Extended Warranties

Does anyone know if you can buy "extended warranties" from Panasonic directly on their own products after purchase?

As I am thinking of buying a new panasonic plasma TV from either Laskeys or Dixons?

I have emailed Panasonic about this but I haven't heard anything at all yet...just thought someone on here may know.

Thanks in advance..;)

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can buy "extended warranties" from Panasonic directly on their own products after purchase?

As I am thinking of buying a new panasonic plasma TV from either Laskeys or Dixons?

I have emailed Panasonic about this but I haven't heard anything at all yet...just thought someone on here may know.

Thanks in advance..;)

Panasonic will simply refer you to D&G, who usually administer Panasonic's own extended warranties.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panasonic will simply refer you to D&G, who usually administer Panasonic's own extended warranties.

thanks for the info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nigel, the Panasonic five year warranties only available at dealers, I am told by Panasonic this is there own warranty
    I presume the same applies to the Sony five year warranty available only at dealers. Is this correct?

Also don't e mail Panasonic, a response takes weeks, always phone them for instant info.
    Forum Member
    janet owen wrote: »
    Nigel, the Panasonic five year warranties only available at dealers, I am told by Panasonic this is there own warranty
    I presume the same applies to the Sony five year warranty available only at dealers. Is this correct?

The Sony warranty is currently direct from Sony, certainly Panasonic used to use D&G (as did Sony) - perhaps Panasonic might have gone direct as well?, but I've never heard that.

In any case, Panasonic don't sell extended warranties, they would simply refer him to D&G (as, I suspect, would Sony).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sony warranty is currently direct from Sony, certainly Panasonic used to use D&G (as did Sony) - perhaps Panasonic might have gone direct as well?, but I've never heard that.

In any case, Panasonic don't sell extended warranties, they would simply refer him to D&G (as, I suspect, would Sony).

According to Panasonic, its there own five year,only avail at dealers until year end. See ad for a few dealers on the net.

I agree the buy it in is different,like a washing machine, from a third party like G&G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    The general concensus is that extended warrenties are a waste of money as modern gear is pretty reliable.

Also don't forget that under EU law a two year guarantee applies to all consumer goods everywhere in the EU

http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/en.pdf

see page 7.

In addition UK legislation gives you protection (not a warrenty) for six years.

I have been advised to get a free five year warranty due to possible panel failures on tvs.

The EU two year guarantee, are you sure it applies in the UK as no TV seller mentions it or states it, I quote Sony & Pany
    to which I did an in depth study before buying,nether on the phone said the warranty went beyond one year.

The five year special (dealers only) is different, but say,DRG/Comet/Amazon etc is one year.

Page 7 is open to argument, its very iffy, I would have difficulty forcing it on say Currys if the tv went wrong after a year.

But thanks anyhow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance..;)

Laskeys offered me 10% discount on a television on Sunday if I bought an extended warranty from them, this was on the phone, JL of course was free.

Beware Laskeys 7 day only return of goods, this is very poor, JL gave me 28 days. to return it,if I did not want it
    for cash back or bigger screen if I paid the diff.

But keep every scrap of packaging,if the box is damaged on delivery, note it to the driver & dealer,sign it damaged even if it only as a small puncture,otherwise this could cancel a return of goods,few do, but I have learned to do it,after a argument two years ago when the dealer said I damaged the
    box.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member

Thanks in advance..;)

Yes you can but you have to do it within the first 12 months

I can give you the number to call if you'd like?
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waranties are expensive and not really needed within the current EU two year window. Companies dont want consumers to know this because these companies make more money on warranties than on actual sales of goods.

Trouble is, once a claim is needed, then the consumer will have a lot of hassle to get repairs done, and often will have to go through the Office of Fair Trading in order to get results. This might deter buyers and many opt for the warranties to make it easier to make a claim.

This happened to me with Sony a couple of years back. My blu-ray player kept freezing up and needed a firmware update. The shop didnt want to know, even though the machine was only 6 months old. If I had to do the firmware update myself using a disc, and if it had gone wrong, then I would have invalidated the guarantee. They denied this, but I wouldnt trust them as far as I would throw them. However, after some arguing, they gave me a phone number for a dealer who would update firmware, and that didnt work because he was out of his jurisdiction as far as the area was concerned. So, I reported this to the Office of Fair Trading, and they wrote to the Sony Branch. Next day, I got a call from the branch and was asked to take it back to the shop where the firmware update was done.

I got poor service, with salespeople giving me dirty looks as I walked into the shop. I was told to take it away, and judging by even more dirty looks, they hoped I wouldnt come back. This was unacceptable.

Now, if the boot was on the other foot, would these same salespeople like to be treated this way by other shops?

It is a pity that strong honest values have gone out of the window. Just rip off the customer is their point. How sad and how low has this country sunk.
    Forum Member
    The EU two year guarantee, are you sure it applies in the UK as no TV seller mentions it or states it, I quote Sony & Pany to which I did an in depth study before buying,nether on the phone said the warranty went beyond one year.

It doesn't apply in the UK, but people still keep repeating the fallacy that it does.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't apply in the UK, but people still keep repeating the fallacy that it does.
    As I understand it the Sale Of Goods Act covers everything that the EU regulation covers and more.

A random bit of googling found this.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/eu-directive-sale-of-goods/
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 5 year warranty I got on my Panny a couple of years back was direct with Panasonic. (That was part of the Panny offer at the time and wasn't a separate purchase which as you say probably wouldn't have been with Panasonic).
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    The 5 year warranty I got on my Panny a couple of years back was direct with Panasonic. (That was part of the Panny offer at the time and wasn't a separate purchase which as you say probably wouldn't have been with Panasonic).

Like I said, I don't know what the situation is with Panasonic now, but previously all Panasonic extended warranties were through D&G - NOT a separate purchase though, included in the price when you buy the set, and you wouldn't know it was D&G (unless you read the certificate you received, which may mention it).

I don't know if Panasonic are as confusing as Sony?, but I currently have to administer 19 different extended warranty types for Sony - about half and half Sony/D&G. This doesn't generally affect the customers in any way - just the engineer :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can but you have to do it within the first 12 months

I can give you the number to call if you'd like?

Yeah if you can that would be very good..thanks..:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this has been interesting reading, thanks for all replies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont forget read the return of goods with laskeys on the net,then compare it with Dixons, if you deal with either.

Also Dixons is quick free delivery,Laskeys charge unless yoyu wait for a week and more for delivery..

Little things like these made me decide to go with J Lewis
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said, I don't know what the situation is with Panasonic now, but previously all Panasonic extended warranties were through D&G - NOT a separate purchase though, included in the price when you buy the set, and you wouldn't know it was D&G (unless you read the certificate you received, which may mention it).

All the paperwork was Panasonic and all the contacts etc are with Panasonic Bracknell - no mention of D&G. Whether they take out a separate policy with D&G maybe wouldn't be specified but it doesn't really matter as the legal responsibility (in my case, I can't comment on others) lies with Panasonic and it will be up to them to repair or replace it if it goes US.

That was 2 years ago (or was it 3, time passes quickly when you get old). It was definitely just before Christmas as I went into town to get some balloons and came back with a 50" plasma - now SWMBO does most of the shopping herself:D.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panasonic "free 5 year guarantees" are via Panasonic dealer network only . You can take a faulty unit to any authorised service dealer in the UK .

Domestic and general are not involved in this case , but if you are buying from a non Panasonic dealer then the product will have no warranty from Panasonic ( bought out warranty ) .

The warranty will be for you to return it to your supplier !

Ian
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    Panasonic "free 5 year guarantees" are via Panasonic dealer network only . You can take a faulty unit to any authorised service dealer in the UK .

Exactly as it was when D&G were doing the five year warranty for them, and exactly as the already existing Sony five year warranties via D&G work as well.

As far as I'm aware at no time is D&G involved with the customer - it's a normal warranty, simply funded by D&G.

Certainly back in 2007 or so Panasonic were using D&G for their extended warranties, as were Sony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Domestic and general are not involved in this case , but if you are buying from a non Panasonic dealer then the product will have no warranty from Panasonic ( bought out warranty ) .

Ian

You have lost me here,I bought a Panasonic TXL32G20 via Amazon, inside the box was a Panasonic one year warranty card asking me to register it with Panasonic, this was October 2010, the set failed due to a firmware download,I phoned Panasonic who gave me a local warranty service agent (Butlers of Hawarden), phone number, asked me to call them out FOC, as Pany knew what the problem was,however the helpful female at Pany told me if the set is under 28 days send it back for a new one to save hassle,this I did, but got a full refund as the model was unavail at the price I paid.
    Forum Member
    You have lost me here,I bought a Panasonic TXL32G20 via Amazon, inside the box was a Panasonic one year warranty card asking me to register it with Panasonic, this was October 2010, the set failed due to a firmware download,I phoned Panasonic who gave me a local warranty service agent (Butlers of Hawarden), phone number, asked me to call them out FOC, as Pany knew what the problem was,however the helpful female at Pany told me if the set is under 28 days send it back for a new one to save hassle,this I did, but got a full refund as the model was unavail at the price I paid.

That sounds the normal sort of procedure - I think 'iangrad' is a little confused, a small number of companies do buy out the warranties, but it is only a very small number. Most will sell with the standard warranty that Panasonic offer at the time, usually 12 months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member

Ian
    Exactly as it was when D&G were doing the five year warranty for them, and exactly as the already existing Sony five year warranties via D&G work as well.

As far as I'm aware at no time is D&G involved with the customer - it's a normal warranty, simply funded by D&G.

Certainly back in 2007 or so Panasonic were using D&G for their extended warranties, as were Sony.

Nigel, but I believe Ian is correct. If you buy a Panasonic TV from a dealer that is offering a free Panasonic five year (sometimes three, depending on where they go) it is with Panasonic.

The customer will be given a form to complete and they must send it off to Panasonic in Bracknell. When the form has been processed the customer receives a certificate back from Panasonic.

If the TV developes a fault during the warranty period the customer can contact any local dealer within the Panasonic Digital Service Network, produce the certificate and the dealer will claim the parts and labour back from Panasonic.

This type of warranty has nothing at all to do with D&G.

Mike
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the TV developes a fault during the warranty period the customer can contact any local dealer within the Panasonic Digital Service Network, produce the certificate and the dealer will claim the parts and labour back from Panasonic.

This type of warranty has nothing at all to do with D&G.

Mike[/QUOTE]
    ............................................................................................

But not any local dealer,TE Roberts of Wrexham/Malpas/Chester will only service stock they sell & wont touch others sold by a Pany dealership,even though TE Roberts are part of the Network. I was given the name of Butlers of Hawarden(nr Chester) by Pany,staff who were aware of TE Roberts system of non assistance of any Pany
    1/3/5 warranty bought elsewhere from a Pany Official Dealer.

I presume Pany accept this to keep TE Roberts on board as all they sell now is Pany, at prices too high for me.
    This firm used to be a Sony agent, but for reasons not known to me, wont touch Sony anymore.

Sorry I type as I think, about to out into the white wilderness
    and JL are supposed to deliver my new purple Pany today
    so I await the call to meet the van at a lower level,If I can get out, must say JL using there own vans from Liverpool have been most helpful, for me to arrange a pick up point,hell sounds like a Mexico Cartel. Thank goodness they dont use parcel force or NPS, or it will be next year having delft with these awful firms previous who will not attempt to deliver & lie they have called even in summer.

JO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    But not any local dealer,TE Roberts of Wrexham/Malpas/Chester will only service stock they sell & wont touch others sold by a Pany dealership,even though TE Roberts are part of the Network. I was given the name of Butlers of Hawarden(nr Chester) by Pany,staff who were aware of TE Roberts system of non assistance of any Pany
    1/3/5 warranty bought elsewhere from a Pany Official Dealer.

I presume Pany accept this to keep TE Roberts on board as all they sell now is Pany, at prices too high for me.
    This firm used to be a Sony agent, but for reasons not known to me, wont touch Sony anymore.

Sorry I type as I think, about to out into the white wilderness
    and JL are supposed to deliver my new purple Pany today
    so I await the call to meet the van at a lower level,If I can get out, must say JL using there own vans from Liverpool have been most helpful, for me to arrange a pick up point,hell sounds like a Mexico Cartel. Thank goodness they dont use parcel force or NPS, or it will be next year having delft with these awful firms previous who will not attempt to deliver & lie they have called even in summer.JO

I'm can't comment on this particular company, but generally speaking they would be in breach of the Panasonic DSN agreement/contract.

From my understanding, a Panasonic DSN should be willing to accept repairs on any applicable equipment within their service area.

If you are not happy, a call to Panasonic Customer Care on 0844 844 3852 should clarify the matter.