Overpayment of salary

13»

Comments

• MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain that you intend to settle the debt by working the relevant hours off at the rate of 1 hour per weekend until the debt is settled and that you trust that this will be satisfactory.

It would be a pension/holiday/administrative nightmare for them.

It's not ideal for any debt recovery company either, as you will have made a clear and reasonable offer to settle the debt in the way that it arose.
    I'm not convinced that an offer to 'work off' a debt would be considered to be 'reasonable'. I wouldn't be happy with it if someone owed me money.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Migster wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that an offer to 'work off' a debt would be considered to be 'reasonable'. I wouldn't be happy with it if someone owed me money.

The original "currency" was holiday hours that had been converted to a cash equivalent...

It's only fair - if it had been calculated correctly and presented to the OP in a clear fashion - it's possible that he would have chosen to work the hours rather than be in debt.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The original "currency" was holiday hours that had been converted to a cash equivalent...

It's only fair - if it had been calculated correctly and presented to the OP in a clear fashion - it's possible that he would have chosen to work the hours rather than be in debt.

It is the same system that nearly all employers in the uk use, in a year you get so many days, OP used his years allowance then left before he had earned them.

Theres nothing wrong with the system, no one other that the OP made a mistake.

As i said earlier, if this system wasnt in place then no-one employed anywhere could book holidays, as the employer wouldnt let you take any more holidays than you had accrued.

Theres an element of trust given to the employee by the employer, they trust that the employee wont use up all their holidays then leave before accruing them, if we are to say that system is wrong then we go down the road of no-one being allowed to book holidays in advance unless they are already accrued.

The holiday system is quite simple, OP should have looked into it to before using holidays he would never accrue.

If is his fault and no-one elses, he owes the company money and should pay up or face legal action.

Not to mention refusing to pay effectively means he stole from a former employer, hope he doesnt want a reference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is considered "fair" by anyone doesn't come into it as there are laws in place which deal with this very issue and those laws say that he must pay back the money, not work in lieu of it.

He could offer to work, give them his TV or pay in Smarties but the law still says that he has to pay them back the money!
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Not neccesarily. They have a huge legal department - but even then a junior admin clerk would take five minutes to fill out a claim on line - £25 - which they would recover from the debtor if it was found that he owed the money.

They would have a right to recover the expenses - whether they can actually extract the debt and expenses from the debtor is another matter, and involves further time and money.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    They would have a right to recover the expenses - whether they can actually extract the debt and expenses from the debtor is another matter, and involves further time and money.

Another 5 minutes filling in the form £100 (also recoverable) for the bailiff to turn up on the doorstep demanding £181 (original fee plus court and bailiff) or goods to the value.