Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always loved 'Working my way back to You'.

And Forgive Me Girl wasn't bad either, a worthy Number 1!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well that was a cracking episode...not a duff song. And they only showed half of the Peter Gabriel video in this full length broadcast so it wasn't edited for the earlier showing after all. Highlight : Siouxsie Sioux.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

I was too old for Rainbow which was first broadcast when I was eleven but recall watching it on one occasion with a younger sibling during the Christmas holiday in 1972 and taking an instant shine to the brunette singer in the resident folk group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZjFEc0Lpp4

20 months down the line my hormones were all over the place and I would habitually turn Japanese in her honour after watching Rainbow with my brother during the 1974 school summer holiday. :blush:

When Rod, Jane and Freddy replaced them I stopped watching.

I don't remember the brunette singer - but do remember & liked Rod, Jane & Freddy!! :D

For some reason - when I little - I always wanted to be a kids TV presenter!!! :o
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the musicians strike due?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was enjoying the Peter Gabriel song Games Without Frontiers as I'd never seen the video for it before, and just as it got started at the first time the chorus kicks in they cut the rest out.

I really enjoyed Marti Webb's song and performance. When I was a kid I just thought it was one of those boring tame songs which wasn't trendy or cool to like, but I appreciate it much more now as an adult. What a good singer she was.

Siouxsie and The Banshees' Happy House was easily the highlight of the episode for me.
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Blimey, they cleared Legs off the scaffolding quick to get Secret Affair on in their place.

I am not a fan of the scaffold set. I find it very intrusive on the actual performances. It will become a feature on occasions in the next week of two. I love everything about the rest of the show, mind.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steve Wright really was a pillock. Otherwise, not a bad ep.
  • Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    There I was thinking " I've loved every song this week - when have I ever said that before?"

and then we got to Number One.........Damn.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Blimey, they cleared Legs off the scaffolding quick to get Secret Affair on in their place.

I think Secret Affair must have been recorded before the rest of the show as they played to an empty studio, not one person in the audience.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The editing department actually got it right this week! Left in all the best songs. Guess it wasn't their fault Peter Gabriel lasted no more than a minute!
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I remember watching this episode first time around and being amazed to see Genesis on the show. At this stage Genesis were still largely seen as a prog rock band and their appearance was equivalent to Pink Floyd turning up on TOTP.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I remember watching this episode first time around and being amazed to see Genesis on the show. At this stage Genesis were still largely seen as a prog rock band and their appearance was equivalent to Pink Floyd turning up on TOTP.

I think that was possibly true at the time - but it was pretty clear which market Genesis were targeting with 'Follow You, Follow Me', two years earlier … which is about as far from prog rock as Crystal Gayle. ;-)

Strangely, all the Genesis fans I was stuck with at school (and it was them or Yes whose logos were stencilled on many rucksacks) couldn't seem to recognise that their prog heroes had gone a bit MOR …
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was enjoying the Peter Gabriel song Games Without Frontiers as I'd never seen the video for it before, and just as it got started at the first time the chorus kicks in they cut the rest out.

and wouldn't you know it Gabriel's ex band Genesis came next ^_^

btw - how long was an episode back in those days??
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I think that was possibly true at the time - but it was pretty clear which market Genesis were targeting with 'Follow You, Follow Me', two years earlier … which is about as far from prog rock as Crystal Gayle. ;-)

Strangely, all the Genesis fans I was stuck with at school (and it was them or Yes whose logos were stencilled on many rucksacks) couldn't seem to recognise that their prog heroes had gone a bit MOR …
    Genesis were possibly the most popular group at my school, and the ruck sack stencilling is something i also have a distinct memory of. However, Phil Collins was never a particularly popular replacement as a singer to Peter Gabriel with many students, and i can recall a great deal of tutting whenever his name was mentioned with some. Their reactions post Phil's more middle-of-the-road solo offerings at that point was yet to be realised. That, however, did end up fueling their ammunition even more. I'm sure there were many who enjoyed Collins era Genesis, more than Gabriel era, and commercially the group proved extremely successful. However, the longstanding fans i believe, had many mixed feelings.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the dance programmes around these days, Strictly being my reference, I feel we can all judge the standard of Legs & Co a bit better. Blimey......they were amateurish. Was it the choreography or their skill? A bit of both no doubt.

