Time for Tyrone Dobbs to start growing a backbone?

NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would like to see this character finally snap and develop a more darker edgier role. He has been treated as a victim for the past few years, being cheated on by Molly, left by her twice, finding out his son isn't his, being manipulated and abused by Kirsty and nearly locked up in prison. Even his relationship with Fiz seems to be her having a go at him and he seems scared to speak back to her. And despite him neglecting the garage, I hated him just standing there letting Kevin have a go at him.

I know people would disagree, but I would like it if he started a bit of a mean streak and stood up for himself a bit more. For once tell Fiz to back off every time she whinges at him, and maybe also stand up to Kevin a bit more? Maybe he should steal the garage off Kevin and have a tighter grip over him and make Kevin do his bidding. And when he does snap and tells them where to go, don't go down the predictable route of his saying "I'm sorry" afterwards. Let him stand his ground.

Just saying this because I felt uncomfortable by last night, and then Fiz asking Sally to deal with Kevin.

Comments

• OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd agree it makes for uncomfortable viewing these days, but I think, (very realistically), he has been a lot more psychologically damaged by Kirsty than anyone realises.

As I understand it, the key aim of the domestic abuser, whether it's physical or mental abuse, is to make the victim feel totally worthless, dependent and with their self-esteem in tatters. Tyrone is showing all the classic signs of this.

I don't know if the writers are portraying Tyrone like this intentionally, but I hope they are and I hope it's leading to him acknowledging that he needs some sort of professional help and eventually receiving it.
  • LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see this character finally snap and develop a more darker edgier role. He has been treated as a victim for the past few years, being cheated on by Molly, left by her twice, finding out his son isn't his, being manipulated and abused by Kirsty and nearly locked up in prison. Even his relationship with Fiz seems to be her having a go at him and he seems scared to speak back to her. And despite him neglecting the garage, I hated him just standing there letting Kevin have a go at him.

I know people would disagree, but I would like it if he started a bit of a mean streak and stood up for himself a bit more. For once tell Fiz to back off every time she whinges at him, and maybe also stand up to Kevin a bit more? Maybe he should steal the garage off Kevin and have a tighter grip over him and make Kevin do his bidding. And when he does snap and tells them where to go, don't go down the predictable route of his saying "I'm sorry" afterwards. Let him stand his ground.

Just saying this because I felt uncomfortable by last night, and then Fiz asking Sally to deal with Kevin.

Agree with a lot of you post Nathan:)

BIB no1. I don't like the way Ty is defined by the woman he is seeing. Molly, Kirsty and Fiz have all exploited his good nature. Even Maria did up to a point when they were in a relationship way back when.

He is basically a decent bloke but can be overshadowed by more dominant characters. The way Kev spoke to him last night was horrible to watch.:(

BIB no2. Totally agree with this. But I think the scene in the pub with Fiz and Sally seemed to me to be more about making Tim squirm. Loved his expressions when Sally was taking about her ex.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tyrone was ok until kevins return when he returned to VILLAGE IDIOT with the gormless no brain expression.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loathe the thick mechanic (A). I love seeing him on the receiving end. Anybody who regards Fiz as a suitable life partner deserves nothing but contempt.
  • andrewd_1984andrewd_1984 Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had a backbone.

The whole plot with the garage is to give the character of Kevin something to do now he's back, and he's hugged and shook hands with as many characters as much as he can. The writers couldn't think of a better way of integrating him back into the show so decided to make Tyrone a complete muppett who's ran the garage into the ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Absolutely loathe the thick mechanic (A). I love seeing him on the receiving end. Anybody who regards Fiz as a suitable life partner deserves nothing but contempt.

Good post, mo. I love how I can always rely on you for a profound and insightful slice of empathy and perceptiveness on every issue. :cool:

I hate to take advantage of that, but do you think I should have cheese on toast or Beef Wellington for lunch? (Bearing in mind I don't actually have any beef or any Wellingtons). :)
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Good post, mo. I love how I can always rely on you for a profound and insightful slice of empathy and perceptiveness on every issue. :cool:

I hate to take advantage of that, but do you think I should have cheese on toast or Beef Wellington for lunch? (Bearing in mind I don't actually have any beef or any Wellingtons). :)

