The Final 12 - WTF? *Massive Spoiler Alert*

Comments

• PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galena wrote: »
    Interesting that Simon seemed to be hinting at something like that after Lily performed that she might not have done enough - I wonder if she hasn't been doing so well in the voting as might have been thought? I think she was overrated by the judges but I certainly thought she added more to the show that say Katie or Paige ...

I think that is probably the case. On the few polls i've seen she's no-where near the top, In one only Lacey was below her.

I don't agree that she added more to the show though. Crystal does what Lily does but better so what would be the point in Lily being there too? Lily being there would probably just hinder Crystal because some of the votes would be split.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And personally, I think Lacey Brown has one of the most beautiful voices of the girls, and I cant fault any of her three performances. I was always baffled by the judges comments about her, especially her Kiss me song. SO I am sure there are loads of people who felt the same.
  • River ManRiver Man Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very pleased Lilly has gone and can't butcher anymore songs.
    She asked at the end what more she could have done.
    Nothing. You gave us all your ridiculous vocal quirks and people saw them for the nonsense that they were.

I'm despondent that Alex went.
    The only decent male in the competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If youre shocked now, wait until the top 12. I predict you will see a lot of surprises, with guys like Tim Urban and Aaron Kelly, going through over some of the much better singers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ama2k9 wrote: »
    THey wouldve reacted like that, no matter who is eliminated. Their reaction was the same with Haeley vaughn leaving. They are all friends, so the reaction is normal, but its not like they think she deserves it mote than others.

As for her performances, I thought Katelyn shouldve been gone last week, along with Didi. But she survived, and didnt step up to stand out. I found nothing special in any of her Live shows performances, and not everyone watches Hollywood week. That being said, I can say the same thing about Katie Stevens. SO like I said, I suspect, it was close between them.

Paige wasnt great with Smile, but I thought she was OK, and was very good the 2 weeks before, and I think she deserves to be in.

But Lili is a shocker, at this stage of the competition, I didnt think she would go, in a million years, even with Crystal around. I can only blame it on voters thinking she was safe.

I'm surprised you can say Katelyn deserved to go last week given she performed what pretty much every analyst I've read (MJ, Michael Slezak, Foxes on Idol etc) agreed that her version of The Scientist was awesome.

Also, and this isn't aimed at your post but Lilly and Crystal are really not that similar IMO, very different voices. I saw Crystal as more of the folky singer where as Lilly is pretty indie....

Anyway this season is worth watching now purely for Siobhan, Crystal, Didi, Lee and Casey.

I may not bother watching Lacey, Paige, Katie, Aaron or Tim's performances next week. None of them deserve to be on the tour TBH...

Also look at Crystal's face throughout the whole programme after Katelyn goes she looks pissed, after Alex goes she looks even more upset, and then when Lilly goes it just intensifies. She knows that there's no justice in those eliminations...

Even the contestants who made it through know it, according to Jim from MTV when he was at the aftershow party there was a real sense that some of them knew damn well that they shoudln't be in the top 12.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    If youre shocked now, wait until the top 12. I predict you will see a lot of surprises, with guys like Tim Urban and Aaron Kelly, going through over some of the much better singers.

I've no doubt, between them they seem to grabbed have the tween/teen and granny vote sadly :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FleetSeb wrote: »
    I'm surprised you can say Katelyn deserved to go last week given she performed what pretty much every analyst I've read (MJ, Michael Slezak, Foxes on Idol etc) agreed that her version of The Scientist was awesome.

Also, and this isn't aimed at your post but Lilly and Crystal are really not that similar IMO, very different voices. I saw Crystal as more of the folky singer where as Lilly is pretty indie....

Anyway this season is worth watching now purely for Siobhan, Crystal, Didi, Lee and Casey.

I may not bother watching Lacey, Paige, Katie, Aaron or Tim's performances next week. None of them deserve to be on the tour TBH...

Also look at Crystal's face throughout the whole programme after Katelyn goes she looks pissed, after Alex goes she looks even more upset, and then when Lilly goes it just intensifies. She knows that there's no justice in those eliminations...

Even the contestants who made it through know it, according to Jim from MTV when he was at the aftershow party there was a real sense that some of them knew damn well that they shoudln't be in the top 12.

Crystal looked sicked to me! Not pissed! Even after she was put through, walking towards the stool, she looked like she wasnt feeling well. If you recall, after her performance, she sat down on her speaker to listen to the judges comments, which I thought meant she was still quite ill.