Radio 2 has been great for the last two weeks without the buffoon Steve Wright...shame he popped up on this!
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the dance programmes around these days, Strictly being my reference, I feel we can all judge the standard of Legs & Co a bit better. Blimey......they were amateurish. Was it the choreography or their skill? A bit of both no doubt.

The amount of time Flick Colby had to choreograph Legs & Co's routines is well documented, but I have to say the rather naff nature of their routines is frequently part of their charm. TOTP was a mainstream entertainment show and Colby's brief was not intended to dazzle with complex routines and perfect footwork. I'm sure also that many a time she had a producer or director insisting they had the most marvellous idea for Flick to incorporate into a routine and Flick, in part because they were the boss and in part because television was much more male-dominated then than it is now, had to go along with what they wanted.

I *heart* Legs & Co!
    Forum Member

At the time of 'Follow You, Follow Me; I think it was largely seen as a one-off, a Genesis track that happened to be particularly accessible.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »

Yes true!
    I really wish I'd been older in the 70s! Genesis of the 70s were so different to Genesis of the 80s & I would've loved to have been old enough to attend their 70s shows!
    Instead I was stuck with the Invisible Touch period - which has got to be their worst time I think! :(

Happy Birthday Tony Banks by the way! ;-)
    Forum Member
    'Together We Are Beautiful' also turned up on TOTP in 1979 in a version by Steve Allen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutl_FPOC9M . I think Fern's version is far more appealing and winsome.
  • TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of time Flick Colby had to choreograph Legs & Co's routines is well documented, but I have to say the rather naff nature of their routines is frequently part of their charm. TOTP was a mainstream entertainment show and Colby's brief was not intended to dazzle with complex routines and perfect footwork. I'm sure also that many a time she had a producer or director insisting they had the most marvellous idea for Flick to incorporate into a routine and Flick, in part because they were the boss and in part because television was much more male-dominated then than it is now, had to go along with what they wanted.

I *heart* Legs & Co!

By and large, Flick Colby was given free reign to pursue the ideas which she herself deemed most appropriate for the record in question. If literal - a frequent accusation from their detractors - so be it. The only external influence on the routines were infrequent ones from Producer Robin Nash who deemed the time was nigh for the dancers to don stockings and suspenders in order to appease a certain section of the audience.
    Long live Legs & Co...which they do over on One For The Dads.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    As I haven't shared thoughts on a full show for a wee while...

I really enjoyed last nights edition. It's been fantastic to get 9 whole weeks of consecutive shows and we're now on a 5 week run after the skipped DLT show! :)
    We so rarely get so many consecutive editions these days it's nice to embrace them. I've sometimes been critical of repeat performances but it's been great to see them as it gives a complete picture of the time. In fact, I wasn't really critical, I just thought that the same performance of 'My Girl' was on a bit too often! :D

Rush: 'Spirit of Radio'- I always thought of Rush as having a much heavier sound than this but I only have a limited knowledge of them. This sounded really good and was surprised to see it was their biggest hit.

The Dooleys: 'Love Patrol'- For some unknown reason I was getting The Dooleys mixed up with The Darts!?! When I was watching last night I was thinking "boy, they've gone through some lineup changes over the years".
    'Love Patrol's great. The girls giving it their best Bee Gees effort! :) A shame it was their last significant hit.

The Police: 'So Lonely'- Probably not their strongest single. I'm more into 'Invisible Sun', 'Spirits in the Material World' and 'Wrapped Around Your Finger'.

The Detroit Spinners: 'Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl'- Always been a favourite of mine and reminds me of this time back in 1980. Not into Legs & Co. as 'workmen' though! :(

Brothers Johnson: 'Stomp'- A nice bit of early 80's funk. They seem like a happy gang in the video!

Secret Affair: 'My World'- Great track. Shame they only had 2 Top 20 hits. Sounds like they had a lot of potential.

Liquid Gold: 'Dance Yourself Dizzy'- Brilliant but it still feels like it would be more at home in 1977. Geez, that drummer again. I had to shield my eyes!!! :D

Rainbow: 'All Night Long'- One of my faves from this period. Graham Bonnet looking cool and sounding fantastic.

