The Link (quiz show with Mark Williams)

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
Forum Member
✭✭
The Link, with Mark Williams as host, returns for a second series on Monday 26th Jan at 3 o'clock on BBC1.

Seeing as it's up against Tipping Point, it will be interesting to see which wins in the ratings.

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The only thing I remember from the first series was Mark William's dress sense. He looked like a woodwork teacher at a school disco.
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the link great show
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A (tame) rip off of Only Connect on BBC2
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    A (tame) rip off of Only Connect on BBC2

It's nice to have a more accessible version of Only Connect. Plus, I don't rate Victoria Coren-Mitchell as a presenter.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump! Series 2 starts today at 3 o'clock BBC1.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the show. He's so bad as a presenter though that it makes it almost unwatchable. Definitely overdosing on him on BBC1 at the moment.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think MW is great as Father Brown, but not as a presenter. Not that great at reading newspapers either, if his stint on Wright Stuff today is anything to go by!
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rats, Mark's lost the moustache and the eccentric suit but still great to see it back.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a better presenter it might be watch-able ..As it is now boring ..dull... old fashioned clothes IE suit.. just rubbish.. I stick to repeats of tipping point..
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw the last bit of today's programme. The prizes are an absolute piss take! 300 QUID?! >:(
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the concept of the quiz show is fine... just needs a little revamp...IE presenter and prize money.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Williams on this reminds me of a more lively Adrian Chiles.

I it pretty similar to Only Connect, although a lot easier.
    The final round seems more easier than the initial links. I'm surprised players don't come away with a large amount every time but yesterday they only got £500.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Williams on this reminds me of a more lively Adrian Chiles.

I it pretty similar to Only Connect, although a lot easier.
    The final round seems more easier than the initial links. I'm surprised players don't come away with a large amount every time but yesterday they only got £500.

The problem is that it takes longer than 10 seconds for 10 clues to come up in the final round. They need to get 6 right to win the top prize, but there are only 60 seconds.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    This must be the cheapest quiz show around. Seen it 5 or 6 times and nobody has won anything. Most of the candidates are too thick to win anything and the few that aren't usually gamble and lose in the final round.
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the show, but they've tidied Mark up - he looked better as an eccentric, crazy janitor!
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    This must be the cheapest quiz show around. Seen it 5 or 6 times and nobody has won anything. Most of the candidates are too thick to win anything and the few that aren't usually gamble and lose in the final round.
    Apart from the quiz shows where the prize is a plastic trophy.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    The problem is that it takes longer than 10 seconds for 10 clues to come up in the final round. They need to get 6 right to win the top prize, but there are only 60 seconds.

You normally don't need the full 10 seconds to solve every one though, so winning the top prize is possible (and I'm sure was done at least once in the last series).
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Connect was on BBC4 at the time if you're going to get picky about this being a rip off.

Also those criticising the prize money, it's a low budget show, they could give at least £4,000 a day, obviously this isn't going to happen, the quiz is set that way, Pointless and Eggheads themselves don't give away much more when you consider they add £1,000 a day, more or less.

And as for the criticism of the host, it's his first gig of this nature, I'm enjoying him as a host personally, Richard Osman himself even gave him his endorsement the other day, to the chagrin of Victoria Coren.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    You normally don't need the full 10 seconds to solve every one though, so winning the top prize is possible (and I'm sure was done at least once in the last series).

I know it can be done but it just doesn't seem very fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Only Connect was on BBC4 at the time if you're going to get picky about this being a rip off.

Also those criticising the prize money, it's a low budget show, they could give at least £4,000 a day, obviously this isn't going to happen, the quiz is set that way, Pointless and Eggheads themselves don't give away much more when you consider they add £1,000 a day, more or less.

And as for the criticism of the host, it's his first gig of this nature, I'm enjoying him as a host personally, Richard Osman himself even gave him his endorsement the other day, to the chagrin of Victoria Coren.

Richard Osman is hardly the standard of presenter to go by. Did you see Two Tribes? I think you can tell when someone is suited to this or not pretty quickly. How many goes should he get at 'a gig of this nature'?
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a couple of episodes of this last night. It seems an OK game. Mark Williams is a fine host. Surprised so many seem so against him.

My one complaint would be how they accept certain answers but not others. One link had " "Plumber", "Mushroom", "Pipe". When the contestants gave the answer "The Mario video games" it wasn't accepted. But once the last clue of "Coins" was revealed the answer "Super Mario" was accepted. Really? They also didn't accept "ships" because the correct answer was "battleships" yet they quite happily accepted "German towns" even though they were all cities. That would get me infuriated if I was on there.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    I watched a couple of episodes of this last night. It seems an OK game. Mark Williams is a fine host. Surprised so many seem so against him.

My one complaint would be how they accept certain answers but not others. One link had " "Plumber", "Mushroom", "Pipe". When the contestants gave the answer "The Mario video games" it wasn't accepted. But once the last clue of "Coins" was revealed the answer "Super Mario" was accepted. Really? They also didn't accept "ships" because the correct answer was "battleships" yet they quite happily accepted "German towns" even though they were all cities. That would get me infuriated if I was on there.

I think Mark said something like "They were all towns before they were cities" as to why it was accepted.

Perhaps with the Mario answer there's another game or games that feature a character called Mario so they needed the clarification.

They did have one last week where they rejected "Cluedo" until they said "Cluedo characters" which was a bit bemusing...
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Plus, I don't rate Victoria Coren-Mitchell as a presenter.

Fabulous boobs though. :)
    Forum Member

The answer was warships. If they'd have said battleships, which is what I would have answered and it was rejected then i'd be mightily peeved but I think not accepting ships was ok in that instance as they were obviously war/battle ships and not just ships.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't believe they've actually made a second series of this guff. Possibly one of the worst quiz shows I've ever seen during my 51 years on this planet.