found interesting the contractual rights of both writer and producer, their working relationship roles, etc. Very explicit in many regards, even down to what they may or may not say to some degree.

Like was said: who knew? But now we do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just ran across this video of outtakes from S1 of Reggie Perrin. I had seen some of them before,but this has some I had not seen. Once again MC being adorable, especially when he accidentally calls himself Martin instead of Reggie! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSellcpCPW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks so much for the link, Shop Girl.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    It looks like MC is scheduled to appear on This Morning tomorrow (Wednesday), at 12:10, Technically, wouldn't that be This Afternoon?:)

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are really true professionals, aren't they.

I heard MC being interviewed once, and the interviewer asked him if, since they ran a family business, they spent a lot of time talking about it a home. Martin said, no, they tried not to and he had learned the hard way not, for example, to ask about the daily price of a Steadi-Cam in bed. :)

Ooh, yes, I bet he did learn the hard way. That's really funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Must admit, I stuggle to think what exactly Dominic Minghella is (or should be) credited with !! What did he do?? Wasnt he (just) a writer initially? IMO he is a bit creepy and trying at living off the name!! :D:D x Personally dont rate him :confused::confused: x

Hi, RubiRedi, haven't seen you here in quite awhile. Good to see you here again.

Here's a question for you, as a long-term forum "oldie" from way back. I've noticed that a lot of the people who participated over the years, going back to the beginning, especially the old DM hands from the UK, haven't popped up here in quite a long time. Do you think when we get closer to S6 filming, or into S6 filming, they might return?

About Minghella, I know very little about him so I can't really comment. At his blog he does seem nice enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I bet MC would Love this Clydesdale Super Bowl commercial!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPG7PcI67dE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You know we all thought about MC when we saw the Budweiser Super Bowl commercial. And, yes, how sweet it was. Baby Clydesdale. Growing up. Going away to his "job". Awwww.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I would have to disagree with you there, Craig Ferguson still gets credit for (???) To me MC and his Mrs came up with the basic idea and (IMO) still run the show (James Henry being a prime example) I think if u asked Dominic M what was going on with Doc M at this stage he wouldnt have a clue!!! Its just a job for them!!

I dont doubt Dominic Ms talent but do think he feeds off the name(and particularly the sucess of the show)!! but in a kinda sleekit way - and thats what I dont like about him.

Now that Im up and running, I also need to say that I think Caroline Catz is very much underrated and for me just makes the show!! Can you imagine the Docs Mrs being anyone else???? Both of them play it to a tee!! thats what makes it so good eh!!!;)

I have a feeling (a suspicious feeling? hah - just watched the ep) that there's a failure to communicate here and that the Americans here don't realize that when you say "the name", you're referring to his award-winning brother's name and that there are people in the UK who apparently believe the siblings are taking advantage of their dead brother. I think there's knowledge, discussion, and opinions on one side of the pond that we don't know about on our side of the pond. I can't take sides, pleading ignorance.

On the other hand, I tend to channel Elaine Benes of "Seinfeld" when it comes to "The English Patient."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree that the pregnancy announcement was not in the letter. That was actually the speculation on this forum during S4 filming.

But it is interesting to wonder if she knew at the time she called off the wedding.

I don't think she did. Not sure why, I just think she didn't.

Well, okay, here's something. If she knew, and she was part of the mutual calling off of the wedding, I would have a big problem. So I prefer to think she didn't know. I don't like the following scenario:

Louisa (for her part) calls off the wedding, knowing she is pregnant, and not telling the doc, just calling it off. No, don't like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    On that note, and sorry to jump ahead of the re-watch, but I noticed some continuity from S4e8 to S5e1. Mr. Hubble - the man whose arm has gone all tingly in S5e1 can be seen with his arm in a sling in S4e8. He's in one of the crowd shots when Pauline is broadcasting the birth. I just noticed that a few weeks ago when that ep was on television here.
    I checked IMDB and they only list him in 3 episodes, but I swear I see him all the time in the background. Perhaps besides the 3 credited episodes he has been used as an uncredited extra in others.

He was Chippy the crabman in this week's rewatch episode. I believe he appeared as Chippy/Chip and/or crabman in some other prior eps too. Not sure why he suddenly became Mr. Hubble. But that's OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Biff and I watched S5E7 again, because her S4 disc wasn't working in our chat tonight.

We wondered a few nifty things:
    1. LG is entirely ill-prepared to deal with a newborn. Aside from having her errant mom paw off the child to Angie the convicted felon, at the beginning she directs her babysitting mom to take JH to the "clappy time at the library" or to "Singalong Susie", activities that a five week old infant would have no connection to at all.

2. I think that the cat sanctuary woman may actually have money and is hiding that fact in her whining begging for funds. She does have a fairly decent sized home and is caring for a number of cats. We get the largest indication she is faking all the money stuff at the end when she begins crying she can't afford paying for the new window and Penhale backs down from requiring her to do so. As soon as he leaves, her crying immediately ceases, she pulls herself together, and she gives DM a slightly collaborative look which leaves him from HIS look suddenly suspicious.

3. LG is drawn again and again to DM in his role as Doctor Savior. She falls in love with him after the Peter Cronk episode. She agrees to marry him after the Holly episode. And, here in this episode, she once again attempts to reconnect with him, to spend the evening with him at Large Restaurant Tunisia night affair, after he saves her mom. I think seeing him as the strong, capable man taking care of others is probably one of the defining attractions LG has for DM. Of course, she is shockingly out of touch with reality to think he would spend the evening at the Large's, listening to loud music, mingling with others, and eating cheap food badly prepared. And he, of course, is too dense to realize she was suddenly trying to reconnect with him on a deeper level.

Like them all, great episode!

Yeah, grrr, grrr. That DVD worked just fine tonight in my main DVD player. It just won't play in my computer. And others will, so the problem isn't my PC.

I've got some comments about the episode, btw, but it may be tomorrow before I get them posted.

I'll say this. With the benefit of time passed and emotions calmed and knowledge of what happened in S5, I find that this episode is a really, really good one, and it's funny and I even find Edith to be a fascinating character. She's got some great lines!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    And when he reassures her that her mother is going to be fine when she pauses on getting into the ambulance ( looking for his reassurance )...

They are THAT close in those moments...:cry:

I know, Blue-eyes, they are. they're close, so close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just looking at his twitter feed. Apparently he has a big role in E1. A couple of our members have been tweeting with him :D

REALLY? Maybe I need to finally sign up for twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, dcdmfan, you called the Chippy the crabman thing before I did and I essentially just repeated what you said. Saw your post later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I think it is probably a legal thing that requires them to list Dominic Minghella and Craig Ferguson in the credits. I am pretty sure they both get paid royalties every time the show is broadcast.

Good call! I figured as much as well, and that's what led me to start researching credits protocol to help sort it for us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you that he appears to be a very talented man and yes he has accomplished more than you or I could dream .I didnt think I was saying unkind things about him, I was just voicing my opinion - which I thought this forum was all about!! but hey!!!!! I was in no way trying to bring him down, but still dont get the credit thing (like why is Craig Ferguson still credited - might be a legal thing?) OK he was there in the beginning (and very much a part of it) but then they parted (its just a job - he's away to something new)! So why would you expect him to answer questions relating to his job 6 yrs previous x

RubyRedi, welcome back to the forum! As a relative newbie - only on for the past year - as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier! And we do not always have to agree (I definitely disagree about Minghella.) How boring if we did. IMO the forum should not just be an echo chamber. What we have in common is we all love DM. Do stay engaged and thanks for adding to the conversation!
This discussion has been closed.