The Sky at Night - Monday 7 Jan 2013, BBC1

TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
Forum Member
...is entitled Reaching for the Stars and it was the last ever edition of the programme that Sir Patrick recorded:

For more than half a century Sir Patrick Moore encouraged people to look up at the wonders of the night skies. Fittingly in this programme, recorded just before his death, he and his team offer advice to those who are discovering astronomy for the very first time. How should they set up their new telescopes and what should they seek out in the winter skies as they begin to share Sir Patrick's lifelong passion for the stars?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pt8sy

We await to see who will be presenting the February edition of the programme but both Professor David Southwood, the president of the Royal Astronomical Society, and Dr Richard Miles, a former president of the British Astronomical Association, have publicly stated that they would like to see Dr Brian May, astronomer and Queen guitarist, take over the presenting role because of his communication abilities:

Brian May should replace Sir Patrick Moore on Sky At Night, astronomy experts say. Queen guitarist Brian May should replace Sir Patrick Moore on BBC1’s Sky At Night, leading astronomy professors have claimed, hailing the musician as one of the few space enthusiasts who could live up to the deceased presenter’s “common touch”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/9751563/Brian-May-should-replace-Sir-Patrick-Moore-on-Sky-At-Night-astronomy-experts-say.html

Comments

• bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Brian May for TSAN...yes please.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This on tonight, I certainly will be tuning in
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    "However, the BBC said it has yet to make a decision about whether to continue airing Sky at Night, let alone who might take over as presenter."

"Kim Shillinglaw, the BBC’s commissioning editor for science and natural history, said: “We at the BBC are still absorbing the very sad event, which is Patrick Moore passing on. We already have a number of episodes in the can with him in.

Well, that's obviously incorrect, isn't it? The programmes were recorded monthly, weren't they? And not months in advance, surely.

Can't believe there's any question about the future of the programme, either.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly it would have been rather nice considering this is the first edition since Sir Patrick's passing away, if the BBC had at least deemed it appropriate to show it somewhat earlier than midnight on a Sunday evening, at least just this once.

I was surprised to hear that his January 2013 edition had already been recorded. I always imagined that they were done maybe a week or two at most beforehand, considering that sometimes there are topical issues to discuss, and indeed did his November or December edition not actually mention the total eclipse in Australia in November and his wish that he could have seen it. I would be astonished if there are a number of months left with his presentation into 2013, unless of course, he knew his health was failing fast and decided or was asked to make a few more ahead of time, maybe even in the knowledge that they could continue for a short spell after his passing.

In terms of The Sky At Night and its future, if the BBC cannot treasure a 20 to 30 minute programme that airs just once a month and has been going for over half a century, which is as relevant today as it ever was, and will continue to be, then they should hang their collective heads in shame. Of course it should carry on. I'm sure Sir Patrick did not want the programme to die with him. Brian May would make a great replacement if and when the time comes, on so many levels. He was close to Patrick, he is clever and qualified, and has the charisma and communication abilities to carry Sir Patrick's flame onwards with humility, and his own unique style too. Sir Patrick's undeniably clever roving reporter in his latter years, Chris Lintott simply can't really hold the programme himself as a presenter and is best in the role he has been doing.

Personally I still can't believe that Sir Patrick Moore is no longer with us, and will no longer look up at the heavens, but whenever I have been doing so recently I have been thinking of him, and his enthusiasm and inspiration he conveyed for so long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    In terms of The Sky At Night and its future, if the BBC cannot treasure a 20 to 30 minute programme that airs just once a month and has been going for over half a century, which is as relevant today as it ever was, and will continue to be, then they should hang their collective heads in shame.

You really think that would care if they decided to cancel it?

I really do not think they care that much about simple straight to camera intelligent informative shows without some hook or yoof appeal.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic, is a 2 piece version of Queen(May & Roger Taylor) still going or not?

Would he have time to do SAN?
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be a damn shame if they drop it but I could believe it.
    I wouldn't put it past them to lose it as a separate programme in the schedule but try to mollify us by promising to include an occasional astronomy item in a general magazine show. The same kind of 'thinking' happened on Radio 4 where they dropped a programme on the environment and natural world and one on disability issues to amalgamate it with some crap all-purpose dross which I never bother with.

Imagine - "In today's One Show Belinda brings a report about the night sky and the difference between stars and planets. What do your stars say about you?"

Shudder. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, is a 2 piece version of Queen(May & Roger Taylor) still going or not?

i think its an occasional thing with queeen.plenty of time between gigs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Firstly it would have been rather nice considering this is the first edition since Sir Patrick's passing away, if the BBC had at least deemed it appropriate to show it somewhat earlier than midnight on a Sunday evening, at least just this once.

