The Saturday's New Single What About Us ft Sean Paul

Comments

• SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    That's not what he was saying, looking at the charts these days it's easy to see that acts formed or pushed by Cowell do very well, they have a huge amount of exposure on x factor, idol etc, many months of being on the TV, then of course they get all the radio exposure and the TV slots, top notch producers and magazine articles, I'm not saying there is something wrong with that, but all he was saying was that it's impressive for The Saturdays who weren't launched from a show like that, who have little radio play compared to the likes of 1D and Little Mix etc and still manage to have bigger first week sales than them, 1D is the biggest pop group in the world and still didn't sell as much in one week with a single for charity!

Im not disagreeing with that, i just took it to sound like e was belittling them, if i got it wrong then i apologise.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I am happy for them but wish White Lies had been their first UK #1

That track still blows my pop loving mind.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The girls finding out that they're number one for anyone that missed it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJjY8UNorR4

Knowing how much they wanted it you can forgive the song for not being their best :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »

So great that'll be forgotten by next year and they'll be sticking out another club banger.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    So happy for them and the highest selling number 1 so far this year! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    So great that'll be forgotten by next year and they'll be sticking out another club banger.

Your name should be buzzkill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your name should be buzzkill.

Not really my fault i'm the only one without my head in the clouds:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    All Fired Up is already over a year old and people still love it. All their singles receive regular airplay according to CompareMyRadio and some of them are almost five years old. Isn't it about time people changed the record?

There are plenty of people out there who won't forget The Saturdays' music, tons of young girls (and even some boys!) who will have grown up with their songs. People were saying S Club 7's music was throwaway pop but I know plenty of people who still listen to their stuff now.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post the full vid please.

Mollie twerking it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMcsu3bueo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hahaha, Mollie is my fave now. I so love Mollie and Rochelle together not fussed about the rest,

its that Rochelle Or vanessa in the back ground
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, Mollie is my fave now. I so love Mollie and Rochelle together not fussed about the rest,

its that Rochelle Or vanessa in the back ground

The one recording? It's Rochelle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one recording? It's Rochelle.

Cheers. i love Rochelle and Mollie are my favs's funny that cause i had the biggest crush on Vanessa for ages but i much prefer these 2 now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The girls finding out that they're number one for anyone that missed it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJjY8UNorR4

Mollie and Una are adorable in this.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good thing about WAU going to #1 is when Radio 1 play it throughout the week over the intro the voicover man/women willl say "This Is The UK's Official Number 1. Listen from 4 Watch from 6. *Song Starts* Like they do with every number 1 song :D

This may sound sad but I loved when it happened to Wings during the week it was #1 so I am looking forward to this weeks! :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Pierson wrote: »
    All Fired Up is already over a year old and people still love it. All their singles receive regular airplay according to CompareMyRadio and some of them are almost five years old. Isn't it about time people changed the record?

There are plenty of people out there who won't forget The Saturdays' music, tons of young girls (and even some boys!) who will have grown up with their songs. People were saying S Club 7's music was throwaway pop but I know plenty of people who still listen to their stuff now.

All Fired Up is from 2011 and it's still great. I hate the idea of people not listening to songs because they're no longer current. If I like it, I'll listen to it, no matter when it was released.

There's no way I'd ever forget The Saturdays' music. Chasing Lights came out when I was in my first year at university and the album brings back memories of that year. I also used to associate their songs with a particular lecturer :o:D In fact I used to associate each album with a particular year I spent at university:

Chasing Lights - first year (2008-2009)
    Wordshaker - second year (2009-2010)
    Headlines - third year (2010-2011)
    On Your Radar - repeat third year (or fourth year really) (2011-2012)

The new one will probably be for the 2013-2014 college year.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy for them getting the number 1 finally they deserve it. They've worked so hard even though it's not my most favourite single of theirs but I still love the song.
    I hope this is the start of many number 1's for them.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was first used when 30 Days Charted at #8? Last May:
    The Saturdays have had a song at every position in the Top 10 bar Number 1 and 6

No WAU is #1 the only number they haven't charted at is 6!

Next single to chart at #6 to complete the collection?! :D
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    1992 wrote: »
    This was first used when 30 Days Charted at #8? Last May:

No WAU is #1 the only number they haven't charted at is 6!

Next single to chart at #6 to complete the collection?! :D
    Yes because all the other songs without rappers got to no 1. Sean paul was the best thing about that song.

End of the day i don't see the proble'm they have 2 versions. 1 with him and 1 with out.

We'll agree to disagree. Sean Paul ruins it for me.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just seeing the Chatty Man interview. LOL at Alan calling SP a "rapper" and him just rolling with it. Mollie comes off as so much fun.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    Because you don't like something, it's mediocre? Describing them as 'giggling airheads' is just ignorant and misogynistic. It's the media that paints successful women as airheads and people like you don't bother to look beyond that. Hilary Mantel's criticism of the way the media treat Kate Middleton is easily applicable to The Saturdays and pretty much any women the Mail Online writes about. You should read her speech, you might learn something.

The girls deserve a Number One because they have spent years building up to this and most of them are genuinely passionate about music. Una spent years trying to make it as a singer/songwriter and even produced her own EP. Frankie and Rochelle were obviously in the S Club Juniors. Even though her voice has deteriorated, Vanessa's clearly a talented singer - she was scouted by their label after appearing in musicals. Mollie was in an unsigned girlband. None of them came to The Saturdays without prior experience in music, it was something they were all actively pursuing. There's a perception that girlband members are just looking for fame and money, but there are other industries that are much easier to be successful in if all you want is to be a celebrity.

