Should babies be banned from cinemas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just come out of a cinema where we had a child crying the whole way through. He was taken outside by the father to calm him down but shortly after coming back in, he'd start crying again.

I get that there are films that are specifically targeted at children but also think that some consideration should be taken. A crying baby ruins the experience for everyone.

I think if a child is too young to control themselves, they shouldn't be allowed in.

Similarly I think phones should be confiscated at the door and returned at the end because there's nothing more irritating than a bright white light coming on and sometimes staying on for minutes at a time during films. That would probably be alot of work but how many times have you seen someone light up their phone mid film??!

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was there I would have been asking the parents to leave or getting a member of staff. If the child isn't going to sleep or sit quietly the parents shouldn't be putting the rest of the paying customer through that constant distraction. It's incredibly selfish of the parents to take a child if they know he/she will react like that.

If they really want to see the latest film then get a babysitter.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember ever seeing a baby in a cinema. Some places have specific parent-and-baby screenings, which seem like a good idea, but generally I think parents see a night out as an opportunity to get away from the baby for a few hours.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adults are bad enough.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I can't remember ever seeing a baby in a cinema. Some places have specific parent-and-baby screenings, which seem like a good idea, but generally I think parents see a night out as an opportunity to get away from the baby for a few hours.

Yes, they have Cinebabies screenings at the Watershed here in Bristol. Brilliant idea.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be illegal to bring babies into cinemas and it still should be. What kind of selfish prat inflicts a crying baby on a cinema audience?>:(
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have newbies screenings at our local Odeon.

I agree at normal screenings babies should not be allowed, along with eating, drinking and mobile phones, possibly teenage groups as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    They have newbies screenings at our local Odeon.

I agree at normal screenings babies should not be allowed, along with eating, drinking and mobile phones, possibly teenage groups as well.

Seems a little ageist, not all teenagers are arseholes...
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    possibly teenage groups as well.
    Teens have gone to the cinema in groups for decades. Introducing them (and all age brackets for that matter) to more considerate behaviour would be the better option - not least for the box-office takings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, and whilst I agree with mobile phones, I quite like eating a large popcorn or nachos, then washing it down with a large coke as I watch a film. So I disagree with him on those points too.

I've never had much of a problems with crying babies in cinemas before, which is quite surprising since I go all the time. It's only happened during a film I went to see once in the past two years, if not three. And it's not really surprising to most, but I often see large groups of teens at the cinema. They seldom cause problems.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member

Not all......but mist are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Not all......but mist are.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. And ageist.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say ban babies, people who eat crisps and farters from all cinemas.
    Oh and kick the ones out who put their phones on vibrate also.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Agreed, and whilst I agree with mobile phones, I quite like eating a large popcorn or nachos, then washing it down with a large coke as I watch a film. So I disagree with him on those points too.

I've never had much of a problems with crying babies in cinemas before, which is quite surprising since I go all the time. It's only happened during a film I went to see once in the past two years, if not three. And it's not really surprising to most, but I often see large groups of teens at the cinema. They seldom cause problems.

The worst kind of person in a cinema to me...having to listen to people crunch and slurp through a film, very distracting makes watching the film unbearable.

Thankfully they do midweek early screenings when I can avoid the eaters & drinkers.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been through this experience but I have often wondered about this

Babies cry. It's how it is. But it is down to the parents and it is selfish of them if they do bring an obviously screaming baby into a cinema where people want to enjoy a film.

If it did become a problem throughout the film, i would of easily had left the screening and complained because you have every right to.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    The worst kind of person in a cinema to me...having to listen to people crunch and slurp through a film, very distracting makes watching the film unbearable.

Thankfully they do midweek early screenings when I can avoid the eaters & drinkers.

I agree. And, if you can't finish your MejaJumboBucket, take it with you and put it in the bin - don't strew it all over the floor. ****ing peasants.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but they should have screenings for parents who wish to take them I noticed one Chan does think its ODEON others should have this to maybe a day time screening but not in busy times like evenings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've seen the parent screenings, do they do them at Cineworld? I've seen movies for juniors which I avoid. I don't mind popcorn and drinks, that is part of the cinema experience for alot of people... also don't think we should look at banning teens just because of a few bad apples.

People closest did complain to the father. I was at the back so couldn't but he seemed to ignore everyone beyond taking the child outside to calm him down only to come back with the exact same thing happening a few minutes later.
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a total lack of managerial control in cinemas these days. In my day, babes in arms were not admitted and of course, it would be illegal to bring them in to a film with an age restricting certificate. I always made sure that the notice "the management reserve the right of admission" was prominently displayed at the box office. A cinema is private property and nobody has a right to enter. Anybody could be asked to leave, without giving a reason, and if they refused they were trespassing and the police would be called to remove them. Of course, if the manager did not have a good reason to eject them, he or she could be in trouble with their employers (unless they owned the place as well).
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I am paying £15 to see a film at the IMAX or a lower amount for a non IMAX showing, then I expect to see the film without any interruption from babies, teenagers or anyone else that should keep their traps shut during the presentation. If however the film has been interrupted by someone, then I expect the cinema in question to compensate, if they are unable to compensate or remove the problem customer from the building, then as soon as I get home, I will illegally download the film in question & then watch it in the comfort of my own home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just come out of a cinema where we had a child crying the whole way through. He was taken outside by the father to calm him down but shortly after coming back in, he'd start crying again.

I get that there are films that are specifically targeted at children but also think that some consideration should be taken. A crying baby ruins the experience for everyone.

I think if a child is too young to control themselves, they shouldn't be allowed in.

Similarly I think phones should be confiscated at the door and returned at the end because there's nothing more irritating than a bright white light coming on and sometimes staying on for minutes at a time during films. That would probably be alot of work but how many times have you seen someone light up their phone mid film??!

BIB will never happen, how much will that cost cinemas when phones go missing
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be illegal to bring them in to a film with an age restricting certificate.

This appears not to be true. For example, see http://watermans.ticketsolve.com/shows/126510578/events?show_id=126510578 where tickets are on sale for Parent & Baby Screenings of 15 certificate films. It is however stipulated that babies must be "up to one year old". Apparently this is permitted if the cinema is granted an exemption by the local authority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ironically, the worst kind of cinema-goer to me is one who gets grouchy about things like food :p Thankfully for me, it doesn't look like many cinemas will be banning it any time soon :D

Now, a mobile phone on "loud" is another matter entirely....
    I agree. And, if you can't finish your MejaJumboBucket, take it with you and put it in the bin - don't strew it all over the floor. ****ing peasants.

I'm probably one of the few who try to not throw their s**t around after I've finished with it, but yes I can see where you're coming from in that sense.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people eating is the one thing that annoys me about going to the cinema. not just the crunching of popcorn or, even worse, crisps, but the rustling of packets. sometimes it seems to go on for ages, the person completely ignorant to the noise they're causing. nachos are the worst.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started telling people to turn their phones off if they turn them on. even if they aren't directly in front of you it's distracting, a bright light out of the corner of your eye. the moment you tap them on the shoulder DO YOU WANT TO TURN THAT OFF they get embarrassed and mumble an apology.

you should all do it next time someone does.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

We should also have 18+ film screenings. I know logistically in the majority of cinemas there won't be enough space to do this and financially it probably isn't worth it, but there is nothing worse than a bunch of 15 year olds. I know I generalise, but the fact of the matter is that it happens to me every time I got to the cinema to see a movie that isn't rated 18 (I go weekly with my unlimited card). I would like to say the majority are respectful and don't just talk through the entire thing... but well, that just ain't true.