Options

UKIP would scrap Dr Who & Strictly....

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,147
    Forum Member
    >:(Please do not believe what you read in The Daily Express...it is about as a reliable news source as the BBC.

The Express that proudly reported it's owner gave £1m to UKIP, you mean it's not true it was monopoly money and photo with Nigel Farage was photo shopped?

If he bans all entertainment programmes from the BBC then that does mean the end of Strictly & Dr Who, unless regard them as not being entertaining.

What UKIP says one day is often contradicted the next. Looks like Farage was made to look a fool by the police and he's lashing out.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Well should the BBC be making those sorts of programmes, or should it be left to other programme makers and broadcasters?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll worry when they come to power
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The Express that proudly reported it's owner gave £1m to UKIP, you mean it's not true it was monopoly money and photo with Nigel Farage was photo shopped?

If he bans all entertainment programmes from the BBC then that does mean the end of Strictly & Dr Who, unless regard them as not being entertaining.

What UKIP says one day is often contradicted the next. Looks like Farage was made to look a fool by the police and he's lashing out.

What he fails to understand is that the formula works. You have to give the public a bit of what they like in order to provide (the vast majority) of the non-commercial stuff. Will the public really fund the BBC if all the BBC does is Radio 2,3,4 and 5... BBC2, much of BBC1, BBC3, BBC4 and BBC News?

People make the mistake of equating ratings with populism. They assume that a show that's popular on the BBC is commercial and therefore could be made by ITV. What these people forget is the only reason a show about ballroom and latin dancing is made is due to the funding structure of the BBC. If ballroom and latin dancing was so commercial, ITV would have done it years ago. The BBC is allowed to risk take because of the way it is funded. It is allowed to make programming which the ad-channels wouldn't touch...that's it's purpose. Some people really need to be reminded of why we have the BBC and what's it's purpose is. The BBC is not just another ITV...far from it. We need a well funded BBC now more than ever before...especially as the standards on the ad-channels are nose-diving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Well should the BBC be making those sorts of programmes, or should it be left to other programme makers and broadcasters?

Which programmes do you refer to? A list of programmes which you see on the BBC which the ad-channels also produce...
  • Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    The UKIP supporting Express is nothing like the BBC. The BBC is balanced for a start. Farage should be utterly ashamed for attacking our BBC and all the other organisations and institutions that make this country great. The bloke has lost the plot. Here's hoping his fifteen minutes of fame will be over soon.

The licence fee is the ONLY way to fund the BBC...to maintain it's independence...and to maintain it's high standards. Anyone with an anti BBC political or commercial agenda should be tackled head on in a strong and robust way. Any suggestion which is a worse than the current funding structure should be dismissed outright.

I would like to believe you are being ironic,sadly if you are I am missing the irony ;-)

There is a great similarity between the Express and The BBC ....unreliable news and information sources.

You claim the BBC is impartial yet you complain they are giving Farage too much exposure! ..........Quote from another of your postings "As for your attack on BBC News...where has Farage had all his disproportionate exposure?"

What are these high standards you claim the BBC has?

Why is the licence fee the only way to guarantee the BBC independence?

And would you care to define what the BBC is independent from now and would not be independent from if its funding structure were altered?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes because they are popular and serve a purpose to inspire people without ridiculing them as the X-Factor does with its audition process.

Also, where are these programme makers and broadcasters making programmes such as EastEnders, The C Word, Mrs Brown's Boys, Land Girls, Doctors, Have I Got News for You, Graham Norton, 24 Hours in The Past, Peter Kay's Car Share, A Question of Sport, Atlantis, Eggheads, Episodes, Later with Jools Holland, The Game, Charlie Brookers Wipe, QI.

It doesn't seem to click in some peoples brains the other broadcasters don't have the money and scrapping or preventing the BBC from making such programmes will not make the money magically appear.

It's almost front page news when a commercial broadcaster announces one new programme, the BBC is producing excellent entertaining programmes week after week. Yet UKIP want to take it all off our screens and instruct us to only watch what exactly on the BBC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to believe you are being ironic,sadly if you are I am missing the irony ;-)

There is a great similarity between the Express and The BBC ....unreliable news and information sources.

You claim the BBC is impartial yet you complain they are giving Farage too much exposure! ..........Quote from another of your postings "As for your attack on BBC News...where has Farage had all his disproportionate exposure?"

What are these high standards you claim the BBC has?

Why is the licence fee the only way to guarantee the BBC independence?

And would you care to define what the BBC is independent from now and would not be independent from if its funding structure were altered?