I've never understood why people have to put others down for making the most of the opportunities they've been given and pursuing something they're passionate about. Are The Saturdays changing the music landscape? No, but they're great role models for young girls and their music has its own niche market. You might not remember their music in a few years time, but their fans will.

I'm not saying they are mediocre because I don't like them, I'm saying I don't like them because they are mediocre. Big difference. You suggest I think successful women are airheads, well that's ignorance. Have you never seen The Saturdays on tv chatshows? They always come across as dippy, superficial girls who just love the fact that they are on tv and in tabloids and magazines.

So they've all been singing for a long time. Big deal. Is that supposed to automatically mean they are talented musicians? There's thousands of people up and down the country who've been singing from an early age, you don't see all of them getting the same amount of attention. Besides, I wouldn't even care if they were the strongest singers in the world, it still wouldn't make their music any more memorable.

Also I fail to see how they are role models. How is being a member of a manufactured girlband something to aspire to? Aside from touring (which almost every musician on the planet does) all they do is countless 'interviews' in which they seem to have no idea what their own music is about and would rather talk about boyfriends and fame instead, and desperately plead for people to buy their songs in order to get their oh-so precious no.1 single, something which is purely down to popularity and has absolutely nothing to do with music these days. It's quite pathetic the way they have continuously been so shamelessly desperate for it - it would be nice if they focused on the actual music rather than a meaningless chart position.

Anyway, about the music, I know the 'it's all subjective' rhetoric and everything else, but I'm allowed as much as anyone to be objective, and for **** sake, LISTEN to their music - 99% of it is just boring, formulaic, sugar-coated pop fluff, with absolutely no edge or personality whatsoever. They can have as many chart hits as they like, and people can argue as much as they want otherwise, but the fact is that apart from the die-hard fans, of which I would question how many there are (how much did their last two albums sell?) no-one, even most pop fans, will be remembering their songs in years' time - I can barely remember any of them even now.

And it's not like I'm averse to pop music or girlbands either - Girls Aloud may have split up just recently, but they have had at least 7 or 8 bona fide brilliant pop songs which many people from all angles - pop fans, rock fans, even hard-nosed critics - have lauded and will continue to enjoy and view as pop classics for years to come. The same will never be said of The Saturdays, no matter how many singles they happen to get to the top of the charts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    I'm not saying they are mediocre because I don't like them, I'm saying I don't like them because they are mediocre. Big difference. You suggest I think successful women are airheads, well that's ignorance. Have you never seen The Saturdays on tv chatshows? They always come across as dippy, superficial girls who just love the fact that they are on tv and in tabloids and magazines.

So they've all been singing for a long time. Big deal. Is that supposed to automatically mean they are talented musicians? There's thousands of people up and down the country who've been singing from an early age, you don't see all of them getting the same amount of attention. Besides, I wouldn't even care if they were the strongest singers in the world, it still wouldn't make their music any more memorable.

Also I fail to see how they are role models. How is being a member of a manufactured girlband something to aspire to? Aside from touring (which almost every musician on the planet does) all they do is countless 'interviews' in which they seem to have no idea what their own music is about and would rather talk about boyfriends and fame instead, and desperately plead for people to buy their songs in order to get their oh-so precious no.1 single, something which is purely down to popularity and has absolutely nothing to do with music these days. It's quite pathetic the way they have continuously been so shamelessly desperate for it - it would be nice if they focused on the actual music rather than a meaningless chart position.

Anyway, about the music, I know the 'it's all subjective' rhetoric and everything else, but I'm allowed as much as anyone to be objective, and for **** sake, LISTEN to their music - 99% of it is just boring, formulaic, sugar-coated pop fluff, with absolutely no edge or personality whatsoever. They can have as many chart hits as they like, and people can argue as much as they want otherwise, but the fact is that apart from the die-hard fans, of which I would question how many there are (how much did their last two albums sell?) no-one, even most pop fans, will be remembering their songs in years' time - I can barely remember any of them even now.

And it's not like I'm averse to pop music or girlbands either - Girls Aloud may have split up just recently, but they have had at least 7 or 8 bona fide brilliant pop songs which many people from all angles - pop fans, rock fans, even hard-nosed critics - have lauded and will continue to enjoy and view as pop classics for years to come. The same will never be said of The Saturdays, no matter how many singles they happen to get to the top of the charts.

Cool story bro.
  • ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Prediction for this week:
    #1 The Saturdays - What About Us
    #2 Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    #3 P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason
    #4 Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man
    #5 Bastille - Pompeii

Prediction for next week:
    #1 Pitbull - Feel This Moment
    #2 Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    #3 Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man
    #4 The Saturdays - What About Us
    #5 P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason

How stupid of me to not include PJ and Duncan in my prediction! They've been hot favourites for the #1 spot this week for months!

New prediction for next Sunday:
    #1 The Saturdays - What About Us
    #2 P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason
    #3 PJ & Duncan - Let's Get Ready To Rhumble
    #4 Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    #5 Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man

I guess last week I thought the Pitbull track was rising so fast that it would get to the top 10 and the top 10 effect would kick in right away. It seems to be sticking around at #13 now. I'd love The Sats to get 2 weeks number one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool story bro.

My thoughts exactly. Fact is to be typing that much they must care :D
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Sean Paul? I thought he was dead?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »

Sounds like someone needs some musical botox.....