I like to think I tell it how it is. As for lunch, beef wellington sounds a bit heavy for a midday snack so I'd go for the cheese on toast if I were you. However, try something a bit different - I'm going to recommend a Belgian cheese called Limburger. A bit of an aroma but ideal for cheese on toast. Let me know how you get on.
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    If Tyrone suddenly became a dark character we'd be moaning about how unrealistic the show is. I wouldn't say it's impossible to do considering his background but it would have to be a long slow process to alter his character to that extent.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    More fool Kevin for leaving the thicko in charge in the first place! What else did he expect? Why didn't Fiz stick her nose in and check on whether the paperwork was being done properly? >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tirrone needs to start as he means to go on by regularly raising his hand to Fiz.
    Until he starts smacking her around on an increasingly frequent basis, I'll have no respect for him.

The other morning when the idle hag was mooching around in her dressing gown, poking her beak in as per, was an absolutely ideal time to start too.

I wouldn't normally condone domestic violence, especially on a woman, but will make every allowance going on this occasion.

He needs to do it in front of others too, in order to reassert his authority.
    Giving her a black eye or a thick ear in the Rovers on a busy night would do no harm whatsoever.

Once he's got that situation cracked, he can progress from there quite effortlessly - starting by putting a wrench across the back of Kevin's miserable bonce over at the garage, laying the ungrateful sod clean out and telling him he's the effing daddy now.

That new mechanic, Steph's brother, needs chinning too - first day on the job and he's already cheeking him back and displaying far too much attitude.
    Somebody should put his big head in a vice & leave it there.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd agree it makes for uncomfortable viewing these days, but I think, (very realistically), he has been a lot more psychologically damaged by Kirsty than anyone realises.

As I understand it, the key aim of the domestic abuser, whether it's physical or mental abuse, is to make the victim feel totally worthless, dependent and with their self-esteem in tatters. Tyrone is showing all the classic signs of this.

I don't know if the writers are portraying Tyrone like this intentionally, but I hope they are and I hope it's leading to him acknowledging that he needs some sort of professional help and eventually receiving it.

Well put, thanks for the reply. I never thought of it like that.
    tyrone was ok until kevins return when he returned to VILLAGE IDIOT with the gormless no brain expression.

The problem with Corrie is they tend to try and make male characters (some of them anyway) appear gormless. Steve, as much as I love him, is always portrayed as a buffoon. Apart from maybe some moments when he does stand up for himself, but this is really rare nowadays.
    silversox wrote: »
    More fool Kevin for leaving the thicko in charge in the first place! What else did he expect? Why didn't Fiz stick her nose in and check on whether the paperwork was being done properly? >:(

I wonder why Tyrone didn't get Tina, she seems to have brilliant experience when it comes to that sort of thing.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh god, I hope so too. If we're meant to think Tirrone's just a decent, ordinary guy, heaven help British manhood. Not that I'd like him to go the scheming route and try to nick the garage - apart from anything else he hasn't the brains for it - just to be less of a wet sponge.

We saw him be nasty to his friends when he was under Kirsty's sway, and he came across as a disloyal arse rather than a downtrodden victim. Maybe that's how victims of domestic abuse really are, but it was hard to feel sympathy for him.

It would be something of a first if the writers developed a personality trait in a character in reaction to a storyline, without drawing attention to it, over a long time. That would be impressive, and proof of Corrie's innate superiority over other soaps :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Oh god, I hope so too. If we're meant to think Tirrone's just a decent, ordinary guy, heaven help British manhood. Not that I'd like him to go the scheming route and try to nick the garage - apart from anything else he hasn't the brains for it - just to be less of a wet sponge.

We saw him be nasty to his friends when he was under Kirsty's sway, and he came across as a disloyal arse rather than a downtrodden victim. Maybe that's how victims of domestic abuse really are, but it was hard to feel sympathy for him.

It would be something of a first if the writers developed a personality trait in a character in reaction to a storyline, without drawing attention to it, over a long time. That would be impressive, and proof of Corrie's innate superiority over other soaps :D:D

Exactly - it would be nothing short of brilliant, but do you have any more faith than I do in today's Corrie writers to come up with something like that? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tirrone needs to start as he means to go on by regularly raising his hand to Fiz.
    Until he starts smacking her around on an increasingly frequent basis, I'll have no respect for him.

The other morning when the idle hag was mooching around in her dressing gown, poking her beak in as per, was an absolutely ideal time to start too.

