Options

Dad takes 9 month old son SURFING

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    feeling pretty annoyed with this op, i mean he was moaning about dishwasher tablets the other day and dosent even have a job..so what would he know about anything

so im not going to rise to it and relax as i dont want a ban

what does him not having a job have anything to do with it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    These were 2m tall breaking waves (and a cubic metre of seawater weighs about a tonne).

But you're right of course. Even though a small baby doesn't understand danger, such as the consequences of slipping from his dad's grasp, the fact that he's enjoying it makes it makes it perfectly alright.

What, having an opinion which is different from that of most others? Perhaps that's why I posted.

There was no danger of the baby slipping from his fathers grasp as he was strapped to the board.
    https://vimeo.com/121232319

"There is no danger here!
    This is the easiest wave I know and I know a lot of them.
    And just so you all know this child was born in water, he knows how to control his breathing under water and just if you wondering there was 5 other surfers friend around including a lady lifeguard, just for the what if. Now take a closer look on the absolute focus on my friend (the dad) I know this man for over 35 years and all of them years we've been surfing."

This quote comes from a man called Gabriel Ortiz. Who knows the father and both he and Jorge are experienced surfers.

Of course you have every right to your opinion as do I.

I really have no problem with this.
    Why not google Spencer Elden and Nirvana? Just might give some perspective to the discussion.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kastrian wrote: »
    There was no danger of the baby slipping from his fathers grasp as he was strapped to the board.
    The OP's link didn't mention if the child was strapped to the board. It does say the camera was strapped to it.
    "There is no danger here!
    This is the easiest wave I know and I know a lot of them.
    And just so you all know this child was born in water, he knows how to control his breathing under water and just if you wondering there was 5 other surfers friend around including a lady lifeguard, just for the what if. Now take a closer look on the absolute focus on my friend (the dad) I know this man for over 35 years and all of them years we've been surfing."

Of course you have every right to your opinion as do I.
    That's fine. But those extra details didn't appear in the OP's link, nor yours (unless we have to trawl the comments), and I suspect many of the pro comments here were made irrespective of the actual circumstances and of whatever precautions had been taken.

They just seemed to think there was absolutely nothing to be concerned about in taking babies on surfboards, full stop (so a few babies drown: but they could die in a car accident!). While a risk assessment depended on whether the baby thought it was fun.

(Although I wouldn't like to be tied down to a surfboard myself. If it turned upside-down I'd be in trouble; the board will be more buoyant than me.)
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's brilliant. I wish i had the forethought and cool factor to have taken ours surfing at a young age. What a skill to have!

Is it a great skill to have?
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It's yet another example of the risk adverse mentality that's crippling society. Life is meant to be lived! Also explored and experienced. But too many people are afraid of what 'might' happen, so they cower in front of their computers at home where it's safe and lobby for more restrictions on people who are braver than they are, justifying their actions with the rationalisation 'If just one life is saved'.

A pox on the lot of them.

I wouldn't characterise what you have described as political correctness though (which seems to have become lazy short hand for 'something I don't like').

That said, you have not written anything here with which I disagree :)
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a great skill to have?

Absolutely! Do you not? I don't know anyone who can surf but if I did they would no doubt be my coolest friend and I would introduce them thus.

Watersports are just cool.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Until I watched the video I thought it was a really irresponsible thing to do (I'm actually quite scared of the sea so that influenced my opinion) but having watched it, you can see dad is really competent and the baby is clearly having fun so what's the harm? It's also good that the baby is learning not to be scared of the sea.

Well, I think everyone should have a healthy fear of the sea.

Some very experienced surfers died in the sea near here last summer. They knew the beach, they were there with their teenage children, who survived. The sea can be very dangerous, even if you know what you are doing.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feeling pretty annoyed with this op, i mean he was moaning about dishwasher tablets the other day and dosent even have a job..so what would he know about anything

:D Moaning about dishwasher tablets? Are they hindering the job prospects?

I'm going to go have a read - I am really curious about these tablets. You'd think they were fairly inoffensive. :confused: Fabric conditioner that won't drain away, now, that's another matter. >:(

Oh and, yeah, relax. Do that. :)
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Aww he looks like he's having a great time. Some young children really love all that daredevil stuff, my youngest sister loved being swung higher and higher on the swings and my god daughter loves being thrown up in the air and caught.

Ok I know it's not on a par with surfing.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I wouldn't characterise what you have described as political correctness though (which seems to have become lazy short hand for 'something I don't like').

That said, you have not written anything here with which I disagree :)

I didn't mean to suggest it was political correctness, which to me is making a baseless assumption about what will be offensive or inappropriate to a group of people and acting preemptively, but the two do tend to go hand in hand because the root cause is fear. Fear of offence. Fear of harm.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Aww he looks like he's having a great time. Some young children really love all that daredevil stuff, my youngest sister loved being swung higher and higher on the swings and my god daughter loves being thrown up in the air and caught.

Ok I know it's not on a par with surfing.

Exactly, babies have no concept or fear of danger.

Anyone who has been swimming in the ocean knows how powerful those waves are. Surfing is a dangerous sport and that guy was riding a big wave with his son. Fatigue can quickly take over if you get into trouble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    The OP's link didn't mention if the child was strapped to the board. It does say the camera was strapped to it.