The BBC is reliable for news, the Express isn't. That's the first point. The Express is right-wing biased. The BBC is the only news provider I trust because it is balanced...due to it's funding structure.

Farage has had far to much coverage given that he is only a minor party. He is on the BBC every other day and indeed several times a day. His view should be expressed, but proportionally only.

The BBC's high standards are across it's broad portfolio of output.

The licence fee protects the political and commercial independence of the BBC...as you know. Any other funding structure wouldn't. It is why the BBC must always be funded by the licence fee / broadcasting levy.

If you want quality UK programming, you'll always find it on the BBC. The commercial sector on the other hand....
  • Options
    Forum Member

Has UKIP suggested an alternative funding model?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes because they are popular and serve a purpose to inspire people without ridiculing them as the X-Factor does with its audition process.

Also, where are these programme makers and broadcasters making programmes such as EastEnders, The C Word, Mrs Brown's Boys, Land Girls, Doctors, Have I Got News for You, Graham Norton, 24 Hours in The Past, Peter Kay's Car Share, A Question of Sport, Atlantis, Eggheads, Episodes, Later with Jools Holland, The Game, Charlie Brookers Wipe, QI.

It doesn't seem to click in some peoples brains the other broadcasters don't have the money and scrapping or preventing the BBC from making such programmes will not make the money magically appear.

It's almost front page news when a commercial broadcaster announces one new programme, the BBC is producing excellent entertaining programmes week after week. Yet UKIP want to take it all off our screens and instruct us to only watch what exactly on the BBC?

...and look at all the brilliant, informative docus we get...from 'the Motorways' on BBC4, to Nick and Margaret's trains documentary on BBC 2...and Our War on BBC3...then there is all the drama...supporting and promoting a very important sector within the UK...plus comedies. The BBC is so important for our country...and that Farage comes along - motivated by his ideology only - and attacks our BBC in an unacceptable way. If he believes in British...he should be celebrating our brilliant BBC, not undermining it. Our country is built on our public services, Farage wants to destroy it all. He is bad for community relations, he is bad for Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has UKIP suggested an alternative funding model?

No...he just wants to shut it down. That's all he is concerned about. No thought for what would be lost...and all the millions of people who value it's services, just get rid. I always knew the tories were bad...but the Kippers...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashcroft said last Wednesday the Tories are 2% ahead in Thanet South.

To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, I would love it if he lost. Absolutely love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Ashcroft said last Wednesday the Tories are 2% ahead in Thanet South.

To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, I would love it if he lost. Absolutely love it.

That's the only seat I want to see the tories win...to stop Farage...in fact all the other candidates should pull out to make sure he is defeated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess the UKIPPERS have run off to find out what the policy is today.
  • Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since you raise these questions and make these statements in a post with a quote from me as the heading...I will respond.

I made no comment in this thread,or anywhere else, about whether the owner of the Express gives funding or does not give funding to UKIP. I do not care either way. But, I will say this, whether or not the owner of the paper is a UKIP supporter he should have "a word" with those responsible for the total disinformation that the Express article portrays about the Farage/UKIP stance on BBC 'entertainment' programming......Farage never said,himself,on the BBC's Andrew Marr show that UKIP would scrap 'The Doctor' or 'Strictly.'

As you seem not to bother to go to source material for news here is the Farage position on this topic from the UKIP Website,a few minutes ago

"“When it comes to entertainment, the BBC should be proud of its ‘crown jewels’ such as Strictly Come Dancing and dramas such as Dr Who. They have become valuable global brands as well as programmes hugely appreciated by British audiences.

"Should the BBC feel it has to come up with its own version of every commercial TV genre, from dating formats to home makeover shows? I don’t think so.”

Farage is not saying he will ban entertainment from the BBC. Even if he was, that does not amount to the scrapping of either 'Doctor Who' or 'Strictly Come Dancing'.....the BBC could make and sell the programme,or the rights could simply by transferred or sold to another UK broadcaster.
    I doubt if the average viewer of those programmes gives a bean as to who the broadcast platform belongs to.

With respect to your comment about about UKIP saying one thing one day and then contradicting it the next.........I think you will discover,as your learn more about the real World, every political party has a history of doing that.;-)

Re the police making Farage look a fool, I do not know what you are referring to. If he is lashing out at the police is it a topic for this thread?
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

How many of those shows are actually made by external production companies?
    Eg
    Atlantis - Urban Myth Films
    Ordinary Lies - Red Production Company
    QI - Talkback & Quite Interesting Limited
    Have I got News for You - Hat Trick Productions
    Charlie Brookers Wipe - Zeppotron & House of Tomorrow
    Episodes - Hat Trick Productions & Crane/Klarik Productions & Showtime Networks
  • Options
    ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There alleged statements, and actions such as report HIGNFY to the police just underline Farage;s credentials as one of the most dangerous politicians since Hitler.

