The Sky at Night - Monday 7 Jan 2013, BBC1

Comments

• elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he misunderstood. I think he was dodging questions he didn't want to answer and trying to steer the interview back onto subjects he was happier talking about.
    Absolutely! He understood perfectly but was dodging questions without being rude. He could have said "that's enough on that, move on".
    Maybe I`am an optimist at heart...but I genuinely can`t see the BBC ditching The Sky at Night...Cheap as chips to make and a loyal audience to boot...I also think the real powers that be within the BBC would`t want to drop a program which has been on our screens and associated with the Corporation for over 50yrs.
    I hope you're right. If they have any sense they'll be delighted to continue but it's odd and a bit worrying that they haven't rushed to assure everyone that they aren't going to trample on Sir Patrick's life's work by cancelling it. The kind of people who make decisions in the media world aren't like normal sensible people.
    The problem imo is finding someone to fill Sir Patrick's shoes...because when push comes to shove there is no one quite like Sir P....I think Brian May would be an ideal replacement but it would`t surprise me if his other commitments prevented him from following in Sir P foot steps....I`d be happy with Chris taking over the reins...Infact as long as his replacement has the required scientific credentials or is a keen and articulate amateur I`d be happy....Because lets face it, this is exactly what Sir P was when he first fronted the show.
    I still can't understand why anyone is thinking Brian May is a serious contender. He doesn't come over with the energy of a TV presenter needed, which all those ahead of him in the running (Chris Lintott, Peter Lawrence, Paul Abel and Chris North) have. I expect he could do it but not as well as them so why would he be asked? Are people who want him fans of his music? I see no other reason to put him before them.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Paul Abel was re-tweeting comments from people about keeping the existing SaN team together and him agreeing.

So from that I'd take it he's not be told anything one way or the other yet, it may be that no firm decision has been made and they will let the Feb show go out to by more time. But at some point soon they will have to start filming for the March show depending on what it might be about, unless that filming has already been done.

The BBC could of course simply say nothing and let the show just roll on with the existing team, it might be the BBC don't want to say anything yet with Patrick not long gone, having said that the interview did make it clear (as most knew) he wanted the show to go on and with Chris in charge.

Will they still do it from Farthings? Will they move to a studio, will they do the night sky stuff with Pete and Paul from Pete's house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I would love the Reithein broadcasting principles to come to the fore - educate, inform & entertain along with the unique Auntie BBC image. Make farthings a live museum which inspires the young & develop a purpose built studio in it to broadcast Sky at Night. Cheap & with a loyal following + those coming to it new.
    No other programme keeps us regularly up to speed with things astronomical & it is, as far as I know unique in the world of broadcasting.
    However, being somewhat long in the tooth I am suspect that bureacracy is at work & the grey suits don't think like that. It will be placed on the 'broadcasting pathway' if we are not careful.
    I wonder if the OU could have a role in it's preservation? There must be enough academics to support this.
    Any ideas anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

Will they still do it from Farthings? Will they move to a studio, will they do the night sky stuff with Pete and Paul from Pete's house?

Well they could do...as Brian May now owns the house.
    Forum Member
    Well they could do...as Brian May now owns the house.

The BBC only did it from his house because of ill health, it would be cheaper to use a studio like they used to.

The BBC have to make a decision soon as if they intend to film a show for March they need to plan what it's about.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he misunderstood. I think he was dodging questions he didn't want to answer and trying to steer the interview back onto subjects he was happier talking about.
    One in particular I was thinking about was about the moon landings where I think he was asked if he regretted them being cancelled, but instead answered that he thought it was the teachers' fault children didn't know about Apollo. But it was a clumsy question too. I'm sure there were others where he got a bit off track.
  • SorukSoruk Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    FYI: More filming next week, according to Dr Chris Lintott:

https://twitter.com/chrislintott/status/291070832711696384
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They surely cannot film in a studio, 50% of the sky at night is from a garden observatory?

Patrick clearly wanted Dr Lintott to take over as the main presenter, and thats good enough for me.

Just keep the main 4 together and carry on as usual- but please avoid Cox and Dara at all costs.
    Forum Member
    Jon Culshaw was on Sky News this morning and the presenter asked him about the Sky at Night. Culshaw said that he was going to be a bit more involved but that the current team would be carrying on with the show.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Jon Culshaw though as he knows all the sort of stuff.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    They surely cannot film in a studio, 50% of the sky at night is from a garden observatory?
    It would be nice but it was only done from Selsey since Sir Patrick became too frail to travel. It could revert to being studio based and go to someone outside (whether 'live' or recorded) for observation bits. With the magic of television, It doesn't have to be someone only a few metres away.
    Patrick clearly wanted Dr Lintott to take over as the main presenter, and thats good enough for me.

