Options

What would you like from Sky (as Santa) from 2013 onwards ...

Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's been a while since I posted, so hello to all & Season's Greetings (well almost)!!

What would you like Sky to provide us with from 2013 onwards? Also, can some of those peeps who are in the know, let us know what they know; this might spur some ideas and get Sky thinking as well ...

I'll start the ball rolling ...
* Can they get together with the various music channels and get them on board to produce an on demand section/music list playback
* Backwards compatible EPG, say even just 24 hours to start with links to on demand (similar to youview)
* Reward for long standing customer's with access to new products before others and allow us to beta test them, before we buy
* Free subscriptions are bowled out, so no point in asking for that

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they already allow people to be beta testers. the current EPG was beta tested, and invitations were advertised at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    they already allow people to be beta testers. the current EPG was beta tested, and invitations were advertised at the time.

Yep, I read that, I was thinking about new boxes/services and being able to try before you buy - at the end of the day, we've been their customer (my case) 7 years, they will have a profile of me and it would be low risk for them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Access to the 3D channel for those that don't have nor want the full package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Access to the 3D channel for those that don't have nor want the full package.

Yep, agree with this - only problem, is that I think they still don't have enough content and it would be a let down for people. Mind you, if they gave access to Movies or Sports customer's that might just make it worthwhile. I for one would like to see more 3D movies shown without them being pay per view
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Sky go on my Transformer Prime.
  • Options
    arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
      Intelligent Search YouTube Catch-Up Backward Scroll "Music" section in On Demand Option to remove SD versions of HD content in On Demand
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you look at sky italia website it looks like they dont have a HD pack like us lot in the uk so
    i would like to see them drop the price to lets say £1 or drop the HD pack. as sky italia have the HD channels as part of the for packs. look now right to me
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planner sharing between boxes and a proper smart search function please!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Captain W wrote: »
    I for one would like to see more 3D movies shown without them being pay per view

Films shown in 3D match Sky Box Office and Sky Movies licences.

Unless they have a dedicated 3D PPV channel, unlikely as HD is now just one, it can't happen.

And all those PPV slots on Sky 3D would only get filled with more repeats of the films that can be shown!!
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky go on my Transformer Prime.

How about making Sky Go available on all Android platforms, there is absolutely no technical reason why it can't.

I had the original version of Sky Go running on a no-name Android tablet running CM9.
  • Options
    DONT LOOK NOWDONT LOOK NOW Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Sky Store should be assessable for free for all premium customers. We already pay for movies, why should we have to pay again.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Store should be assessable for free for all premium customers. We already pay for movies, why should we have to pay again.

Because PPV is not subscription TV and a lot of the fee goes directly to the distributor and not to Sky.
  • Options
    speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Reward long term customer loyalty in a meaningful way!
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    How about making Sky Go available on all Android platforms, there is absolutely no technical reason why it can't.

I had the original version of Sky Go running on a no-name Android tablet running CM9.

Is that even possible on a rooted device. Sky go doesn't work on any of mine that have rooted software on them?
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    Planner sharing between boxes and a proper smart search function please!

Planner sharing isn't far off as its in live testing as we speak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I want for Xmas from sky is all the bugs fixed, and to kill off anytime and give us back at least a % of the space for our own personal use, very simple request really and would make millions of their customers very happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I want for Xmas from sky is all the bugs fixed, and to kill off anytime and give us back at least a % of the space for our own personal use, very simple request really and would make millions of their customers very happy.

millions ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Planner sharing isn't far off as its in live testing as we speak.

is it?
    live testing by whom?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »

This.

The Sky/Apple love in is annoying to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    This.

The Sky/Apple love in is annoying to say the least.

it's not a love in, it's simply down to how easier (and cheaper)it is to develop on that platform.

fragmentation, and the numerous different hardware combinations on android is what is making it slow on that platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not a love in, it's simply down to how easier (and cheaper)it is to develop on that platform.

fragmentation, and the numerous different hardware combinations on android is what is making it slow on that platform.

How do the overwhelming majority of other app makers manage it then?

Surely it's the operating system that matter anyway. You don't get software makers making products for Dell, HP, Samsung, Acer etc. They just make their software for Windows XP, Vista, 7 ,8 etc. Why is Android any different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do the overwhelming majority of other app makers manage it then?

Surely it's the operating system that matter anyway. You don't get software makers making products for Dell, HP, Samsung, Acer etc. They just make their software for Windows XP, Vista, 7 ,8 etc. Why is Android any different?

because you still have android phones running v2 all the way up the current version.

you have android phones with various differnet screen sizes, various different CPUs etc etc

it's not comparable to developing windows apps at all really.
    Dell, HP etc don't customise Windows to suit their hardware.
    also, the DRM capabilities of the various android versions causes issues too.

i'm not saying it's not possible, it's not just as simple a process as developing for iOS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because you still have android phones running v2 all the way up the current version.

You still have PC's running all sorts of different Windows versions. Software makers just make their products run with the few latest versions. Sky could surely do the same with Android. At the moment they are allowing Sky Go to run with certain models of phone rather than the Android version.
    you have android phones with various differnet screen sizes, various different CPUs etc etc

Same as with PC's then.
    it's not comparable to developing windows apps at all really.
    Dell, HP etc don't customise Windows to suit their hardware.
    also, the DRM capabilities of the various android versions causes issues too.

I'll give you that one :)
    i'm not saying it's not possible, it's not just as simple a process as developing for iOS.

Sky are just dragging their heals imo. BBC iPlayer, Youtube, ITV player, TV Catchup, Netflix etc etc don't seem to have all these limitations. If they can do it then why can't Sky? There are more Android users than iOS, so surely they should be getting on with it. There's only one reason I can think of why they aren't and that's some kind of deal with Apple. You only have to look at some of Sky TV's ads which are as much of an ad for the iPad as they are for Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are just dragging their heals imo. BBC iPlayer, Youtube, ITV player, TV Catchup, Netflix etc etc don't seem to have all these limitations. If they can do it then why can't Sky? There are more Android users than iOS, so surely they should be getting on with it. There's only one reason I can think of why they aren't and that's some kind of deal with Apple.

i think iPlayer has only just become available on certain Android devices (within the last couple of weeks maybe?)

they are getting on with it though, obviously not as fast as you would have hoped though.

your theory about an apple deal is most likely incorrect. you've already seen threads telling you about upcoming Sky+ and Sky Go apps on Android.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think iPlayer has only just become available on certain Android devices (within the last couple of weeks maybe?)

they are getting on with it though, obviously not as fast as you would have hoped though.

your theory about an apple deal is most likely incorrect. you've already seen threads telling you about upcoming Sky+ and Sky Go apps on Android.

Indeed, but they'll be limited to a handful of devices.

iPlayer have only just released iPlayer for Android Jelly bean. However they have not limited it to device X, Y and Z.