How old are candidates?

Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know youngests were in their early twenties, but the oldests? How old you have to be to be too old to be "Apprentice "?

Comments

• telly_addict1telly_addict1 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I noticed on the official "The Apprentice" website under Meet the candidates, click each one of them you see a sheet a factfile with their age amongst other things about them.

You have to click each one of them to see the factfile.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/DtbQhp3GLWfgscn7BnnD9S/meet-the-candidates
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldest-ever is Jaz from last year, who was 41, and at a quick glance I'd say the most common "oldest" age in each series is about 36.

I think that Sugar would probably invest in anyone who has a decent business plan, though having someone aged 60-odd be named the "Apprentice" would just end up looking silly. Rightly or wrongly however, there seems to be a common belief in business that if you're not a big success by your mid-late 40s, odds are you won't ever be one.
  • Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies. I've checked profiles. I'm 38, so there's still chance for me ;)
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think between 10-15 by their behaviour :D
  • mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they really as old as they say they are? Some of them look a lot older and some of them look a lot younger. For example, Roisin is meant to be 32, but she looks 25. Daniel is meant to be 27 but looks at least mid 30's.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Debra Barr from Series 5 was 23 at the time, and she looked considerably older. I would have thought early thirties.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would like some older candidates just to mix it up a bit.
    Forum Member
    I think Lord Sugar prefers younger people. I feel like they have often done better on the show. Many of the winners have been in their early to mid-twenties - the oldest was Tom, who was 31 at the time - and the youngest so far has been Leah from last year. Bianca and Mark are 25 and 24 respectively. He has been very positive about some of the young people who didn't win as well, such as Susan Ma. Also he seemed extremely passionate about Young Apprentice - more so than about the main programme really. I feel like he prefers fresh faces who have potential but haven't learned so much as to become set in their ways, so he is able to mould them a bit more.

By contrast, the older candidates have often not done as well. The oldest ever - Jaz - was fired first. Before last year, that record was held jointly by Matthew and Mani, who were both 39 at the time, and both of them were fired as early as the fifth week.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lord Sugar prefers younger people. I feel like they have often done better on the show. Many of the winners have been in their early to mid-twenties - the oldest was Tom, who was 31 at the time - and the youngest so far has been Leah from last year. Bianca and Mark are 25 and 24 respectively. He has been very positive about some of the young people who didn't win as well, such as Susan Ma. Also he seemed extremely passionate about Young Apprentice - more so than about the main programme really. I feel like he prefers fresh faces who have potential but haven't learned so much as to become set in their ways, so he is able to mould them a bit more.

By contrast, the older candidates have often not done as well. The oldest ever - Jaz - was fired first. Before last year, that record was held jointly by Matthew and Mani, who were both 39 at the time, and both of them were fired as early as the fifth week.

In fairness she was fired for incompetence not because she was the oldest.
    Forum Member
    In fairness she was fired for incompetence not because she was the oldest.

Yeah, fair point actually. But on a consistent basis it has seemed like younger people have done a little better. I don't have the figures though, so I can't statistically prove that. It's all just from personal observation.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, fair point actually. But on a consistent basis it has seemed like younger people have done a little better. I don't have the figures though, so I can't statistically prove that. It's all just from personal observation.

I may be wrong but is Maria the youngest ever candidate (excluding YA/JA)?

She was fired in the second week so I don't think age has any correlation to success.
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong but is Maria the youngest ever candidate (excluding YA/JA)?

She was fired in the second week so I don't think age has any correlation to success.

Yeah, she is. I thought of that as well - she's an anomaly, and obviously things like that don't work on every single occasion, it just seems to me that he prefers to work with younger people generally. But of course it's all speculation.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi123456 wrote: »
    Are they really as old as they say they are? Some of them look a lot older and some of them look a lot younger. For example, Roisin is meant to be 32, but she looks 25. Daniel is meant to be 27 but looks at least mid 30's.

This is subjective as I think Roisin definitely looks well into her 30s.
  • Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that some of them say they younger then actually are? I remember , when Spice Girls were at their hay day , it was reviewed Emma Bunton was two years older then she said she was. Apparently , it's common in a showbusiness. Apprentice is a TV program, so it's a showbusiness too, to the degree.
  • mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    This is subjective as I think Roisin definitely looks well into her 30s.

Fair point. The other one that confused me was the young lad on Junior Apprentice with the stubble / beard who was meant to be 16 or 17. I forget.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I think the candidates very often look older than they are.

One of the most striking examples of this to me, and I hate to be rude, is that Jade was only 29 when she was a candidate :o

I think pretty much all of the candidates this year, bar Ella Jade, Jemma, Lauren and Katie looked older than they were.
    Forum Member
    mimi123456 wrote: »
    Fair point. The other one that confused me was the young lad on Junior Apprentice with the stubble / beard who was meant to be 16 or 17. I forget.

I think you mean Tim Ankers. Yeah, he was supposed to be 17, but he looked about 30! I think Ashleigh looked a lot older as well.