I wouldn't normally condone domestic violence, especially on a woman, but will make every allowance going on this occasion.

He needs to do it in front of others too, in order to reassert his authority.
    Giving her a black eye or a thick ear in the Rovers on a busy night would do no harm whatsoever.

Once he's got that situation cracked, he can progress from there quite effortlessly - starting by putting a wrench across the back of Kevin's miserable bonce over at the garage, laying the ungrateful sod clean out and telling him he's the effing daddy now.

That new mechanic, Steph's brother, needs chinning too - first day on the job and he's already cheeking him back and displaying far too much attitude.
    Somebody should put his big head in a vice & leave it there.

It actually scares me that because we're talking about *spits* Fiz *spits*, I'm secretly praying for this sl to happen. :o:o:blush:blush:
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »

Because she was too busy sticking her beak into Roy's business. Did you see the moronic way she behaved yesterday when Kylie asked her to get Les Dennis's registration - DAH - you think this idiot frizz bun could do accounts???:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Kylie was like "get the reg plate DUHHH ge tthe reg plate".

And Fiz was ; no, no (DUHHHHHHHHHH) couldn't get it even though it was right of front of you, you dozy bint.
  • Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiz was little slow in getting the registration number from Les Dennis' van. I got all 6 figures (although I cannot remember it)
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think our Tyrone secretly likes getting trodden on and treated like crap, it's one of his fetishes.

He took a good few beatings off of Kirsty, then subjected himself to Fiz of all people. Personally I'd take a lifetime of beatings before one night with Fiz. To top it all off, he is moving in the man who impregnated his wife, and has kept his business afloat for months.

He absolutely loves it.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had a backbone.

The whole plot with the garage is to give the character of Kevin something to do now he's back, and he's hugged and shook hands with as many characters as much as he can. The writers couldn't think of a better way of integrating him back into the show so decided to make Tyrone a complete muppett who's ran the garage into the ground.
    But he's not run it into the ground has he? The cars and customers are queueing out the door to the point where even with Kevin back they've had to hire another mechanic. A £400 fine is nothing compared to the obvious massive expansion of the business Tyrone has been able to mastermind.

If Tyrone's not been paying the taxman then the tax money is still in the bank, so it really is just £400 loss Kevin is throwing a strop about, despite his asset now having higher turnover than ever before. In that position any businessman would be happy on balance, even if he did have to sacrifice a few evenings to get the paperwork back in order.

And also, from the amount of paperwork that fell out of the cupboard Tyrone has been keeping receipts and all the other necessary bits and pieces demanded by Companies House and HMRC. A decent bookkeeper could bring the whole lot up to date very quickly seeing as all the evidence about where money has been received or spent is there.

£400. What a drama queen Kevin is.
  • cookie_princesscookie_princess Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrone and Kevin are both 50% shared owners of the Websters Auto Centre, so It's Tyrone's responsibility to make sure the garage is running smoothly as well, surely Tyrone can hire some extra help or just pick up the phone tell Kevin!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    But he's not run it into the ground has he? The cars and customers are queueing out the door to the point where even with Kevin back they've had to hire another mechanic. A £400 fine is nothing compared to the obvious massive expansion of the business Tyrone has been able to mastermind.

If Tyrone's not been paying the taxman then the tax money is still in the bank, so it really is just £400 loss Kevin is throwing a strop about, despite his asset now having higher turnover than ever before. In that position any businessman would be happy on balance, even if he did have to sacrifice a few evenings to get the paperwork back in order.

And also, from the amount of paperwork that fell out of the cupboard Tyrone has been keeping receipts and all the other necessary bits and pieces demanded by Companies House and HMRC. A decent bookkeeper could bring the whole lot up to date very quickly seeing as all the evidence about where money has been received or spent is there.

£400. What a drama queen Kevin is.

That's exactly what i thought - 400 quid??

If it was £400,000 Kevin would have something to seriously moan about then.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly - it would be nothing short of brilliant, but do you have any more faith than I do in today's Corrie writers to come up with something like that? :(

Mmmmmm....no. But hang on in there Oldnj. That sl could be the sleeper to blow all other sls out of the water :D:D:cool:
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need Kirsty back with her vacuum cleaner. Give Fiz a pasting this time too.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin's return has made him look a proper chump
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd done more follow up with him. It would be natural for Tyrone to be scared whenever someone gets angry around him.