The Missing

Comments

• PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    Three things,

How did Alain know Olly was chasing after a fox, surely only Olly knew why he ran off?

Sylvie couldn't be protected about Alain's guilt for long either, surely Tony must have realised that.

How did Olly, who looked seriously injured, get himself out of the boot of the car and to a window with no medical help?

It is frustrating to realise that all the pondering and trying to work things out were for naught, as it was a fox and a random drunk who caused the disappearance of Olly.

In regards to point one, Alain doesn't know, he wouldn't have been able to tell the parents that but we as viewers get to see that as it fades back to the night in question.
    Point 2 indeed he would know that but I suppose he honoured the wish of a dying man.

Point 3 knocked out, looked worse than he actually was
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    OK, two things I've noticed from certain posts.

1 - People quite clearly don't watch things properly, some of the questions asked are quite unbelievable. it's like people are either doing the washing up or something or just on a wind up.

2 - The fall out as to whether or not Ollie is dead reminds me of the same thing happening after the end of The Sopranos, when David Chase, who after he was asked whether or not Tony was dead, said something like - ' Can't people work things out for themselves? What did you want us to do, have his brains splattered all over the screen!'

Ollie's quite clearly dead, the amount of blood and the ruthless Romanian told you that. So why show a dead child's blood soaked body just for the sake of it?

As for the ending, thought it was brilliant, and as a few others have pointed out I don't think there was one single person who called it right. I think I actually applauded when I saw him following the fox, very clever indeed!

I got two things right at least, Ollie being dead and Georges being involved in the cover up, which is probably not gonna be enough for me to become the new George Smiley!
  • evidentially_obevidentially_ob Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    There was a fox sticker on a toy box in one episode, if I remember correctly.

Minutes before the finale started I watched a bit of ep 1 again and noticed the fox link: the fox in the credits scene and the fox held by ollie in the car. Also noticed for the first time that Tony picked up ollies bag etc from the side of the bar in front of people who should have seen if a boy was being led/taken away and dropped his stuff. At that point I assumed he had wandered off, but that he was then abducted or ravaged by foxes! I don't think we knew how close the compound was to a road so the whole being hit by a car would not have occurred to most viewers.

Still loved series for previous stated reasons. A realistic study of the polar ways parents might deal with the disappearance/death of a young child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading through the end of this thread it's no suprise that British TV is oftne so dumbed down.

If things aren't wrapped up in a nice 2 hour midsommer murders package then people just aren't happy.

The ending was very good.

Maybe some sort of mega paedo conspiracy would have been good for that instant 'wow' factor but no one is really going to be talking about it for long.

People also seemed to be confused by the notion of sub plots. Everything that happens on screen does not have to relate back to the central story at all times. Just because Bourg isn't integral to the ending doesn't mean he should just be discarded, he was a very very good character who deserved to have a conclusion to his story. The guy who played him was superb.

Some things people are bringing up weren't even red herrings, it's just stuff they're making up in their own minds.

all in all, very good show and well worth the 8 hours and more I've put into it. If you're disappointed to have watched that, stick to the rugrats in future.
  • Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I find satisfying is that the whole story indulged us in our own state of paedo-hysteria, whilst delivering an ending that is grounded in the simple reality that a child is hundreds of times more likely to be run over than be abducted by a nonce.

Very good point I never thought of it like that but that is very true.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Question- did anyone laugh when it shot to the scene of the fox on the grass? :blush:
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three things,

How did Alain know Olly was chasing after a fox, surely only Olly knew why he ran off?

Sylvie couldn't be protected about Alain's guilt for long either, surely Tony must have realised that.

How did Olly, who looked seriously injured, get himself out of the boot of the car and to a window with no medical help?

It is frustrating to realise that all the pondering and trying to work things out were for naught, as it was a fox and a random drunk who caused the disappearance of Olly.

I think that's mixing up the way the writers were telling the story. The writers told us (the viewers) what happened, Alain couldn't tell the parents, they wouldn't know about the fox.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny 99 wrote: »
    OK, two things I've noticed from certain posts.

1 - People quite clearly don't watch things properly, some of the questions asked are quite unbelievable. it's like people are either doing the washing up or something or just on a wind up.

