Options

Russia Invade UK unlikely

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    It would not bother me. Our Royal Family is partly Russian anyway. They were related to the Czars of Russia. And throughout history we have been friends with. Russia more often than enemies. WW1 and WW2 and more recently the majority of British public supported Russia in their support of Serbia and their liberation of Kosovo and Serbian lands in Bosnia.

Prince Philip is the only member of the Royal family partly descended from the Romanovs. This was established by analysis of his mitochondrial DNA. Through him, scientists were able to confirm the identity of the remains of several members of Empress Alexandra of Russia's family, several decades after their 1918 massacre by the Bolsheviks. But he himself is a member of the house of (get this....) Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, He is Greek by birth and a member of the royal families of both Greece and Denmark.

Clears that up, I think.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Prince Philip is the only member of the Royal family partly descended from the Romanovs. This was established by analysis of his mitochondrial DNA. Through him, scientists were able to confirm the identity of the remains of several members of Empress Alexandra of Russia's family, several decades after their 1918 massacre by the Bolsheviks. But he himself is a member of the house of (get this....) Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, He is Greek by birth and a member of the royal families of both Greece and Denmark.

Clears that up, I think.

Makes his xenophobia even more comic.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Russia against UK, it won't be a case of invasion, but obliteration.
    UK is a member state of NATO so that means www3.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    With Russia against UK, it won't be a case of invasion, but obliteration.
    UK is a member state of NATO so that means www3.

Indeed.

A founder member at that.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is an international alliance that consists of 28 member states from North America and Europe. It was established at the signing of the North Atlantic Treaty on 4 April 1949. Article Five of the treaty states that if an armed attack occurs against one of the member states, it should be considered an attack against all members, and other members shall assist the attacked member, with armed forces if necessary.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_NATO
    wikipedia wrote:
    The combined military spending of all NATO members constitutes over 70 percent of the global total.[4] Members' defense spending is supposed to amount to 2 percent of GDP.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO

Russia is also a member of Partnership For Peace, a NATO program/initiative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partnership_for_Peace

So, I think we can safely put the idea of a Russian invasion of the UK to bed.

Next. :p
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    When will DS be free of people introducing Muslins into every thread? >:(

(Yes I've read WotW)

Make every thread a cheese based thread I say.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would far rather the Russians invade than this country becoming a bloody caliphate.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Scary thing is, I can think of a variety of scenarios where the UK might end up provoking hostilities with Russia.

I can't.

Russia will make bellicose noises from time to time, as they always have done, but the likelihood of actual hostilities between us and them, is vanishingly small.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I can't.

Russia will make bellicose noises from time to time, as they always have done, but the likelihood of actual hostilities between us and them, is vanishingly small.

It would essentially be Russia versus 28 countries (NATO member states).
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I can't.

Correct. Both our governments are content with sticking to the usual angry rhetoric directed at each other, and the dickwaving of flying our planes close to each others airspace. We both know that neither of us would "win" because of the nuclear deterrent each country possesses. So an direct war between us is incredibly unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the frikking MOOMINS are a bigger threat to us than those two!