Almost half a million pounds for a one bedroom home just 99" wide!

kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
Forum Member
Utter madness! Up here, that kind of money would get you a five / six bedroom detached executive home with loads of land.

Glad I don't live anywhere near London. :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2636019/Breathe-Londons-skinniest-home-just-99-inches-wide-sale-450-000-Denmark-Hill.html

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emperor's New Clothes sh*te, innit?
    Looks okay inside but I wouldn't want to spend my days walking back and forth through a tunnel.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Who on Earth is going to fork out that sort of money for it?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, but it's 'bijoux', darlink! :D

Must-have des-res for people with more money than sense.
    Unless you're claustrophobic. Might be a bit of an issue, there!

Bah, humbug and all that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Looks nice inside but not for half a million!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see they have a LibDem poster in the window, confirming their insanity.

I was going to post a link for the 300sqft "studio house" (ex coal merchant's office) that was up for £300K in our High St, but I see it's sold. :o
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Given that people were tripping over each other in their rush to bid on a Knightsbridge flat which used to be a janitor's closet, I doubt they'll have problems finding candidates.

Thing is, there's always going to be rich people who just want a handy place to have their UK mail sent to, and to have somewhere to put people up when they're visiting London so they'll be happy to buy a place like that.

FWIW, my SIL used to live in a house a bit like the one in the article.
    It actually wasn't that bad. Kinda like living on a narrowboat or summat; you just have to figure out how to make the best of the available space.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member

Believe me, somebody will.

House prices in London are mental.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh. I've been in a similar house. A cottage up north, near the Lake District. Sandwiched between two cottages. About 20 feet wide and very low ceilings, approx. 5' 11" feet high. Only four rooms - two downstairs and two upstairs. I couldn't stand it after an hour or so.

Edit: I think it's actually narrower. About 18 feet wide? I need a ruler.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have that then a similar sized flat.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice enough though the living room if yu can call it that, more like a long hall, is much too narrow and a definite downside and the garden is a bit useless though can be worked on. Youre paying for the location mostly.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i love it. i`ve just mentally furnished and decorated it, trust me, looks fab.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Get ready for the bubble to burst.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Get ready for the bubble to burst.

It's only just started. The London property bubble hasn't burst for a long, long time and no evidence that it will ever again.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather have that then a similar sized flat.

Its freehold, so thats got to be good, and no dodgy management company to stiff you with maintanace fees.
    Wonder why they only went to 2 floors when the house its attached to has 3?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    i love it. i`ve just mentally furnished and decorated it, trust me, looks fab.

Have you got any money left for furnishings and decorating?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only just started. The London property bubble hasn't burst for a long, long time and no evidence that it will ever again.

Depends if you call 5 years "a very. very long time".

My neighbourhood has increased by 30-35% in twelve months.

How sustainable do you think that is? "No evidence" it will ever bust again? How about prices rising at 10 times that of incomes? :confused:

My house is going on the market in 2 weeks time, will sell in an hour, and fetch 70% more than I paid for it 8 years ago. As will every other house in the area I want to buy, so it has done me no favours whatsoever. Just means I have to spend a ludicrous amount of my income on a home when it could be spent in the real economy.

It's utter madness, but it's what we have.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

How sustainable do you think that is? "No evidence" it will ever bust again? How about prices rising at 10 times that of incomes? :confused:

My house is going on the market in 2 weeks time, will sell in an hour, and fetch 70% more than I paid for it 8 years ago. As will every other house in the area I want to buy, so it has done me no favours whatsoever. Just means I have to spend a ludicrous amount of my income on a home when it could be spent in the real economy.

Yes, the only way people benefit would be to sell up and move outside London, then you would cash in on these London price rises.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    How about a nice tropical island, for less than a 2 bed flat in London?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/7-private-islands-that-cost-less-than-a-flat-in-london
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    How about a nice tropical island, for less than a 2 bed flat in London?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/7-private-islands-that-cost-less-than-a-flat-in-london

Bit of a commute to your job in the City though isn't it?
    Forum Member
    One has to ask oneself why very little to bugger all housebuilding is going on in London? Couldn't possibly be because the wealthy are minting it by ensuring there is always a property scarcity in London?
    The current penchant for 'refurbishing 'council houses and never allowing the the council tenants to move back in and then selling the 'refurbished' flats to anyone with the readies, should be a clue...
    Forum Member
    There are 3 detached houses just been built in a village close to some friends of mine, they have a tiny back garden, no front garden, so the front can be used to 2 parking spaces,there is no driveway, no garage just a house with an alleyway to get to the back.4 bedrooms, the master being in the attic space.

£485,000 x 1.
    £465,000 x 2.

This village is about 45 miles from the outskirts of London.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Have you got any money left for furnishings and decorating?

i`m a skipqueen. :D:D
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    You'd have to pay me to live in Denmark Hill.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

why move then
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member

Perhaps the owner will decide to rent it out to someone on benefits, but they might not get any takers as they wouldn't be able to fit their 150" plasma in it:D