Virgin Broadband Connection Problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Surfboard SB4100 modem (had it about 5 years now it was put in by telewest at the time) and a Belkin G wireless router I'm on 10mg broadband, The modem is connected to the router which feeds my laptop wirelessly. (No PC involved)

The problem I am experiencing is intermitant internet connection problems to my laptop..on my laptop desktop the network blue globe ident (by the laptop clock) keeps going on and off..I've tried everything to keep a constant connection..rebooted the modem, router and laptop that doesn't work!..but I still have intermitant connection problems..all the lights on the modem are all on constantly and the lights on the router are on (but the modem and internet lights flicker a bit)..I don't have the Belkin software on my new laptop as it found the router automatically..but the internet connection has been very flakey and intermitant since I had my new laptop at the start of June.

Virgin can't identify the problem and will not do anything because the router isn't theirs..I bought it seperately..when I'm on MSN people keep saying I keep signing in and out all the time...MSN keeps crashing some websites take ages to load...Ive checked for viruses etc and I've found nothing wrong..when downloading items off the net it just stops and slows down and hangs..it's just weird!

Just wondering if anyone could help with my problem not sure if Im doing something wrong?..thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well first of all you need a new modem from VM. The one your using is out of date and needs updating to handle 10mb. It could either be that or you need a new router or a combination of the two.
    Id suggest telling VM you have an old modem and its not giving you 10mb. See what its like when you get the new one. If still the same get a new router.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is that wireless G router?
    Do you get the problem when the laptop is in the same room as the router? If so then you need a new router. But get a new modem first just incase the problem is the modem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Belkin wireless G router is about a year old now...problems happen all over the house, I can be sitting next to the router and the internet connection will go slow and virutally stop and crash..

I have emailed Virgin as I'm fed up trying to explain the problem to someone in customer services who doesn't understand what I'm trying to say..I thought Id be better explaining it in an email..thanks for the replies much appreciated!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Are you running vista?

I have seen this problem with vista many times before... and with a second PC connected but running XP the connection is stable.

If possible get someone else to run a contant ping to your router's public IP address (assuming the router will respond to a ping) and see if it fails at the same time as you lose connection...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QAM wrote: »
    Are you running vista?

I have seen this problem with vista many times before... and with a second PC connected but running XP the connection is stable.

If possible get someone else to run a contant ping to your router's public IP address (assuming the router will respond to a ping) and see if it fails at the same time as you lose connection...

I am running vista on my laptop...my old connection set up was modem to router then to my old (XP) PC (wired) and then laptop (Vista)..my new set up goes Modem to router and laptop...both set ups have experienced the same intermitant cut outs..the cuts outs started months ago..but have gradually got worse over time!..anyway I have contacted Virgin and they are giving me a new modem as the surfboard SB4100 is now nearly 7 to 8 years old..not sure if this will stop the connection problems?