The Sky at Night - Monday 7 Jan 2013, BBC1

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    But perfectly rational behaviour if they wished to erase the programme from the popular memory. The less fuss and publicity about it, the better it serves their purpose.

Good point. I’m thinking now that the tribute programme was probably commissioned in a grudging “do we really have to do this?” manner.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    The BBC2 repeat is the short version shown at midnight and you could argue the half hour showing (why in God’s name this can’t be the only version aired is a mystery - Why is there a short version at all?!?!?) is on a minority channel and does attract a consequently lower audience.

Regardless, it’s an ignominious end to a programme that’s gone 50 years plus fronted by the same person. Would it have killed the BBC to make a bit of a fuss just this once?

Yes I agree, the BBC are quick to make a fuss over some deadbeat musician or politician that kicks the bucket.

I think within the BBC you've got a small team who were quite passionate about the show and the rest of the BBC who are obsessed with diversity, equality, not upsetting anyone and dumbing things down or what I call pop science.

The one difference with the Sky at Night was it was scientists (usually) talking about science in its purest form.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Patrick often said, the longevity of the show was down to the fact it was cheap.

There is no doubt that Chris was Patrick's chosen successor, but I suspect that this was made before Brian became more actively associated with astronomy (and indeed with the show)

My preference is for Brian, assuming he is okay at being a presenter which is far from a"given". Chris is okay as a presenter, but not brilliant, more of a "expert correspondent"

What we need is another Patrick....but there isn't one, and that is why his death was a sad day for astronomy:(

Could the show continue from Patricks old home? It appears Brian is looking at options what to do with it, and it has a poignancy for it to be still used for the show..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Good point. I’m thinking now that the tribute programme was probably commissioned in a grudging “do we really have to do this?” manner.

Brian and Chris (and others) repeatedly asked the BBC to do a tribute to Sir Patrick (while he was alive!) but the BBC declined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Thankyou! I am certain my own sentiments speak for many thousands of others also, as Stargazer61 has also said. Remember him with a smile. :)

Sir Patrick I hope is happy that he is among the stars he loved so much ..I remember the first Sky at night, he was as nervous as a nervous person could be, but even then his enthusiasm shone thru..
    He will be missed by all who followed his program...:cry:
    Regards
    Alan
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Watched this last night and it was obvious that Patrick was not capable of doing much more than getting a few words out. The rest of the programme was filled with the beginners' class and old clips.
    It would be a massive mistake to dump it now. It won't be the same without the Old Man, but there are a handful opf people who could do a good job.

Edit. Oh God, I've just had an awful thought - given the way the BBC thinks nowadays, are we going to get one of their 'team' programmes, with 'lively' young people (with a carefully-picked ethnic mix) getting all bright and enthusiastic, rushing around and doing experiments that look like they've come from a schools programme?

I don't see why that would be a bad thing. For some years the Sky At Night has looked pretty dusty, and maybe an injection of fresh talent and a new slot on BBC3 may rejuvenate it for the next generation. And it wouldn't hurt for it to have a female presenting it - Stacey Dooley perhaps?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Doing it from Selsey would probably make sense but I have no idea what will happen to the house, I understand that Brian May actually bought it for Patrick, which I thought was odd as the house had been in the family for years, unless it was rented or something?

The newspaper report said that Brian May bought it then rented back to Patrick Moore for a peppercorn rent. It sounded as if Patrick Moore was not very wealthy.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The newspaper report said that Brian May bought it then rented back to Patrick Moore for a peppercorn rent. It sounded as if Patrick Moore was not very wealthy.

Interesting reading all ways thought it was his place.
    Anyway I do hope the show still goes on.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His goodbye at the end seemed really sad... I think he knew this would be his last one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Dr May was not very happy when it came out. Most awkward for him having people thank him for what he did, when he is rather angry that they know about it and does not want to talk about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His goodbye at the end seemed really sad... I think he knew this would be his last one.

I tend to agree.
    Forum Member
    I don't see why that would be a bad thing. For some years the Sky At Night has looked pretty dusty, and maybe an injection of fresh talent and a new slot on BBC3 may rejuvenate it for the next generation. And it wouldn't hurt for it to have a female presenting it - Stacey Dooley perhaps?

There are plenty of females they could bring in, we've mentioned several here, but I want one with a science brain, not silicone breasts thanks.
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Dr May was not very happy when it came out. Most awkward for him having people thank him for what he did, when he is rather angry that they know about it.

From what I've read he gave a lot of money to help people get into science.

I'm not that keen on the idea of Brian May presenting the Sky at Night unless he's really committed to doing it as a serious venture.