2 - The fall out as to whether or not Ollie is dead reminds me of the same thing happening after the end of The Sopranos, when David Chase, who after he was asked whether or not Tony was dead, said something like - ' Can't people work things out for themselves? What did you want us to do, have his brains splattered all over the screen!'

Ollie's quite clearly dead, the amount of blood and the ruthless Romanian told you that. So why show a dead child's blood soaked body just for the sake of it?

As for the ending, thought it was brilliant, and as a few others have pointed out I don't think there was one single person who called it right. I think I actually applauded when I saw him following the fox, very clever indeed!

I got two things right at least, Ollie being dead and Georges being involved in the cover up, which is probably not gonna be enough for me to become the new George Smiley!

When did we see a blood soaked body?
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was excellent, made perfect sense.

I was completely wrong about everything, of course.
  • Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    In 2006 he got medal 12, the one he lost.
    He got up to medal 20 which we seen when all laid out.
    Does not make sense at all if he is a booze bag.

He was weak, deceitful and used to hiding things from his wife.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scout2006 wrote: »
    I just assumed that a man who had the balls to slash someone's throat in public would have no compunction in killing a child in private.
    Indeed. Plus, when he went into the house and saw Ollie (alive) there was little blood, but there was a lot afterwards... they didn't need to show how he killed him, the blood implied that it wasn't a bloodless death. Did we need to see the body of a dead child (we didn't see the Garrett tapes either, we still felt we had when Tony looked at them on the camcorder) ... sometimes less is more.
    How the hell was Alain getting all the medals if he was on the booze from 2006?????
    I felt he'd been convincing people of his sobriety until he ran Ollie over - getting medals but really not being sober (a secret drinker) - but, after running Ollie over, never drank again.
    chloeb wrote: »
    It is possible of course that although they were sub plots they may link with the New Case
    Entirely possible, yes.
    scout2006 wrote: »
    But that's what happens in a police investigation. You take statements and follow up on any information gleaned from them. You give press conferences asking for information and then take more statements and on and on. It's not unknown for the investigation of one crime to uncover other crimes. We're so used to one hour/one episode crime dramas we've got out of the habit of investing time in quality character driven pieces. Personally, I'm glad we're going back to the sort of series that inspired the writers of The Killing and Spiral and The Bridge etc.
    True, but the police weren't uncovering some of these crimes, Tony was .. and meting out his own form of justice. That doesn't happen in real life, but then this wasn't real life ;)
    One thing I find satisfying is that the whole story indulged us in our own state of paedo-hysteria, whilst delivering an ending that is grounded in the simple reality that a child is hundreds of times more likely to be run over than be abducted by a nonce.
    Indeed! It's interesting that, during this series run, The Paedophile Next Door was shown on Channel 4, featuring a man, a self-professed paedophile, who refuses to act on his desires. It seemed to be more than a coincidence. It was The Missing that made me seek out the documentary a few days after it was shown.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed it immensely for seven weeks, so I'm not going to slate it now. But I hate anything where justice is not seen to be done, however true to real life that may be.
    The evil Romanian killer escaped, the perfect ending for me would have been to let Tony watch him die, slowly and painfully.
    Well there was a lot of injustice, including the fact that Tony took the law into his own hands on more than one occasion!
  • AneesaAneesa Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think we saw a blood soaked body. It was a puddle of blood, then the viewers didn't actually see what was in the back of the van, but we are led to believe that it was Ollys body.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We didn't. That's the point being made. We saw blood on the floor, the ruthless Romanian said he'd killed Ollie, and Georges reacted in a way that suggested he had seen the body. We don't need to see everything on screen.

(I'd agree with all of that previous poster's comments, if not for the last scene.)
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please explain to me the reason Baptiste would phone Tony....what was that all about????
    To tell him that Georges was dead
    Why did the mayor have Khalid killed? What information did he have?
    He was the one who found the sobriety medal that Alain dropped
    Three things,

The fox was on the road with Oliie when he hit him(possibly)

Maybe he wanted her to have one more day of peace before the shit storm

Alain left the boot open after he had driven into the garage

Well, I think that was the best bit of television I have seen for a long time.

Any one who thinks Ollie is alive only needs to look at Georges' face when he is walking away from the house to know that he has seen Ollie's dead body.