He too was populist, and pandered to a minority who go around with monstrous chips on their shoulders, blaming someone, or some group for their own ills.

In Hitler's case it was the jewish community - in Farage's it's immigrants per se

If (and thank heaven's he won't, at least this time) he got power organs such as the BBC would be in mortal danger if they continued to report the news, rather than the UKIP line.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    >:(Please do not believe what you read in The Daily Express...it is about as a reliable news source as the BBC.

Also the Express's weather stories have a about as much reliability as the joint BBC/Met Office forecasts.....the classic BBC Public Service Fail being "no hurricane on the way".....how many died as a result of that dis-information?

At no point in the interview did Farage say that 'Doctor Who' or 'Strictly Come Dancing' should be scrapped. Marr (BBC employee) tried to 'put those words in Farage's mouth'......but Farage did not take the bait.

On the UKIP website there is a statement on the future of the BBC published 3 May.
    It makes quite clear that UKIP believe the BBC should be proud of the international brand value of both 'Doctor Who' and 'Strictly Come Dancing.'

This 'story' and the disinformation style of the Thread Starter is another classic example of how the BBC and its supporters will stop at nothing in trying to keep the licence fee gravy train flowing and take a swipe at a politician who does not share their leftest liberal views.

It wasn't "the BBC and it's supporters" that created this, it was the Daily Express, blame them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eg

Tell you what, why not set up a production company and make a series without funding from somewhere, if Nigel Farage had his way if those programmes are scrapped then it's the jobcentre for those that worked on those programmes, the death of some production companies, facilities houses & studios there will be a knock on affect.

For example QI, Have I got News for You and Graham Norton were made at London Studios that's a fair bit of business to lose.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Eg

The programmes have to be commissioned first!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the Express's weather stories have a about as much reliability as the joint BBC/Met Office forecasts.....the classic BBC Public Service Fail being "no hurricane on the way".....how many died as a result of that dis-information?
    Read up what actually happened that year that repeating the usual rubbish.

There was not a hurricane.

Fish was asked if there was a hurricane on the way and he quite accurately said that there was not.

There are regularly warnings of severe storms but people still get killed or injured.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    That's the only seat I want to see the tories win...to stop Farage...in fact all the other candidates should pull out to make sure he is defeated.

Along with two who defected to UKIP, neither seemed to be any great loss to the Conservatives.

That is UKIP's problem, Farage himself is a bit 'odd' and too quick to make rather silly comments on things and all the UKIP candidates that I have seen are also rather odd characters. I cannot think of anyone in UKIP who I can respect and think they would make a good MP, certainly not a Minister!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re the police making Farage look a fool, I do not know what you are referring to. If he is lashing out at the police is it a topic for this thread?

UKIP and Farage made themselves a laughing stock for complaining to the police that a panellist on Have I Got News For You joked she'd been to Thanet more times than Farage.

The police almost immediately tossed the complaint aside.

When you look back Farage's history and the number of bust ups he has had with UKIP founders, activists etc it he looks like a control freak....if his party were in power I think he'd take retribution against any broadcaster or individual that dared to criticise his party.

At the UKIP manifesto there is footage of supporters homing in on a reporter who queried why so few black faces in their manifesto brochure.

You seem to forget combined with his banning of entertainment on the BBC he wants to reduce the TV Licence to £48. So your protestations that it doesn't mean the end of Strictly and Dr. Who is frankly a nonsense.

Unless you have in mind making Dr Who in black & white with a set that wobbly set as for Strictly it could come from a ballroom in Penge but there would be no budget for cameras, lighting or dancers.

Retro UKIP probably wants to return to the days when TV began at teatime and ended with the epilogue before midnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By the way former Conservative MP Jerry Hayes on Radio 5 Live was saying suggestions of BBC was nonsense as one lot said it is full of lefties while the left complained it was biased against them, which to him indicated the BBC had got the balance right.

Without going into detail Hayes said the audience would be astonished at the hoops they have to through with the BBC to ensure a programme at election time is balanced and fair.

I don't know the situation in Thanet but is Farage setting out his excuses for if he loses?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...as for Strictly it could come from a ballroom in Penge...
    If you are thinking of Peggy Spencer's ballroom, that might be a tad difficult - it was demolished years ago and the school no longer exists.

:( It was lovely there :(