Just keep the main 4 together and carry on as usual
    Yes, makes sense.
    but please avoid Cox and Dara at all costs.
    There's not too much danger of them getting mixed that's a different programme on for a few consecutive nights a year. Assuming both programmes are sufficiently popular from viewing figures or cheap enough and justified by public service broadcasting remit.

Has there still been no proper announcement or have I missed it? If not what are they playing at? I despair at the lack of respect TV people have for the public. Surely the viewers deserve better than twitter posts or mention on another broadcaster's chat show!
    Forum Member
    It looks like the Sky at Night will just carry on as before but with Chris as the main presenter. Filming for the Feb show is underway and also March show will have Lucie Green on talking about the Sun. Paul Abel has tweeted that it's going to be the same team doing the shows. Sounds good to me.

Lucie Green and Helen Czerski are also doing a BBC programme to be shown in March on the Sun, but why do they have to stick Kate Humble on as well?
  • SorukSoruk Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Next episode is to be shown on BBC1 on Feb 3rd at 23:55 in England and NI, and Feb 4th at 00:35 in Wales, and 00:45 in Scotland.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the Sky at Night will just carry on as before but with Chris as the main presenter. Filming for the Feb show is underway and also March show will have Lucie Green on talking about the Sun. Paul Abel has tweeted that it's going to be the same team doing the shows. Sounds good to me.

Lucie Green and Helen Czerski are also doing a BBC programme to be shown in March on the Sun, but why do they have to stick Kate Humble on as well?

Good to hear.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All good news if its back nice of the Beeb to let us know!
    Forum Member
    It's possible the BBC didn't need to feel the need to say anything as they always intended the current team to carry the show on

or

They will let the show run for a few episodes to see what's what and how Chris works out as the main presenter before deciding if they want to bring in someone else.
    Forum Member
    According to one of the production crew the Sky at Night has a new base at BBC Bristol now
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Sunday 3rd February
    BBC1
    11:55pm
    Dr Chris Lintott
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    Soruk wrote: »
    FYI: More filming next week, according to Dr Chris Lintott:

https://twitter.com/chrislintott/status/291070832711696384

Just keep the main 4 together and carry on as usual- but please avoid Cox and Dara at all costs.
    Jon Culshaw was on Sky News this morning and the presenter asked him about the Sky at Night. Culshaw said that he was going to be a bit more involved but that the current team would be carrying on with the show.
    johnloony wrote: »
    Sunday 3rd February
    BBC1
    Dr Chris Lintott

This is all good and welcome news and I await to see where it'll be filmed. Presumably if they go into a studio, they'll still have to have the observing bit in someone's garden. Good to hear that Jon Culshaw's going to be involved too since he has a genuine interest in astronomy.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The February edition seems to mostly be mostly from the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't mind Brian but I can very easily do without Dara!
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    Sunday 3rd February
    BBC1
    Dr Chris Lintott
    The Sun King

Duration: 20 minutes

The sun is the monarch of the Solar System, but where does its kingdom end? At the furthest outposts, the two Voyager spacecraft are having a surprisingly turbulent time as they leave the sun's realm.

The team are at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, to see how the sun affects our planet. Solar physicist Dr Lucie Green joins them to enjoy the observatory's historic telescopes, which are still being used to gaze at the night sky.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qhlhq

That would seem to indicate that the other regulars, the two Chrises, Peter and Paul will be involved in the programme. I'm waiting to see if they do any filming from Farthings or in a BBC studio.
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qhlhq

That would seem to indicate that the other regulars, the two Chrises, Peter and Paul will be involved in the programme. I'm waiting to see if they do any filming from Farthings or in a BBC studio.

Paul Abel has already said the show is going on with the regular team. I posted that they've now moved to BBC Bristol, so I don't know if that means they will be presenting from there in the future, but that probably means they will use the facilities there to produce the show.
    Forum Member
    Paul Abel has already said the show is going on with the regular team. I posted that they've now moved to BBC Bristol, so I don't know if that means they will be presenting from there in the future, but that probably means they will use the facilities there to produce the show.

I used to work not too far from the BBC Bristol premises in Whiteladies Road. It is a large, brightly lit urban area but the local astronomical society does have an observatory to the south of Bristol. I look forward to seeing where Pete and Paul will do their outdoor observing guide.
    Forum Member
    I used to work not too far from the BBC Bristol premises in Whiteladies Road. It is a large, brightly lit urban area but the local astronomical society does have an observatory to the south of Bristol. I look forward to seeing where Pete and Paul will do their outdoor observing guide.

They will do it from where they need to, I suspect they will use the studios for studio stuff like Patrick did for years