The great dishwasher tablet rip off

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else think dishwasher tablets are a complete rip off? I saw a bag of Finish tablets today in Tesco for £16 which is extortionate. They probably cost about 2p a tablet to make. It is ridiculous there are people out there getting £57 a week job seekers allowance to live on. It's about time the public said enough is enough to being ripped off. I realize though that this is definitely a first world problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good tablets that are reasonably priced?

Comments

• ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The diamond standard. :cool:
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the Morrison's own savers ones, £2.13 for 40, they work ok. My dishes are clean. Poundshop, Home Bargains etc all have them cheap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi magnum are IMO better than finish and fairy tabs.

You can get big boxes of finish tabs cheaper in places like farmfoods or the factory shop.
  • jessiainscoughjessiainscough Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think dishwasher tablets are a complete rip off? I saw a bag of Finish tablets today in Tesco for £16 which is extortionate. They probably cost about 2p a tablet to make. It is ridiculous there are people out there getting £57 a week job seekers allowance to live on. It's about time the public said enough is enough to being ripped off. I realize though that this is definitely a first world problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good tablets that are reasonably priced?

If you are on jobseekers, then you probably shouldn't be running a dishwasher at all, and doing your washing up by hand, a bottle of own-brand washing up liquid costs £1 max! I'm not saying dishwasher tablets aren't expensive, but they aren't exactly an essential. A good tip though is to look for offers - a quick search tells me that a box of 56 finish dishwasher tablets is currently £6.97 in Asda
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying the Lidl ones out these days, may give Aldi a shot when they run out.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used the Lidl ones ... They're ok
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Umm, what is the direct link from the price of dishwasher tablets to the amount paid for Jobseekers Allowance?

Which is it that you are wanting to discuss? The title suggests it's tablets in which case the answer is easy, don't buy those ones. Buy ones that are offer or a supermarkets own brand. I buy Lidl's W5 ones, they are about £4 I think for a large box and produce perfectly acceptable results.

Are people on JSA forced to buy Finish Tablets? I don't think JSA payments should include an allowance Finish Dishwasher tablets, the paperwork required to remove it from those without dishwashers would be very time consuming.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Mrs Brady old lady having to wash up manually with her arthritic hands as fat cats drain the pensioners *shakes fist*
  • zedzzedz Posts: 228
    Forum Member

A wind-up surely
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hey, I've seen this so many times.

The big supermarkets overcharge for Finish tabs.

Go to Lidle's and you get twice the amount for half the price.

Also, there are the farm Shops who charge around £8-9 for 110 Finish tabs. And the store that used to be called Poundworld but has changed it's name (can't remember) sells Finish tabs for around the same price as the Farm Shops. 100-110 Finish tabs for about £8-9.
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could always lick everything clean....saves a fortune....
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, cheap own label tabs are a false economy. The brands are extortionate at full price, but Sainsburys always have a top brand on (usually) half price offer. I can never understand why anyone would pay double for a non-offer brand.

Personally I favour the Fortum and Mason's prestige ones, made from ground-up Panda bones and they're £16 EACH.
  • Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are on jobseekers, then you probably shouldn't be running a dishwasher at all, and doing your washing up by hand, a bottle of own-brand washing up liquid costs £1 max! I'm not saying dishwasher tablets aren't expensive, but they aren't exactly an essential. A good tip though is to look for offers - a quick search tells me that a box of 56 finish dishwasher tablets is currently £6.97 in Asda

I was always under the impression that running your dishwasher, say, once a day, was cheaper than a number of sessions of hand washing?? Detergents aside, I thought it was the cost of heating the water? Dishwashers use less water than 4 or 5 bowls?
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show me a person who's got £57 a week to live on who has got and who uses a dishwasher and spends sixteen quid a pop on dishwasher tablets and I'll show you someone who's got considerably more than £57 a week to live on.

That there are people who spend sixteen quid a pop on dishwasher tablets is an indisputable fact, if that's what they cost where you shop. Because if no one was buying them at that price, they'd not be at that price.
    Simple economics - all shops charge what the customers will pay.
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Using a dishwasher actually uses less water and energy than doing it by hand. If you get the low cost tablet too it might be less all round.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member

You probably use more in electricity/gas (And water) to do it by hand than in a dishwasher...

We use Aldi tablets at about £4 for 40.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Show me a person who's got £57 a week to live on who has got and who uses a dishwasher and spends sixteen quid a pop on dishwasher tablets and I'll show you someone who's got considerably more than £57 a week to live on.

That there are people who spend sixteen quid a pop on dishwasher tablets is an indisputable fact, if that's what they cost where you shop. Because if no one was buying them at that price, they'd not be at that price.
    Simple economics - all shops charge what the customers will pay.

A person 57 quid a week shouldnt have a dishwasher in the first place tbh - sounds rather an unneccessary luxury ?

Branded tablets doesnt mean theyre the best - like a branded pretty well anything. The cost of expensive advertising has to be included in the price plus a healthy profit margin and thats why theyre more expensive .Between me and you a lot of brands are pure guff bought by some fairly gullible people .
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Umm, what is the direct link from the price of dishwasher tablets to the amount paid for Jobseekers Allowance?

Maybe we should be taking somebody off JSA to wash our dishes for us?
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Aldi magnum tablets are just as good as finish in my dishwasher results.

But just a word on the jobless person living on £57 a week and has recently lost their job but still owns their dishwasher of course. It seems a bit harsh that in addition to lifestyle changes they've got to start washing up by hand.

Perhaps we should have a whip round and donate some magnum tablets.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always snapped mine in half and they work just as well. Usually the Eco ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    The most expensive price I've seen in Tesco is £21 (60 tablets). Yikes! If folks want to buy those then naturally it's up to them. I just consider it a waste of money.

I mostly use the LIDL budget tablets, something like 30 for less than 2 quid. I find them very good in terms of price, performance and treatment of delicate glassware. Also had good results with Wiko's budget brand. So yeah, these cheaper products are more than good enough for my needs. Spending more would just be a waste.

I also periodically use dishwasher salt and rinse aid simply to ensure the machine is working under optimal conditions.

If you're interested here's a reference to a recent WHICH report:
    http://money.aol.co.uk/2014/02/24/dishes-done-best-by-lidl-and-aldi-which/
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your recommendations and replies. It's not a wind up and I'm not on job seekers allowance I was just using it as an example of how ridiculously extortionate dishwasher tablets are in general.

I use fairy tablets at the moment I get a bag of 56 for £7.99 out of a store called discountUK. I might give the Aldi ones a go when I next need them.

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big bag of Fairy from Home and Bargain £7
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    Using a dishwasher actually uses less water and energy than doing it by hand. If you get the low cost tablet too it might be less all round.

I really doubt it.

I use a dishwasher as a labour saving device as I'm lazy but I don't kid myself that it's cheaper than doing the dishes myself.

As for the tablets I just stock up when they are on half price sale or BOGOFF. Since I live alone and I'm out at work all day I only run my machine once every few days.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bowl full of hot water and some washing liquid is much cheaper and do a better job from what I have seen from dish washers.