The last thing the show would need is a series of transient celebs coming through. It may also be an issue if someone like Brian May wanted to be paid for doing it. The BBC may well use that as an excuse to kill it. I'd love to know outside of travelling costs what Chris, Pete and Paul were paid for doing the show, not a lot I'd bet.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange that you should pick that name. I was entertaining idle thoughts about who would be the most inappropriate presenter they could possibly choose (on the basis that would be the one the Beeb went for) and her name was, inevitably, top of the list. So commiserations! it appears we both have the same warped sense of humour.

I can see how the first episode would start:

Hi all, I'm Staaaaceeeeey and I'm the new presenterer of the Ski at Night, which is all about astrono ... astryo .... astronology - innit. Now here are some picture someone took - aren't they pretty.
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Personally, I dont think that Chris has the personality needed to front the show; dont get me wrong, he is great as a regular correspondent but just seems to lack that spark that the programme needs.

I think that it would be nice if Either Brian May or Dr Lucie Green took over, and it was pitched at the same level that it is now (ie NOT dumbed down at all). As for the location - Farthings, of course.

I really hope that this little gem of a programme survives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not that keen on the idea of Brian May presenting the Sky at Night unless he's really committed to doing it as a serious venture.

The last thing the show would need is a series of transient celebs coming through. It may also be an issue if someone like Brian May wanted to be paid for doing it. The BBC may well use that as an excuse to kill it. I'd love to know outside of travelling costs what Chris, Pete and Paul were paid for doing the show, not a lot I'd bet.
    If he does something Brian will be 100% committed, he doesn't do things by halves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian interviewing Patrick on VH1 ...years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61z0uatXU1k

Think "presenter"?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't consider Brian May to be a 'transcient celeb'. He did co-author 'BANG' with Sir P and Chris, he did return to complete his Phd, he was a long-time friend of Sir P, has been actively involved in promoting astronomy, and is worth about £90 million so I don't think payment would be much of an issue (!). He is alspo very committed and active in several 'causes'
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    He does. Thought he lived near Sir P but could be wrong

Yes Pete lives 'round the corner' in Selsey and may have known Sir P for a long time. He's a good astrophotographer.

Goodness only knows who the new presenter will be (if they keep it going), Brian May would be a contender if he is interested, otherwise pick any one from the names already mentioned.

It will lose impact though if they just use one of their science reporters, to keep the costs down, so I hope they don't do that. Click at Night would make me cringe! :eek:
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Strange that you should pick that name. I was entertaining idle thoughts about who would be the most inappropriate presenter they could possibly choose (on the basis that would be the one the Beeb went for) and her name was, inevitably, top of the list. So commiserations! it appears we both have the same warped sense of humour.

I can see how the first episode would start:

Hi all, I'm Staaaaceeeeey and I'm the new presenterer of the Ski at Night, which is all about astrono ... astryo .... astronology - innit. Now here are some picture someone took - aren't they pretty.

LOL It's frightening that that could come true!
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't consider Brian May to be a 'transcient celeb'. He did co-author 'BANG' with Sir P and Chris, he did return to complete his Phd, he was a long-time friend of Sir P, has been actively involved in promoting astronomy, and is worth about £90 million so I don't think payment would be much of an issue (!). He is alspo very committed and active in several 'causes'
    Maybe they could keep the rest of team, as it is now and run it along those lines. Because at the moment it is hard to think of anyone who could come close to replacing Sir Patrick.
    Forum Member

Yep my only concern would be him being committed to doing it as a permanent presenter with all the other things he has on.

A lot might depend on how the BBC see Chris, Pete etc as they basically carried the show for the last few years, it's possible for example if Brian May took it over they may want to get rid of Chris and Pete as permanent contributors, that might mean Brian May doing more of the reporting and travelling which he may not be able to commit to.

Of course it's all speculation until we hear something for certain, certainly the Feb show is going out with Chris, Pete and Lucie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might like to watch or set the recorder for the half-hour version on BBC Four on Thursday 10th January at 19:30.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    When Doctor Who called Sir Patrick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMOl_Jh8O_E

"Your maps are wrong!" :D
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't dislike Brian May but why is anyone considering his as main presenter?

Yes, he's knowledgable and qualified in astronomy but he's only ever been a guest on SaN. I'm pleased to hear he was a close friend to Sir Patrick and generous personally to him but he's surely not TV presenter material unless all the better-qualified, 'usual crew' are unavailable or bypassed by some BBC numpty who knows nothing about astronomy or science - and not much about broadcasting to a brighter, more discerning portion of the viewing public!

We don't need a 'celeb' (if B May counts) we need competence and someone who can retain viewers interest without being a distraction (though I'd make an exception and allow myself to be distracted by Lucie Green).

Chris Lintott doesn't match up to Sir Patrick in the 'enthusing the viewer' stakes but who could? Surely, he's the obvious replacement, possibly sharing with Paul and Pete and Chris N.