I was surprised to hear that his January 2013 edition had already been recorded. I always imagined that they were done maybe a week or two at most beforehand, considering that sometimes there are topical issues to discuss, and indeed did his November or December edition not actually mention the total eclipse in Australia in November and his wish that he could have seen it. I would be astonished if there are a number of months left with his presentation into 2013, unless of course, he knew his health was failing fast and decided or was asked to make a few more ahead of time, maybe even in the knowledge that they could continue for a short spell after his passing.

In terms of The Sky At Night and its future, if the BBC cannot treasure a 20 to 30 minute programme that airs just once a month and has been going for over half a century, which is as relevant today as it ever was, and will continue to be, then they should hang their collective heads in shame. Of course it should carry on. I'm sure Sir Patrick did not want the programme to die with him. Brian May would make a great replacement if and when the time comes, on so many levels. He was close to Patrick, he is clever and qualified, and has the charisma and communication abilities to carry Sir Patrick's flame onwards with humility, and his own unique style too. Sir Patrick's undeniably clever roving reporter in his latter years, Chris Lintott simply can't really hold the programme himself as a presenter and is best in the role he has been doing.

Personally I still can't believe that Sir Patrick Moore is no longer with us, and will no longer look up at the heavens, but whenever I have been doing so recently I have been thinking of him, and his enthusiasm and inspiration he conveyed for so long.

Well said Sir ! ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preparing to watch and feel a bit sad.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I still can't believe that Sir Patrick Moore is no longer with us, and will no longer look up at the heavens, but whenever I have been doing so recently I have been thinking of him, and his enthusiasm and inspiration he conveyed for so long.[/QUOTE]
    ................................................................................................
    Think there are many of us who will miss him dearly:(

edit...sorry messed up quote
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it now and there's very little Patrick Moore in it at all.

The bit about helping people to use telescopes - and the other sorts of things they do in this vein - helps to bring in more viewers than the studio-based discussions (which are really a relic of the limitations of 1950s television when TSAN began).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old chap didn't look well.
    Lovely collage of his work at the end though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old chap didn't look well.
    Lovely collage of his work at the end though.

I met him a couple of years ago at his home and he was very, very frail then............but the intelligence and humour abounded still.

Sheds a little tear
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    After watching The Sky At Night almost every month for the last 55 years, at the end of this, Sir Patrick Moore's final broadcast, I cried.

It felt rather like losing an old friend. :cry:
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was very well pitched. It looked like it was all set up as usual for recording, but PM was in hospital. Then he came out with no prospect of recovery, so they filmed the bookends - he looked quite spritely in the intro, but you could feel that he knew that the end was near when he did "next month". However, he was always looking forward, saying "I will not be here then" on many items.

I cannot understand why the BBC would axe it as it must cost little to make and it makes "Stargazing Live" rather pointless if there is nothing to sustain the initial interest. I think Chris Lintott would be best to take it over, although Brian May could be a fairly frequent co-presenter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    You really think that would care if they decided to cancel it?

I really do not think they care that much about simple straight to camera intelligent informative shows without some hook or yoof appeal.

I understand exactly what you mean, as this week we have for the third year in a row the three nightly Stargazing Live with Brian Cox. Of course there is a place for this kind of TV, and it will be enjoyable, but it did have aspects last time including the unwelcome inclusion of Jonathan Ross for no good reason, that diminished it. There is no need to "sex" astronomy up, but some would argue the mere appearance of Brian Cox has already done that single handedly. But he's okay in my book in small doses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wibbleyuk wrote: »
    Well said Sir ! ........

Thankyou! I am certain my own sentiments speak for many thousands of others also, as Stargazer61 has also said. Remember him with a smile. :)
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, it was shown late, i'd hope that many people have access to iPlayer

Can watch it anytime to suit, i'm going to watch it now. Tips hat to Sir Patrick
    Farewell Sir

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pt8sy/The_Sky_at_Night_Reaching_for_the_Stars/
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Sad to see the show tonight I do wish the BBC could have mentioned it a bit more in either the news or as a trailer. I get the feeling in a way the BBC are glad to see the back of Sir Patrick.

According to Chris Lintott's twitter the Feb show is planned (some of the filming for it was probably done some time back) and will have Dr Lucie Green on as well.

I mention her as I suspect if the BBC did decide to keep the Sky at night going they may well want to 'BBCize' it with at least one regular female presenter and she'd be a good choice as she's often on the show anyway.

I don't think it needs a celeb presenter the current crew of Chris, Paul and Pete have held the fort for several years now.

I agree with some of the comments that the BBC may well look to kill it off, although I suspect they will run into a lot of resistance from the media, the likes of Brian Cox, Jonathan Ross, Brian May, Terry Pratchett could kick up quiet a fuss. Also, the BBC has to provide a certain about of educational output, the SAN is cheap to make and contributes towards that requirement, so although the BBC 'could' for example stick an astronomy bit in to say the One Show once a month, I don't think it would really be the same.

