• Options
    MilhouseVHMilhouseVH Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, he came to a feeble end but like good old t-bag he took plenty with him when he went and of course ruined Rush's life by ensuring he killed Amanda.

So one question... Amanda was dead in the other lasses body (who names I forget but played by the "OMG she is lush Julie McNiven") does this mean that back on earth Amandas body is still alive but with someone else trapped in side ? What happens when the stones link was severed ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    So one question... Amanda was dead in the other lasses body (who names I forget but played by the "OMG she is lush Julie McNiven") does this mean that back on earth Amandas body is still alive but with someone else trapped in side ? What happens when the stones link was severed ?

Apparently they're both dead - Amanda and Ginn, both physically and their consciousness - but Simeon had no way of knowing that would be the outcome, unless he already had knowledge of the stones which seems highly unlikely as they came from a different universe. The crew had to ask if she (Amanda) was alive indicating they had no idea what the outcome would be when one of the connected individuals dies.

In fact why Simeon killed "Ginn" when she was connected to Amanda isn't immediately obvious to me, as for all anyone knew at that time (including Simeon) Ginn could have lived on in Amandas body on Earth once the connection was severed and continued to provide intelligence information (which might have been an interesting storyline in itself, although maybe less so considering Amanda is/was a quadriplegic)... luckily for Simeon she didn't, but I find it highly unlikely he knew that would happen beforehand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MilhouseVH wrote: »
    Apparently they're both dead - Amanda and Ginn, both physically and their consciousness - but Simeon had no way of knowing that would be the outcome, unless he already had knowledge of the stones which seems highly unlikely as they came from a different universe. The crew had to ask if she (Amanda) was alive indicating they had no idea what the outcome would be when one of the connected individuals dies.

In fact why Simeon killed "Ginn" when she was connected to Amanda isn't immediately obvious to me, as for all anyone knew at that time (including Simeon) Ginn could have lived on in Amandas body on Earth once the connection was severed and continued to provide intelligence information (which might have been an interesting storyline in itself, although maybe less so considering Amanda is/was a quadriplegic)... luckily for Simeon she didn't, but I find it highly unlikely he knew that would happen beforehand.

Well this is what is confusing me a tad. I know the why he did it but doing it when he did seems rather risky... far better to do it when he knows Ginn was 'back'. Thanks for confirming for me..

Ahh well, a crying shame we wont be seeing Julie McNiven anymore in teh show. :o
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In last nights episode why would the aliens bring back those dead people only temporarily.

Seems a tad cruel and unnecessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this is what is confusing me a tad. I know the why he did it but doing it when he did seems rather risky... far better to do it when he knows Ginn was 'back'. Thanks for confirming for me..

If you analyse Malice too closely I think that despite it being one of the better episodes the entire premise is complete nonsense designed entirely to allow Rush, the bridge and the "microwave radiation" story to be exposed.

The storyline itself is paper thin, riddled with plot holes, full of disposable characters and felt utterly contrived in order to achieve a 45 minute running time. Some of those individual criticisms could be made against other sci-fi shows of course but it's hard to think of any other show where all of those criticisms can be found together.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »
    In last nights episode why would the aliens bring back those dead people only temporarily.

Perhaps they were just giving them a chance to say good bye or see their friend one last time?
    Maybe they just didn't want dead bodies littering their planet.

who knows, maybe we'll find out, but probably not. It was an interesting storyline. Not as good as the previous few episodes but not bad either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they're both dead - Amanda and Ginn, both physically and their consciousness - but Simeon had no way of knowing that would be the outcome, unless he already had knowledge of the stones which seems highly unlikely as they came from a different universe.

Ginn knew about Ancient technology so obviously her clan had some exposure to it. Simeon was from the same clan, so it is not impossible he knew more about the stones than we think.
    Also he could have just been taking a shot in the dark hoping that killing one would kill the other. Seems likely that doing so would result in both dying, either immediately or when the stone device was switched off.

One slim possibility is that Ginn is still alive in Amanda's body but this fact is being kept secret to keep her safe. unlikely I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Ginn knew about Ancient technology so obviously her clan had some exposure to it. Simeon was from the same clan, so it is not impossible he knew more about the stones than we think.
    Also he could have just been taking a shot in the dark hoping that killing one would kill the other. Seems likely that doing so would result in both dying, either immediately or when the stone device was switched off.

Possible I agree, but the stones hardly seem common place technology such that everyone in every universe knows about them, particularly a military grunt like Simeon (whereas a scientist such as Ginn may have more knowledge of esoteric Ancient technology).

It leaves us to assume they knew this or that when in fact a little more effort in the writing would have helped eliminate such obvious problems. It's a small matter of course, but smacks of sloppy writing.
    One slim possibility is that Ginn is still alive in Amanda's body but this fact is being kept secret to keep her safe. unlikely I know.
    I can't imagine she'd be too happy about that but at least she'd only have one of her own to blame!
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »

I'm trying to forget about last night's episode. It was so lame I'm still limping, today. From what I can make out, the writers (yes: those who have a "5 year story arc" planned out) discovered that they had used up all the shuttles in creating shallow crises and needed to get one back. Apparently they have no respect for the intelligence of the audience and therefore decided to use "magic" to make it appear.
    The stuff about the people was just a side effect where they could slap on more cheap dramatic tension by killing off a load of people who had already been written off - thereby getting the tension for free.

It was a lazy and talentless piece of writing and seems to me that it demonstrates that the writers don't really have much of a grip on the story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ahh well, a crying shame we wont be seeing Julie McNiven anymore in teh show. :o

It was a bit of a twist, if you listen to what simeon said to rush on the planet gives it away.

