Options

The Actress who plays Lizzy Armstrong

Ian_MasonIan_Mason Posts: 40
Forum Member
This character is supposed to play a disabled person and according to lines in the soap she has a muscular disability and can only walk a few steps.

She can move from her wheelchair to an easy chair

In a recent programme she was in the flat upstairs

How did she get there and how did she get herself and the wheelchair upstairs

Then in another scene she was sitting on a bench with one leg over the other

How can that happen

There seems to be no continuity or connection in the storylines and in the way she is portrayed. She used a motorised wheelchair as well so she cannot get that to an upstairs flat and in the scene she had an ordinary wheelchair

Come on Corrie get the facts right

Comments

• Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a soap.

Btw, Cherylee Houston has the same condition in real life as Izzy, as far as I know.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her name is Izzy not Lizzy. Apparently there is a stairlift installed so when she enters the front door she leaves her outside wheelchair at the bottom and gets on the stairlift and then transfers to another chair at the top. This is a guess as we've not seen her actually use it but it was definitely mentioned by one of the characters that there was a stairlift installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If that is the case, I must have missed it. Then that explains the two wheelchairs

I understand that it is a soap but there needs to be authenticity and realism
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re name - it was a typo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a soap.

Btw, Cherylee Houston has the same condition in real life as Izzy, as far as I know.
    Not sure what Izzy has but
    It was only after she graduated at 23 that she was diagnosed with the rare connective tissue disorder, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Type III hypermobility type. She has used a wheelchair ever since.
    Cheylee Houston's Wiki page
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian_Mason wrote: »
    This character is supposed to play a disabled person and according to lines in the soap she has a muscular disability and can only walk a few steps.

She can move from her wheelchair to an easy chair

In a recent programme she was in the flat upstairs

How did she get there and how did she get herself and the wheelchair upstairs

With a space hopper and a lot of effort
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her name is Izzy not Lizzy. Apparently there is a stairlift installed so when she enters the front door she leaves her outside wheelchair at the bottom and gets on the stairlift and then transfers to another chair at the top. This is a guess as we've not seen her actually use it but it was definitely mentioned by one of the characters that there was a stairlift installed.

I had a friend in school whose sister was in a wheelchair and one corner of their living room was actually a lift but it looked no different to the rest of the room.

Didn't know they had one installed for Izzy.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ehlers-danlos is a hyper mobility disability. In a nutshell her joints can dislocate very easily. I used to support a girl who had it-she did her own chair to chair transfers but anything higher or lower I had to help her with. She could stand and lean at a table, but I had to be behind her incase she had a sudden movement causing something to dislocate.

There are certain things that are overlooked like izzy entering the factory or rovers, (you can sometimes see the stairlift in the Owen-Armstrongs) but in terms of her disability, it's pretty accurate.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Ehlers-danlos is a hyper mobility disability. In a nutshell her joints can dislocate very easily. I used to support a girl who had it-she did her own chair to chair transfers but anything higher or lower I had to help her with. She could stand and lean at a table, but I had to be behind her incase she had a sudden movement causing something to dislocate.

There are certain things that are overlooked like izzy entering the factory or rovers, (you can sometimes see the stairlift in the Owen-Armstrongs) but in terms of her disability, it's pretty accurate.

So is she actually capable of walking, but could hurt herself by doing so?
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Izzy once stood herself up and propped herself up against the bar to get served at the Rovers. It was during Tram Week I think.
    The point is that Izzy has EDS just like Cherrylee and whilst her mobility is very restricted, it isn't impossible for her to stand or move her legs.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,954
    Forum Member
    She was in a radio play not long ago which was inspired by her apparently. It was about how she copes with her condition while trying to live a normal life. I think she suffers a lot of pain and in the play she came across as very determined and quite brave.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admire the way in which Sherylee deals with her problem; very brave.
    But on the character of Izzy: the Windass-Armstrongs are living in Peter's poky little flat above the bookies. There is no room there for a stairlift, or a spare wheelchair in the flat. Even in Soapland they should be a bit realistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Izzy lives in the flat with the Windy-Armstrongs, she still lives in her own house away from the street. The invisible stairlift was installed so she could come and visit regularly. Why they couldn't find accommodation that was more easily accessible, like say a ground floor flat for instance I have no idea but that would mean living away from the street.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What soap are we talking about and who is Lizzy? Are we supposed to be Mystic Meg?
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    What soap are we talking about and who is Lizzy? Are we supposed to be Mystic Meg?

If you read the thread, you'll no doubt gather who we're talking about and what soap as both are mentioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i wish she was going to live with her mum..hopeless actress
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    So is she actually capable of walking, but could hurt herself by doing so?

I don't know about the actress and her limitations.

The girl I supported could transfer herself between chair and something else. But she couldn't walk unaided, and required leg and ankle braces. It is a painful condition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    I don't know about the actress and her limitations.

The girl I supported could transfer herself between chair and something else. But she couldn't walk unaided, and required leg and ankle braces. It is a painful condition.
    Thanks. I suppose there are varying degrees as with a lot of things.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    What's with the urge for Corrie to be realistic with a character using a wheelchair when it barely hits any kind of realism level with any other character or story line. A chair lift was mentioned when the family moved into the flat so presumably she uses this. It would be rather dull seeing her getting on and off the stair lift every time she came to visit and anyway have we ever seen a character walk up the stairs to the flat :kitty:
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Izzy lives in the flat with the Windy-Armstrongs, she still lives in her own house away from the street. The invisible stairlift was installed so she could come and visit regularly. Why they couldn't find accommodation that was more easily accessible, like say a ground floor flat for instance I have no idea but that would mean living away from the street.[/QUOTE]
    Could they not have moved in with Izzy when they were evicted? that way, they would only have one lot of rent to pay between them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    hopefully she goes whizzing through the air , crashing through the window, like on gremlins film :D Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could they not have moved in with Izzy when they were evicted? that way, they would only have one lot of rent to pay between them.

As mentioned that would mean them permanently living away from Coronation Street and the producers do not like it when regular characters do not live on the street. It's ok for Izzy & Audrey as they regularly visit their families but the rest of the family are not allowed to live elsewhere.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my usual nickname for you, no.

Try reading the thread.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Not my usual nickname for you, no.

Try reading the thread.

Glad to know I mean so much that you actually have a nickname for me. Funnily enough I never give you a second thought whoever you may be?!!