Options

Are UKTV right to move away from BBC programming?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember UKTV was basically BBC archive content now they tend to avoid older BBC programming and they buy in more imports or programming from other channels.

A few notable programmes that would never have been seen on UKTV some years back is:

Channel 4

Peep Show.
Full Metal Challenge.
Super Botox Me.

Five:

Fifth gear.
The Gadget Show.
The Hotel Inspector.

Imports:

Masterchef Australia.
Total Wipe Out USA.
The New Adventures of Old Christine. (CBS).
Adventures of a Nobody (Sky Real Lives).

How big a part will BBC programming play in the future of these channels or will they slowly sweep up programming all over and become a super "UK TV programming of the naughties channel"? They should rewind the tapes on The Bill and Eastenders. I also think they made a mistake not launching UKTV One as Watch is quite a poor name.

Comments

• Options
    Satellite FreakSatellite Freak Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK Gold used to show the best of the BBC and Thames TV archives. Granada Plus launched a few years later and showed a more diverse selection of ITV programmes.

What annoys me about UKTV is the way the network repeats the same programmes over and over again. I think it's about time the BBC launched a channel which screened vintage BBC programming. I'd be more than happy for such a channel to replace the trashy, pointless BBC Three.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK Gold used to show the best of the BBC and Thames TV archives. Granada Plus launched a few years later and showed a more diverse selection of ITV programmes.

What annoys me about UKTV is the way the network repeats the same programmes over and over again. I think it's about time the BBC launched a channel which screened vintage BBC programming. I'd be more than happy for such a channel to replace the trashy, pointless BBC Three.

I wonder how they managed to hold onto The Bill all these years then?
  • Options
    Satellite FreakSatellite Freak Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how they managed to hold onto The Bill all these years then?

I think UKTV only has the rights to show The Bill from 1998 onwards. Years ago, UK Gold did screen The Bill from 1984 but in recent years the series always went back to 1998 whenever it was a year behind the current episodes.
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probabaly renamed from UKTV to give them greater flexibility in programming.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think it's good that they are trying to branch out but they still heavily depend on BBC repeats.

Dave are actually doing good recently by showing some new shows from C4 and Five, by showing new series of their mainstays (Top Gear, HIGNFY, QI, MtW) and even producing a few homegrown shows (Argumental and One Night Stand). Ok, they're not great but it's a start.

Same with Good Food, they heavily rely on BBC series but have start showing more imports, not just from the US but from Australia and some from Ireland and they produce a few of their own programs (the live/as live such as Market Kitchen) and some others that are presented by the popular chefs on the channel (Gary Rhodes, Aaron Craze etc)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the BBC still own 50% of UKTV Channels?
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK TV has, in my opinion, become less and less important over the last year or so. It's whole programme selection could have been in space for all it's relevance to me.

Certainly, my viewing of Gold has gone from the first channel I checked to hardly bothering at all now. Watch is not watched, and Alibi doesn't even enter the equation, placed as it is in the nether regions of the EPG, as are most of the UK TV +1 channels.

Dave is the only channel that has increased it's viewing with me, and that's mainly restricted to Top Gear and Fifth Gear.

Maybe if they grouped ALL their channels together they would do better than the higgle piggle setup they have now.
  • Options
    SKYtvFREAKSKYtvFREAK Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKTV aren't moving away from BBC programming, they are simply aquiring more programmes from other broadcasters to help strengthen their catalogue for their channels. You need to remember, there is only so much suitable BBC content available for the different UKTV channels.

In recent years there has been too much complaining over the watering down and thinly spread material across the UKTV network - this is now beginning to not be the case
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    What channel is Adventures of a Nobody on?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Are UKTV right to move away from BBC programming?

But surely BBC programmes are the staple food of the UKTV channels. :confused:

Yes, they might get the odd series from ITV or C4 or indeed occasionally commission their own new programmes but moving away from BBC repeats would make a very big hole in the UKTV schedules.
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What channel is Adventures of a Nobody on?
    At a guess, I'd assume it's on Watch.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Nice idea, a night a week dedicated to them on BBC 4 would suffice.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Back in the 90's UK Gold was the best channel on satelitte. It seriously went downhill in the late 90's.

Someone from UKTV was on here not so long ago asking what people wanted, The Bill from the beginning & old Top of The Pops in full were top of most lists, but i won't hold my breath.

UK Gold these days is just the same few shows in a loop. The same happens on other channels. Palin goes Pole to Pole several times a week on one channel for months, then they just shift it to another channel...where the same happens.

The BBC alone must have thousands of shows in the archives they never air on these channels, but we just keep gettin the same old shows over & over.

If moving away from BBC programming gives us something different...bring it on
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    The BBC alone must have thousands of shows in the archives they never air on these channels,
    It might have something to do with rights issues.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It might have something to do with rights issues.

Could be

In which case having fewer channels would be a better idea so the same programmes don't keep coming around

It's a bit poor though if the only BBC Shows that can ever be shown again are the few hundred going round & round on UKTV Channels

We all paid for these shows & they shouldn't be stopped from airing by "rights issues"
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be

In which case having fewer channels would be a better idea so the same programmes don't keep coming around

It's a bit poor though if the only BBC Shows that can ever be shown again are the few hundred going round & round on UKTV Channels

We all paid for these shows & they shouldn't be stopped from airing by "rights issues"
    We paid for the production costs of those shows - yes. But those production costs would have also included the rights agreements at the time. The costs (that we paid via the LF) would not have been likely to have included distribution via satellite or dtt platforms or for pay-channels
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be

Good idea, then they could turn the bitrate up to an acceptable level. Watching GOLD at the moment is like watching TV through a polythene bag. :cry: