Ebay seller will only refund if I withdraw -ve feedback

DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I purchased an item 9th October, estimated delivery was 11th-12th Oct. I waited until 19th Oct to contact seller asking if it had been posted as I really needed it by Sat 20th Oct. Seller didn't respond so I left -ve feedback. I know it was hasty but I was frustrated at no response to my message. I requested a refund on Fri 26th as item hasn't arrived. Seller wants me to retract feedback before refunding me. Is this normal practice on Ebay?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    No, it's not allowed and definitely frowned upon as it's basically blackmail. Open a dispute.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you paid by paypal you would no doubt get a refund if you raised a dispute with ebay but it may take longer than just agreeing. Whether or not this is common practice is probably not worth worrying about?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's against eBay rules and is known as feedback extortion:
    Sellers can't require buyers to leave specific Feedback or detailed seller ratings. Sellers also can't demand that buyers revise existing Feedback or detailed seller ratings. This applies to all Feedback activity, whether it happened before, during or after delivery of items or services described in the original listing.
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

You can report your seller to eBay via the link on the above page.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, for the replies, if the seller sends me the revision form before refunding me i'll report them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not criticising OP but if I ordered something on ebay and needed it delivered within a specified time I would have checked before bidding or at least sent them a message straight after winning.
  • harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased an item 9th October, estimated delivery was 11th-12th Oct. I waited until 19th Oct to contact seller asking if it had been posted as I really needed it by Sat 20th Oct. Seller didn't respond so I left -ve feedback. I know it was hasty but I was frustrated at no response to my message. I requested a refund on Fri 26th as item hasn't arrived. Seller wants me to retract feedback before refunding me. Is this normal practice on Ebay?

By leaving feedback you may cause further problems. if the item doesn't require a signature it could be construed that you have received the item.
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    dont think you can leave negitive feedback anymore can you?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont think you can leave negitive feedback anymore can you?
    The buyer can, the seller can't.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By leaving feedback you may cause further problems. if the item doesn't require a signature it could be construed that you have received the item.

No, even positive feedback doesn't count (as I've found to my cost as a seller). Buyer will win a dispute if they haven't signed for the item.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    The buyer can, the seller can't.

Correct but there is now a facility where you can Report a Buyer to Ebay. The Buyer doesn't know but Ebay keeps a record of your complaint and they can see if a pattern develops.

I have reported 2 people this week because it gets on my nerves how some people mess you about.

One of them bought something (which was perfect), then claimed it wasn't. I said return please and I'll refund. Next day she said she'd posted it and without informing me opened a case. This was about 6 weeks ago and to this day I have never received the item back. She's clearly trying it on but if she tries it on again with someone else then Ebay will be aware.

The other person won an item and then emailed to say she didn't want it as her child had bid on it and it wasn't what they wanted. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not criticising OP but if I ordered something on ebay and needed it delivered within a specified time I would have checked before bidding or at least sent them a message straight after winning.

It was a buy it now item and the delivery times indicated that it would be sent in plenty of time before I needed it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the sellers choice that they don't use signed for delivery service. I've had buyers tell me they haven't received items and have refunded them straight away. On one occasion the item was returned to me by the post office as the buyer hadn't collected it. I only use recorded delivery now if I sell on ebay.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member

Open a dispute, you will win. Easy.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member

Estimated delivery was 12th October.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    If you paid by paypal you would no doubt get a refund if you raised a dispute with ebay but it may take longer than just agreeing. Whether or not this is common practice is probably not worth worrying about?

I don't know about that I've lost faith in PayPal's dispute procedures. I bought a DVD from someone it was supposed to be genuine with hologram. I paid £11 for it which was a few quid cheaper than Amazon. When I got it it was a pirate, the hologram was there but didn't work as a hologram so when you moved it the image didn't change. The printing was also not up to scratch on the sleeve. I could tell it was a pirate DVD.

I raised it with the seller and he just asked me to send the DVD back and he'd refund. I refused, why should I have to go to the post office with illegal goods to send back to him?

Raised a PayPal dispute and PayPal said they'd only refund me if I sent him back the DVD! He eventually refunded me when I threatened to report him to Hertfordshire (where he lives) Trading Standards.