That's fine. But those extra details didn't appear in the OP's link, nor yours (unless we have to trawl the comments), and I suspect many of the pro comments here were made irrespective of the actual circumstances and of whatever precautions had been taken.

They just seemed to think there was absolutely nothing to be concerned about in taking babies on surfboards, full stop (so a few babies drown: but they could die in a car accident!). While a risk assessment depended on whether the baby thought it was fun.

(Although I wouldn't like to be tied down to a surfboard myself. If it turned upside-down I'd be in trouble; the board will be more buoyant than me.)

I did some trawling on the web about this story, after my post. I got the quote from the comments section on Vimeo. The Gabriel guy in the comments section is apparently a friend of Jorge. I just thought adding the extra information would clarify why and how they went about the babies safety.
    I can understand the concerns of other posters . I just feel differently and that the baby looked like he was enjoying himself.

if I tried to get on a surfboard at my time of life and build, I think the surfboard would be in danger of severe damage. ;).
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't have a job because someone left me disabled at age 22. I don't work because I can't not because I don't want to. Thanks for discriminating against me. Just because I don't work doesn't make me any less of an adult man. If you don't like my threads don't bother reading them nobody is forcing you to participate in them. I have put you on my ignore list so I never need to see anything you write ever again.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dad takes 9 month old son surfing does anyone else agree this is reckless, idiotic and the father could potentially face child endangerment charges?

"A surfer dad took his 9-month-old son out for his first surfing lesson.

43-year-old Jorge Tirado strapped a GoPro camera to the front of his bodyboard to capture the entire experience.

He caught a wave of criticism though from online viewers after he posted the video on the internet.

According to the Daily Mail, the dad defended his decision to take his son surfing, saying: “My son’s first try. Thanks to everyone.’

http://wgntv.com/2015/03/18/watch-as-father-takes-9-month-old-son-surfing-for-first-time/

*I used the above link as I know how much the Daily Mail is hated on here.
    I have three fantastic images of my granddaughter in a triple photo frame when she was about five months.
    She's underwater in a swimming pool, unaided, eyes wide open looking around and captured by a professional photographer.
    Everyone I've shown them to thinks they are stunning.
    And they are! :)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three fantastic images of my granddaughter in a triple photo frame when she was about five months.
    She's underwater in a swimming pool, unaided, eyes wide open looking around and captured by a professional photographer.
    Everyone I've shown them to thinks they are stunning.
    And they are! :)

exactly, this child will probably be jumping out of planes by the time he is 17/18...

thats a good thing, well done dad..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think everyone would be saying this if the little guy had drowned. I wonder what his mother thought I don't think most mothers would say on you go take him.

the father has as much right as the mother to take the child surfing,skydiving, waterskiing, rock climbing whatever
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    exactly, this child will probably be jumping out of planes by the time he is 17/18...

thats a good thing, well done dad..

If you’re going to put your baby in harms way don’t namby-pamby around on a surfboard;

............ get serious and do a proper job of it. :o

Lunchtime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    If you’re going to put your baby in harms way don’t namby-pamby around on a surfboard;

............ get serious and do a proper job of it. :o

Lunchtime.

yes i remember that..but this case is just watersports, however it is safe to assume dad is a competent surfer...
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think everyone would be saying this if the little guy had drowned. I wonder what his mother thought I don't think most mothers would say on you go take him.

:D:D at this post.

Indeed OP, indeed!

I put my son in a rucksack/carrier when he was six months and took him up mountains with me, ffs, get a grip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    :D:D at this post.

Indeed OP, indeed!

I put my son in a rucksack/carrier when he was six months and took him up mountains with me, ffs, get a grip.

i threw my two in the deep end as toddlers..with water wings of course..

op clearly is not a parent
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't that his mother at the end of the video?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a job because someone left me disabled at age 22. I don't work because I can't not because I don't want to. Thanks for discriminating against me. Just because I don't work doesn't make me any less of an adult man. If you don't like my threads don't bother reading them nobody is forcing you to participate in them. I have put you on my ignore list so I never need to see anything you write ever again.

not at all, i was pointing out that you were not in a position to judge the father, who you called a "reckless idiot" i believe??
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was ace. Everyone was loving it.

There's a photo of my mother taking me into the sea when I was 8 months old and I look like the spawn of satan >:( it did not come as naturally to me as this little fella.

Somehow I reckon I'd have been the same as you.

Good for this little fella though.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes i remember that..but this case is just watersports, however it is safe to assume dad is a competent surfer...

That means nothing. People can be competent at all sorts of potentially dangerous activities (sky-diving, fire-fighting, motor-cycle sports...), that doesn't mean it's OK to have a baby with you.
    Pull2Open wrote: »

You mean just walking up paths, or hauling yourself up with crampons and ropes? If the latter, and the child is properly restrained, then I can't see it being that much more dangerous than going by yourself. But since it is a risky activity (and it is, otherwise why bother), why subject the child to the same risks?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i threw my two in the deep end as toddlers..with water wings of course..

op clearly is not a parent

I'm not one but I can't see how the dad was being reckless. If they can get rid of the fear early good for them.