The Vapors: 'Turning Japanese'- So funny reading the comments regarding the meaning of the lyrics. And here's me thinking it had something to do with John Lennon and Yoko Ono!! Great song though. Note to Steve Wright...As an impressionist, stick to the day job!! :D

Siouxsie and the Banshees: 'Happy House'- I adore Siouxsie Sioux :blush:
    I remember when I was 14, I had her pin ups all over my bedroom wall. It was in 1983 when 'Dear Prudence' was in the chart. Happy House is fantastic. Siouxsie always seems to steal a TOTP's for me.

The Gibson Brothers: 'Cuba'- That guy has some voice. Really like this. Glad it became a much bigger hit in 1980 than when first released in '79.

Peter Gabriel: 'Games Without Frontiers'- Another highlight for me in this edition along with Rainbow, Siouxsie and Genesis. It was cut a bit too quickly for my liking though! :(

Marti Webb: 'Take That Look Off Your Face'- I noticed a few posters mentioned that it wasn't their cup of tea back in 1980 but quite like it now. I have to agree with this. It must be an age thing. I was 11 at the time and it probably wasn't aimed at 11 year old boys!! :D

Genesis: 'Turn it on Again'- Fantastic to see Genesis in the TOTP's studio. (Off to buy one of Phils 'colourful' shirts) The beginning of a long string of hits into the 80's with Phil. I don't have any Gabriel Genesis. My earliest CD is 'And Then There Were Three' from 1978. I especially enjoyed the 1983 output with the brilliant 'Mama' and 'That's All'.

Fern Kinney: 'Together We Are Beautiful'- This was a one hit wonder that I didn't discover for quite a few years. I didn't even know what Fern looked like for ages. A nice wee track. But as most of us know, an amazing chart feat next week will deny Fern any more than 1 week at the top.

Captain and Tenille: 'Do That To Me One More Time'- Caught this on the DLT edition. Nice track. Shame we won't get it again.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was annoyed to discover that viewing my UK GOLD copy, thinking it would save me staying up for the later showing, that it was as cut to ribbons as the early BBC FOUR showing! So haven't had chance to give it a full viewing yet. I'd love to know if there is info on the net anywhere about the cuts made to UK Gold showings of TOTP. It seems like a lot of them they cut.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    I was annoyed to discover that viewing my UK GOLD copy, thinking it would save me staying up for the later showing, that it was as cut to ribbons as the early BBC FOUR showing! So haven't had chance to give it a full viewing yet. I'd love to know if there is info on the net anywhere about the cuts made to UK Gold showings of TOTP. It seems like a lot of them they cut.

Hi Clare. Rush and Captain and Tenille were the inro's and outro's. But with 14 other performances it was one of the longer editions. I think it was just over 40 minutes.
    Not sure where you'd get the info on the UK Gold editions. It's great you have them though. Especially if you have the 'never to be seen again' Savile/DLT shows.
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Genesis were possibly the most popular group at my school, and the ruck sack stencilling is something i also have a distinct memory of. However, Phil Collins was never a particularly popular replacement as a singer to Peter Gabriel with many students, and i can recall a great deal of tutting whenever his name was mentioned with some. Their reactions post Phil's more middle-of-the-road solo offerings at that point was yet to be realised. That, however, did end up fueling their ammunition even more. I'm sure there were many who enjoyed Collins era Genesis, more than Gabriel era, and commercially the group proved extremely successful. However, the longstanding fans i believe, had many mixed feelings.

Blimey. Eight-year-olds must've been quite pissy back then.
    Forum Member
    Blimey. Eight-year-olds must've been quite pissy back then.
    Genesis were a popular group in their original incarnation with Peter Gabriel, and even by the 1980 period, many of my friends were rather more engrossed in the more intricate musical/lyrical values of the group in their early period, than what they were doing in 1980 (despite their later commercial success). "Turn It On Again" was a great success of course, but many of my friends were more engrossed by "Selling England By The Pound" and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway". That's not to say they were necessarily listening to those songs on the original dates of release back in 1973 and 1974, when they were seven and eight years old, but having stumbled upon them often at a later date, a number found those albums quite illuminating.
This discussion has been closed.