NBCUniversal

LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

So what channels do these guys own/have a part in here? Obviously Universal and CNBC but what else?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LARulz wrote: »
    Hi all,

So what channels do these guys own/have a part in here? Obviously Universal and CNBC but what else?

SyFy
    E!
    Movies 24
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTsky wrote: »
    SyFy
    E!
    Movies 24

Thanks. They obviously have a lot of programs on different channels, are they not allowed it to show them on their channels too? For example I'm thinking Friends (they have some rights for I assume), why didn't they just keep it for their channels and boost figures?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. They obviously have a lot of programs on different channels, are they not allowed it to show them on their channels too? For example I'm thinking Friends (they have some rights for I assume), why didn't they just keep it for their channels and boost figures?

Cause it obviously works out cheaper to sell the rights, and also a lot of content like Friend, Parks and Rec etc wouldn't fit onto any of their existing channels.

Universal - Drama, Crime, Police Drama
    SyFy - Science Fiction
    E! - Celebrity
    Movies 24 - Movies
    CNBC - Business News (and for some reason The Tonight Show)
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Cause it obviously works out cheaper to sell the rights, and also a lot of content like Friend, Parks and Rec etc wouldn't fit onto any of their existing channels.

SyFy - Science Fiction
    E! - Celebrity
    Movies 24 - Movies

OK. I can imagine them still being able to sell Friends for example for a fortune. But some shows that didn't get a chance here before could have been shown. Parks and Rec as you say before it got put on BBC4.

I guess if you break it down like that they are place it on their current channels unless they make Universal a bit more dynamic with its content.

I may have more questions but I can't think of them now :p
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

SyFy - Science Fiction
    E! - Celebrity
    Movies 24 - Movies

CNBC shows the Tonight Show because NBC Superchannel in the 90s used to show Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien and when Superchannel closed down CNBC took those shows. I guess they are out of place on a business channel, but the time of night they are shown is a quiet time for business. The US markets are closed and the Asian ones are not yet open.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about CBS and ABC1 until a few years ago?
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Friends was made by Warner Bros and picked up by NBC.

The problem with these channels is that the same programming gets passed to one channel from another. Plus, SyFy is showing a lot of non-science fiction programming like Rambo, which other than Stallone could possibly pass as an alien, is confusing why they would show a film like this.

NBC Universal need to give their channels a re-think and broaden their playlists.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about CBS and ABC1 until a few years ago?

ABC1 was a Disney owned channel. :)

CBS I think was part of the Chello group. Not sure who runs it now.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    CBS I think was part of the Chello group. Not sure who runs it now.

Chellozone was sold to AMC, not sure where that leaves CBS Studios International, who is part of the venture for the UK & Europe channels.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do sometimes wonder if The Tonight Show would be better on E! rather than CNBC as they are both owned by NBCUniversal. But it's been on CNBC for so May years now it sort of just feels right!

NBCUniversal also used to own a The Style Network but that closed in the UK at the end of last 2013.
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I do sometimes wonder if The Tonight Show would be better on E! rather than CNBC

Good call, and we'd get it in HD too that way, instead of stretchy-vision!
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking they also own Nickelodeon and Comedy Central... As well as all the MTV channels?
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking they also own Nickelodeon and Comedy Central... As well as all the MTV channels?

No.

Nickelodeon is owned by Viacom and BSkyB.
    Comedy Central is owned by Paramount and BSkyB.
    MTV is owned by Viacom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I do sometimes wonder if The Tonight Show would be better on E! rather than CNBC as they are both owned by NBCUniversal. But it's been on CNBC for so May years now it sort of just feels right!
    Agreed, it would be better suited on any other channel - Comedy Central perhaps?

I believe those all come under the Viacom umbrella.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Viacom own MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central (plus BET and Asian channels Colors and Rishtey)
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viacom own MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central.

As per my post above, not Comedy Central, that's owned by Paramount and BSkyB.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    Friends was made by Warner Bros and picked up by NBC.

The problem with these channels is that the same programming gets passed to one channel from another. Plus, SyFy is showing a lot of non-science fiction programming like Rambo, which other than Stallone could possibly pass as an alien, is confusing why they would show a film like this.

NBC Universal need to give their channels a re-think and broaden their playlists.

This is the reason they re-branded from Sci-fi to Syfy so they could show other genres, not sure if it still does but I know the US Syfy has shown Wrestling.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    As per my post above, not Comedy Central, that's owned by Paramount and BSkyB.

Technically true, but Paramount is part of Viacom and has the majority share in the channel (75%). It's also based at the MTV building in Camden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Good call, and we'd get it in HD too that way, instead of stretchy-vision!

No more stretchy vision, CNBC went widescreen this morning!
    Forum Member

Took them long enough!!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

They should have done that a few years ago! When I first got a flat screen TV I had to change the settings on the telly just to see the ticker :( When I first started watching it in 2006 (I was only 16 :p) I still had a CRT so I didn't really take much notice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does that mean no more feeling like we're watching the Tonight Show on a ViewMaster? ;)

Woo Hoo! :D
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Chellozone was sold to AMC, not sure where that leaves CBS Studios International, who is part of the venture for the UK & Europe channels.
    Liberty Global's 70% stake in ChelloZone was sold to AMC; CBS still retains its 30% stake in the venture and the channels that were prefixed CBS remain so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure if it was all of the CNBC programs but The Tonight Show and Nightly News were widescreen on Friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Liberty Global's 70% stake in ChelloZone was sold to AMC; CBS still retains its 30% stake in the venture and the channels that were prefixed CBS remain so.

To make it a little more understandable, Liberty Globals ChelloZone which holds a 70% stake in the channels was sold to AMC. 30% of the channels are still CBS.

You wrote it as if 70% of ChelloZone was sold to AMC.