What happens to numbers that are ported over?

Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
Forum Member
✭✭
What happens if you have ported say an O2 number over to Virgin and you close your account will the number be given back to O2 or will it be used in a few years time as a virgin number again?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be a supervisor for orange customer service, and what we were lead to beleve was that the original network still owns the number when a number is ported, dont knoe if this is still the case but hopefully you may get an answer from someone still in the industry

Daz

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a related question to the one above. Not an important question, just something I wondered about :)

When a ported number is called, what exactly happens?

If, for example, a BT landline was used to call an O2 number that had been ported to 3, would BTs exchange/switch first try connecting to O2, then O2 would divert the call over to 3?

Or would the BT switch have a comprehensive list of all numbers that had been transferred to other networks?

Similarly, how are text messages sent to a ported number dealt with?

Dan
  • WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote:
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a related question to the one above. Not an important question, just something I wondered about :)

When a ported number is called, what exactly happens?

If, for example, a BT landline was used to call an O2 number that had been ported to 3, would BTs exchange/switch first try connecting to O2, then O2 would divert the call over to 3?

Or would the BT switch have a comprehensive list of all numbers that had been transferred to other networks?

Similarly, how are text messages sent to a ported number dealt with?

Dan

Well I don't have the answer, but I must admit it is something I have also wondered about.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't have the answer, but I must admit it is something I have also wondered about.

Well i have an ex O2 online number 07746 and it's now on Virgin and have been wondering about this lately, it's actually strange how it can work, i hope that someone on here has an answer to my first question :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long is it until numbers are used again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diggory wrote:

Thanks, so it's a 6 month quarantine period then.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a problem receiving MMS on my O2 phone which had its numbers ported from Virgin.

I called customer service and they said the problem was that it goes to the Virgin / T-mobile system first and then gets routed to me, causing a delay.

However, the way that calls work could be completely different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a problem receiving MMS on my O2 phone which had its numbers ported from Virgin.

I called customer service and they said the problem was that it goes to the Virgin / T-mobile system first and then gets routed to me, causing a delay.

However, the way that calls work could be completely different.

Well soon i will have a brand new virgin number (currently got ported o2 number on virgin) and when MMS comes out i shouldn't have any delays then.