He intened to kill ginn to stop her passing on info but because he was such a phyco he ended up kiling ginn to kill amanda as revenge for the way he had been treated and to let rush feel the loss he had (something happned in the past to him when someone he loved was killed I would guess)

Simeon heard conversations stating amanda was in ginns body, his personal revenge eventaully outgunned his need to stop ginn.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    I'm trying to forget about last night's episode. It was so lame I'm still limping, today. From what I can make out, the writers (yes: those who have a "5 year story arc" planned out) discovered that they had used up all the shuttles in creating shallow crises and needed to get one back. Apparently they have no respect for the intelligence of the audience and therefore decided to use "magic" to make it appear.
    The stuff about the people was just a side effect where they could slap on more cheap dramatic tension by killing off a load of people who had already been written off - thereby getting the tension for free.

It was a lazy and talentless piece of writing and seems to me that it demonstrates that the writers don't really have much of a grip on the story.

So I wasn't the only person to think that.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    ChrisE wrote: »
    So I wasn't the only person to think that.;)

Nope not the only one at all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You realise you're Watching a sci fi show?
    This show has a spaceship travelling Faster Than Light. Stones that can tranfer your consiousness to other galaxies instantly. Stargates that transport matter to other galaxies instantly. And you think a shuttle appearing next to the ship is magic while these other technologies are just regular science?

This was not just an excuse to get another shuttle. there are much easier ways to get a shuttle. Rush could have found another shuttle bay on board and Scott could have suited up and gone to get one.
    This episode showed us that the aliens who built that planet are still around, they are aware of Destiny and its crew. They are very powerful, And seem benevolent so far.

After the high tension episode last week it was good to wind down a little with a more sedate episode. A 22 episode season cannot sustain that pace for a whole season.
    SG-1 and SGA had many similar episodes to this one, although they would most likely found a magic button in the last five minutes to save some (if not all) the dying.
    I agree it wasn't the best episode ever but it was not a bad one either. If SGU maintains a standard between this and Malice then it will be a good show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show has a spaceship travelling Faster Than Light. Stones that can tranfer your consiousness to other galaxies instantly. Stargates that transport matter to other galaxies instantly. And you think a shuttle appearing next to the ship is magic while these other technologies are just regular science?

Yep, that's because there is no such thing as "magic" and so completely unrealistic. ;)
    A 22 episode season cannot sustain that pace for a whole season.

Let's hope that last week wasn't the high point of the whole season.

Unfortunately the quality of SGU episodes is far too variable for the show to survive the cut IMHO - it needs to be consistently good to maintain ratings which currently yo-yo from one week to the next, lagging good/bad shows by one week, and with a significant downward trend.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You realise you're Watching a sci fi show?
    This show has a spaceship travelling Faster Than Light. Stones that can tranfer your consiousness to other galaxies instantly. Stargates that transport matter to other galaxies instantly. And you think a shuttle appearing next to the ship is magic while these other technologies are just regular science?.
    You're absolutely right and this is a good time to remember Arthur Clarke's observation about advanced science and magic. The big difference though is that FTL spaceships and "magic" stones (and the "magic" chair in Antarctica) all have foundations in forerunner SG-X episodes, so we can consider them to be part of the package.

To just think "oooh, we need a new¹ shuttle - one that has, for no apparent reason been fully reconditioned. Let's just drop one into the show with no warning and no explanation" is lazy and patronising writing. You can get away with it in Sword and Sorcery programmes, where pulling a magic sword out of your ar^H^Himagination is legitimate - though highly unsatisfying for the reader/viewer. However, good SF is meant to have a logical progression and a rational story behind it. Otherwise you may as well just magic-up some hitherto unknown device, beam the crew back to earth and finish the series in 10 minutes flat.

[1] And that's another flaw. The shuttle they left (as recalled in the flashback) was broken. It would have been as easy and more in keeping with the flow, for the magician who put the shuttle in the spaceship's path to have NOT repaired it. But that would not have fixed the quandry the writers had got themselves into.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heads up, the mid-season finale is badass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    good SF is meant to have a logical progression and a rational story behind it. Otherwise you may as well just magic-up some hitherto unknown device, beam the crew back to earth and finish the series in 10 minutes flat.

I quite agree and if we never meet these all powerful aliens who can build planets, (almost) restore the dead to life, and telesport shuttles accross light years of space then I would be most dissatisfied with this episode.
    I have some faith in these writers (I enjoyed SG1 and SGA) and believe that we will meet them and this episode will make sense in the long run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did wonder on that but dont the stones reset briefly when Destiny jumps to FTL ?
  • Options
    ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Did I see one of those repair robots they found doing some work in last nights episode.

spoliered just in case
    In the screen where TJ takes the bloke from the shuttle to the hydroponics dome, the first shot of the done shows something doing some welding on the dome framework.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chanfron wrote: »
    Did I see one of those repair robots they found doing some work in last nights episode.

spoliered just in case
    In the screen where TJ takes the bloke from the shuttle to the hydroponics dome, the first shot of the done shows something doing some welding on the dome framework.

You did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You did.

i hope they don't name it "Louie". :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope they don't name it "Louie". :)

Awwww that was a sad... I love them little guys. When he got run over I was quiet upset... :o
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, fan faith pays off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the high tension episode last week it was good to wind down a little with a more sedate episode. A 22 episode season cannot sustain that pace for a whole season.
    SG-1 and SGA had many similar episodes to this one, although they would most likely found a magic button in the last five minutes to save some (if not all) the dying.
    I agree it wasn't the best episode ever but it was not a bad one either. If SGU maintains a standard between this and Malice then it will be a good show.

Agree totally, the show can not keep up the pace of episodes like greater good and malice all the time, it would self combust.
    Hoping the second half of the season is going to do enough to at least get a partial third season, cant even think about this being cancelled, would be a great loss.