And like I said, I am sure some of them felt weird being put through and seeing Lilly get eliminated. Katie is probably surprised given the judges comments. But other than for Lilly, for me the other 3 had nothing special that would make me feel outraged that they are gone. Granted, it couldve been a number of the guys, and a number of the other girls going as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the live feed last night and was very surprised at most of the eliminations

For me, judging on the performances we've seen so far, this is the worst top 12 ever on AI

Very little diversity .. the prop department are going to have to provide an abundance of stools and guitars as it seems we are going to get a country/ballad overload .. it will be interesting when the theme weeks start as I reckon they will all be after singing the same song as most of them have a similar style

I was hoping for some more upbeat fun performers and rockers but it seems that it's going to be a soooozfest with a lot of angst mixed with tweens singing old songs that are way too big for them or too cheesy
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    You only have to look at the results of last years final to know the american public do not vote based on who sung the best.
    Sadly they have got things badly wrong again and it looks like we are in for one of the worst seasons ever. Aaron and Tim should definately have gone before Alex, and Katie and Paige should have gone instead of Lilly and Katelynn.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex should have easily been the top guy in this series.
    Not bothered about the girls, Katelyn was overrated (on here anyways) and Lilly wasn't that good on her night.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a competition viewpoint its really bad. Because we could have had a great and interesting top-12 if Alex, Katelyn, and Lily had been included.:(

Now we have a few too many of pointless filler people who obviously can't win or even sing that well.

Annoying.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crystal looked sicked to me! Not pissed! Even after she was put through, walking towards the stool, she looked like she wasnt feeling well. If you recall, after her performance, she sat down on her speaker to listen to the judges comments, which I thought meant she was still quite ill.

I'm not convinced it was just illness,

These quotes are from an article of a guy in the audience who writes for EW...

"It would have been heart-rending enough with Katelyn, Todrick, and Alex going home, but then Ryan announced that Lilly Scott's distinctive, clear-haired stylings had lost to Katie Stevens’s robotic teenage competence, and it was just too much for some of the contestants to bear — especially Crystal and Siobhan. Maybe it has to do with the fact that by all appearances, both women have barely watched past seasons of Idol, and aren’t well versed in the particularly cruel nature and staging of the eliminations. Or maybe it’s because they were far closer with the eliminated contestants than the ones who’ve lived to warble another day. Regardless of the reason, both women simply could not stop crying, even as Debbie gathered them for their first official photo shoot as the Idol Top 12. “Makeup!” exclaimed Debbie. “We need some kleenex for a pretty picture. Bad time to take one.” Siobhan more-or-less pulled it together after some hug love from Tim and Didi, but Crystal was still sobbing into Lee Dewyze’s shoulder as the photographer began taking light readings. “Happiest you can be, guys,” Debbie said somberly. Crystal could only manage to wanly tighten her lips."

I don't think Crystal would have been sobbing if she was just ill. But just my opinion.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Gutted Lilly's gone. I would have loved to see which Stones song she'd have picked and how she'd have interpreted it. Hate to think what Paige and Katie will do :mad:

I thought the American voters had more nouse than ours but it seems not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that 'pleases' (for want of a better word) me is on all the US sites, all the comments show a lot of anger at the results - at least they know they messed up in the voting...

Someone pointed out that Ryan didn't announce the vote totals. Maybe there weren't that many votes because people don't care this season and so it allowed the likes of Paige, Lacey, Katie, Aaron and Tim to slip through...
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    FleetSeb wrote: »
    I'm not convinced it was just illness,

These quotes are from an article of a guy in the audience who writes for EW...

"It would have been heart-rending enough with Katelyn, Todrick, and Alex going home, but then Ryan announced that Lilly Scott's distinctive, clear-haired stylings had lost to Katie Stevens’s robotic teenage competence, and it was just too much for some of the contestants to bear — especially Crystal and Siobhan. Maybe it has to do with the fact that by all appearances, both women have barely watched past seasons of Idol, and aren’t well versed in the particularly cruel nature and staging of the eliminations. Or maybe it’s because they were far closer with the eliminated contestants than the ones who’ve lived to warble another day. Regardless of the reason, both women simply could not stop crying, even as Debbie gathered them for their first official photo shoot as the Idol Top 12. “Makeup!” exclaimed Debbie. “We need some kleenex for a pretty picture. Bad time to take one.” Siobhan more-or-less pulled it together after some hug love from Tim and Didi, but Crystal was still sobbing into Lee Dewyze’s shoulder as the photographer began taking light readings. “Happiest you can be, guys,” Debbie said somberly. Crystal could only manage to wanly tighten her lips."