Perhaps it is Tony's punishment for killing Garratt that he is doomed to wander the earth looking for Ollie and never finding him, just like the ancient mariner.

The clues about the fox were there, we just chose to get hung up on the bees.

The writers need to take a bow, they gave us just enough information to send us in the wrong direction but after that we made it all up in our own heads, very clever.

I will miss you all but will see some of you aboard at the captain's cocktail party.🚢🎉
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    welshnanny wrote: »
    I have been really touched by this series in the same way a sad song or a beautiful painting or a touching poem moves me.

Throughout the previous 7 episodes the writers showed us different scenarios of what COULD have happened to Ollie,there was light and shade and hidden depths in the characterisation,they showed how a placid-ish family man was driven to murder and eventually to the brink of madness.We forgave Tony for murdering Garrett ,the murderer was still our hero and we rooted for him all along,right there behind him in his quest for the truth.

After all the horror of Garrett and Vincent,it was Tony who was eventually arrested for hanging round and following young boys even though his motive was innocent,the difference between them was not obvious to an onlooker who didn't know Tony's story,in Russia he was just another weirdo hanging round kids' playgrounds.

I thoroughly enjoyed it

That's a very good summing up as to how I viewed it too.

Compelling viewing and just like in real life there is often not a neat and tidy ending.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    So what are we all thinking...was that Ollie?

If it's not who drew the big ears pic in the snow...Tony?

I suppose we will never know & have to speculate as the next missing looks like a new story.

I think they've left it so you can believe whichever you want to.

It might be that the Romanians sold him on and Alan was lying or hadn't been told the full truth himself and he drew the toy.

Or

Olly was murdered by the romanians and the Mayor saw his body with his throat slit in the back of the van.
    Tony has gone insane, following up anywhere he believes Romanians have a link to crime (like Russia) and targeting any children of the right age that resemble Olly. And he drew the toy in the snow.

Personally i think it is the second scenario. Olly is dead buut Tony can't let go.
    Forum Member
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    To tell him that Georges was dead

He was the one who found the sobriety medal that Alain dropped

The fox was on the road with Oliie when he hit him(possibly)

Maybe he wanted her to have one more day of peace before the shit storm

Alain left the boot open after he had driven into the garage

Well, I think that was the best bit of television I have seen for a long time.

Any one who thinks Ollie is alive only needs to look at Georges' face when he is walking away from the house to know that he has seen Ollie's dead body.

Perhaps it is Tony's punishment for killing Garratt that he is doomed to wander the earth looking for Ollie and never finding him, just like the ancient mariner.

The clues about the fox were there, we just chose to get hung up on the bees.

The writers need to take a bow, they gave us just enough information to send us in the wrong direction but after that we made it all up in our own heads, very clever.

I will miss you all but will see some of you aboard at the captain's cocktail party.🚢🎉

Or a terrified boy bound and gagged who'd possibly just been abused.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't. That's the point being made. We saw blood on the floor, the ruthless Romanian said he'd killed Ollie, and Georges reacted in a way that suggested he had seen the body. We don't need to see everything on screen.

(I'd agree with all of that previous poster's comments, if not for the last scene.)

Why should I be expected to believe in an ending when it's not presented to me in a satisfactory way?

Dodgy people claim they've killed someone and I'm just supposed to take that as the gospel. No, show me the damn body. We've seen blood before during Garrett's death. Why not quash any doubts and show us Olly's battered and bruised body?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WOW..I missed that, well spotted !
  • scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    In 2006 he got medal 12, the one he lost.
    He got up to medal 20 which we seen when all laid out.
    Does not make sense at all if he is a booze bag.

AA and your sponsor take your word that you haven't been drinking if you choose not to admit to it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I think they've left it open the fact that the body was never seen , the killer was
    a people trafficker and the Olly at 13 photo fit is definitely the boy in Russia .
    Loved the series but pretty gash ending I thought , I understand the replies on here ,
    not everything is black and white .
    Forum Member
    Why did the detective Charlamaine (?) withhold the evidence? Was it on Georges instruction? Not really sure how the journalist fitted into all of this.
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight when Alain entered the bar and looked at the TV France were playing Brazil? Which was that year's World Cup quarter final. I understood Ollie as having been taken/run over the night of the final against Italy? Probably nothing but something I just noticed!