9150T Standby

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a 9150T and just wondered would it cause any problems for the STB/HD if I left it on at all times and not in standby, or would it be best to put in standby when not in use?

sorry if this has been asked before in any other threads, but any info would be greatly appreciated..:)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from destroying the climate or some such i can't see it would do a huge amount of harm. But if your 9150 is anything like mine you may well destroy the fan long before it destroys the environment!

On mine the fan runs a lot when on (judging by the racket it makes!) so you run the risk of it seizing up long before it should do if you never switch it off. Which won't do the internals any good if they overheat as a result.

I would say put it into standby when you are not using it. You don't even need to leave it on if you've set it up to record a programme. it will wake up out of standby to do the recording then go back to sleep afterwards. Though obviously it won't do that if you switch off at the mains :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice chrisjr!

I think I will switch it to standby tonight!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    On mine the fan runs a lot when on (judging by the racket it makes!)

The latest software on mine means the fan cuts out completely a few seconds after powering up, and I haven't heard it running once while powered in over 3 months use.

Snail
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Do you really watch TV 24/7 ... :eek:

The least you could is use auto standby on/off to the times when your least likely to watch. :)
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    I have a 9150T and just wondered would it cause any problems for the STB/HD if I left it on at all times and not in standby, or would it be best to put in standby when not in use?

sorry if this has been asked before in any other threads, but any info would be greatly appreciated..:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote: »
    Do you really watch TV 24/7 ... :eek:

The least you could is use auto standby on/off to the times when your least likely to watch. :)

No no I don't watch TV 24/7..lol..:D

It was just a "what if/what would happen" type of question more than anything..I was thinking about leaving it on 24/7 but now I don't think I will!!..
  • shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Installed my 9150T today. All fine, except I noticed the standby light on the display is green at the moment (the box if off and the tv is off), would that be because it is recording (I'm recording DW on BBC)? When I switched it off earlier with no scheduled recordings the standby display went to red, but I noticed it was green when I got in from shopping about 15 mins prior to a recording has been scheduled. Is this normal? Will the display got back to red for standby after recording has finished?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax 9150T's go red when in stand by and green when switched on there will two green lights in the display when active both on the left of the display when recording something there will be two green lights and a red one...if you have scheduled future recordings there will be a green light to right in the dislplay (when in stand by) this goes out when the box is switched back on..hope this kind of helps

also 9150T's boot up 15 mins before a scheduled recording when in stand by..i think this is to load the EPG data!
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also 9150T's boot up 15 mins before a scheduled recording when in stand by..i think this is to load the EPG data!
    No. It is to check for the possibility of an early start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I stand corrected...:D
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    But it would update the EPG as well if the appropriate data was transmitted would it not? The scheduled times could conceivably be out of date if the unit had been in standby for a long time so this would be desirable or indeed necessary if the programme has been cancelled. Otherwise the unit would wait for ever for the expected EITp/f data.

Colin
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    But it would update the EPG as well if the appropriate data was transmitted would it not? The scheduled times could conceivably be out of date if the unit had been in standby for a long time so this would be desirable or indeed necessary if the programme has been cancelled. Otherwise the unit would wait for ever for the expected EITp/f data.

Yes it will update the EPG but it can make the recording without the EPG data.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    Yes it will update the EPG but it can make the recording without the EPG data.
    Even if the programme had moved to a different time slot or been cancelled completely? The EITp/f data transmitted around the original time would be for different programmes so the unit would not receive the data to trigger Accurate Recording (assuming of course the unit is set for "On Time"). Presumably if no data is received during the 15 minute monitoring period indicating that the subject programme is imminent then the unit may by default start recording at the time stored in the Scheduled Recording data but if so this would mean it would record the wrong programme.

Colin