I don't think Crystal would have been sobbing if she was just ill. But just my opinion.

I noticed during Hollywood week Crystal, Katelyn and Lilly were pretty much always together, they seem to have formed a close bond - I think it really hit her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So gutted about Alex, he has something special and just needed to work on his confidence. I honestly thought he was in the top 2 guys vocals wise. There goes my favourite :(

And Katelyn, she was slowly becoming my favourite girl!

Lilly and Todrick I liked too.

Worst season for me based on the lineup now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member

I noticed this as well... Crystal looks very unwell to me.

I'm gutted about Lilly:(

Also, Paige looks embarrassed to be in the top 12 (and rightly so, IMO). I can't bear Katie either.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cuppa_Tea wrote: »
    Really disappointed Alex didn't make it :(

I'm not too bothered about the others.

Yeh - same here. I thought Alex had a gorgeous voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am absolutely shocked by that result, how two singers as talented as Alex and Lilly couldn't even reach the final 12 when there are non-entities like Tim, Katie and Aaron (to name the worst offenders) still in just amazes me :mad:

Mind you after last year's triumph of the ultimate Mr Bland I reckon the American voters are losing the plot
  • Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aargh, SO gutted about Lilly. Siobhan was fairly unmemorable for me based on her semi-final performances, but she still sang heaps better than Paige and bloody Katie.

This Idol series just got 30% less interesting for me. :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Todrick and Alex were two of the best of the guys so I'm disappointed to see them go. Todrick seemed to put more effort into entertaining people than any of the others did, and Alex had a really good tone and I think he would get better every week. Actually I think they may have been my two favourite guys overall; Michael's the only other guy I rate on the show, but I don't like how he comes across - a bit arrogant and smug. And all the other guys are absolutely rubbish. Would've liked to have seen some of the deadwood go instead (Casey, Lee, Andrew). I've been slating the guys for a couple of weeks now, but this week, just as I start to find a couple of them interesting, they get cut!

Katelyn and Lily were OK, but nothing special. I did really like Katelyn's performance last week though. Lily had one OK performance and seemed to always try too hard to be "quirky". Paige and Katie should definitely have been the ones to go though.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked Todrick, I thought he had the ability to do some good performances.

Already I think the final three could be Casey, Big Mike and Crystal, but you often get some shocks along the way.
  • TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey folks!

Long time lurker here......
    I'm really surprised by the results tonight.

I thought Katie and Paige were definates to go. Paige has a really good voice but was goddam awful with that 'smile' song, she is very lucky that she has another chance to show the public what it is that makes Simon believe she has the best voice...
    Katie being saved over Lilly is just :confused:
    The wrong two guys went too. Should have been Aaron and Andrew imo.
    Will be interesting what songs they all end up choosing for Stones week.......
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    N X M wrote: »
    Am absolutely shocked by that result, how two singers as talented as Alex and Lilly couldn't even reach the final 12 when there are non-entities like Tim, Katie and Aaron (to name the worst offenders) still in just amazes me :mad:

Mind you after last year's triumph of the ultimate Mr Bland I reckon the American voters are losing the plot

America wants a winner who looks like they could star in the Brady Bunch and has good christian values, not someone with an amazing voice or a distinctive personality. At this rate I woudn't be surprised if Tim Urban or Aaron Kelly win this year.
  • caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    Well yeah..
    I'd say that Alex was thrown under the bus to save Tim NonThreateningToGilrsTalentWiseButTeenBait: death spot + lukewarm comments + sandwiched between two competitors in terms of vocal tone and teen appeal.
    I am concerned for Siobhan because she got a similar treatment with death spot + bad comments from Simon + him constantly repeting that others were the best so far... She is a threat to Crystal isn't she.. :eek:

Exactly what I thought, except I don't think it was to save Tim, it was because Alex could be a threat down the line, he was getting a lot of good feedback.
    Same for Siobhan sadly.
    I also think Didi is the chosen one not Crystal.
    Whatever it's way too early to be throwing good contestants under the bus, they're few enough as it is.

I agree with people saying Crystal looked unwell, and it gets so much harder as it goes on, they are all exhausted by the end, she's going to struggle.

All in all this series is pretty much a goner for me now. :(