Also, the SAN was one of the few chances scientists had to go on TV and actually discuss their science without it being dumbed down by some spotty presenter with spikey hair.

They may have done some filming for a few more SAN's so we may see a few more shows yet.

I'd say at the moment it's perhaps 50/50 the show staying on, Sir Patrick certainly wanted it to continue and I believe with Chris presenting.
    Forum Member
    I understand exactly what you mean, as this week we have for the third year in a row the three nightly Stargazing Live with Brian Cox. Of course there is a place for this kind of TV, and it will be enjoyable, but it did have aspects last time including the unwelcome inclusion of Jonathan Ross for no good reason, that diminished it. There is no need to "sex" astronomy up, but some would argue the mere appearance of Brian Cox has already done that single handedly. But he's okay in my book in small doses.

It's one of the things I hate about the modern BBC is how they feel the need to celeb everything these days.

If you make something interesting and informative people will watch it. You're right it doesn't need to be sexed up to sell it.

I just hope they get some decent weather this week, I felt quite sorry for the event last year with the village that arranged to turn all the lights off.
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    After watching The Sky At Night almost every month for the last 55 years, at the end of this, Sir Patrick Moore's final broadcast, I cried.

It felt rather like losing an old friend. :cry:

I know how you feel, I remember reading books on Astronomy when I was about 9 and getting my first telescope (it was rubbish) but it didn't matter.

The best way to celebrate Sir Patrick would be for the BBC to continue the show and do it as Sir Patrick did with a handshake (he never did contracts with the BBC)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see the show tonight I do wish the BBC could have mentioned it a bit more in either the news or as a trailer. I get the feeling in a way the BBC are glad to see the back of Sir Patrick.

According to Chris Lintott's twitter the Feb show is planned (some of the filming for it was probably done some time back) and will have Dr Lucie Green on as well.

I mention her as I suspect if the BBC did decide to keep the Sky at night going they may well want to 'BBCize' it with at least one regular female presenter and she'd be a good choice as she's often on the show anyway.

I don't think it needs a celeb presenter the current crew of Chris, Paul and Pete have held the fort for several years now.

I agree with some of the comments that the BBC may well look to kill it off, although I suspect they will run into a lot of resistance from the media, the likes of Brian Cox, Jonathan Ross, Brian May, Terry Pratchett could kick up quiet a fuss. Also, the BBC has to provide a certain about of educational output, the SAN is cheap to make and contributes towards that requirement, so although the BBC 'could' for example stick an astronomy bit in to say the One Show once a month, I don't think it would really be the same.

Also, the SAN was one of the few chances scientists had to go on TV and actually discuss their science without it being dumbed down by some spotty presenter with spikey hair.

They may have done some filming for a few more SAN's so we may see a few more shows yet.

I'd say at the moment it's perhaps 50/50 the show staying on, Sir Patrick certainly wanted it to continue and I believe with Chris presenting.

The Sky At Night has always been niche viewing but has a very, very loyal following. I am sure that a whole lot of amateur astronomy groups as well as individuals are likely to kick up a fuss and bombard the BEEB.
    TSAN is very cheap to produce, requires little in the way of complex, flashy graphics and production. Lintott, May, Cox, etc could write the script in 5 minutes flat. The BBC would be wise to remember that it is a public broadcasting channel and , as such, should cater for all .......20 minutes once a month is not much to ask
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,542
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »

He still tours - recently with Kerry Ellis and both of them are heavily involved with We Will Rock You their Queen musical. They do the auditioning and turn up to it for special dates.There's a global tour on this year of the musical.

On the other hand the linking bits might not take that long?

You would imagine the BBC would know better than to lose the show. However they have neglected science more and more as teh years have gone on with serious shows like Horizon becoming rare and the peak time shows vanishing. Channel 4 managed the heinous crime of scrapping TimeTeam and seem to have got away with it, so dumbing down seems in full flow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mention a female presenter and one who immediately springs to mind who used to have a higher profile a few years ago than nowadays is Heather Couper who I always found an engaging character who knew her stuff.

Another female who would tick two PC aspects for the BBC, being a woman, and black, not to mention very clever, and who I have discovered only relatively recently and enjoyed is Dr Maggie Aderin Pocock, who has presented some astronomy items, clearly qualified and would in no way be a token gesture, or case of positive discrimination.

Sir Patrick clearly looked like he had been training Chris Lintott for a number of years with a view to succeeding him, but for me I cannot see him as "the presenter".

Of course these are all busy people in their own right, and even if offered the chance might not want, or be able to take it up.