2014 Classic Series DVD Releases

Comments

• TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Dr2Pat wrote: »
    The Moonbase DVD now up for preorder on BBC Shop.
    Unless it's a mistake, it looks like it also has a new, earlier release date, 6th January. :)
    Link

have checked amazon but it isn't on there yet, will wait to see how much they are charging for it
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »
    I called Best Buy in Canada and they told me they can not ship to the US! SIGH!! but they have 15 back In stock! Why can't the US make it available like Canada??

Hmmm... I may have to look up my friends in Canada. :):):)
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it's a mistake, it looks like it also has a new, earlier release date, 6th January. :)
    Link

Use promo code DOCTOR for 20 percent off. £11.19. :)
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link

it looks like time of the doctor and the matt smith specials boxset will be released on the 13th january so perhaps they want to get the moonbase out of the way :)

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8747-doctor-who-matt-smiths-specials-boxset-announced
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excluding the rumoured finds just got underwater menace to pay for. Yipee.
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    it looks like time of the doctor and the matt smith specials boxset will be released on the 13th january so perhaps they want to get the moonbase out of the way :)

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8747-doctor-who-matt-smiths-specials-boxset-announced

If this turns out to be true then the BBC will have really p***ed me of yet again.

I don't want to pay £25 just for Time of the Doctor. I already have the other specials on BluRay including the Day of the Doctor, which has only just been bloody released.

They did the same at the end of Tennants era. I already had The Next Doctor on DVD and Planet of the Dead on BluRay, but I had to 're-purchase' those just to get Waters of Mars and End of Time.

I had to re-buy the Aztecs just to get Galaxy 4.
    And I had to re-buy Spearhead from Space just to get Auton Invasion.

I really hope that they will release a stand-alone BluRay of Time of the Doctor, but the past behavior of the BBC doesn't offer any hope. After all, why release one special when you can get people to buy what they already have and charge them double the money for the pleasure?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    If this turns out to be true then the BBC will have really p***ed me of yet again.

I don't want to pay £25 just for Time of the Doctor. I already have the other specials on BluRay including the Day of the Doctor, which has only just been bloody released.

They did the same at the end of Tennants era. I already had The Next Doctor on DVD and Planet of the Dead on BluRay, but I had to 're-purchase' those just to get Waters of Mars and End of Time.

I had to re-buy the Aztecs just to get Galaxy 4.
    And I had to re-buy Spearhead from Space just to get Auton Invasion.

I really hope that they will release a stand-alone BluRay of Time of the Doctor, but the past behavior of the BBC doesn't offer any hope. After all, why release one special when you can get people to buy what they already have and charge them double the money for the pleasure?

Surely it was better to get airlock as an extra with other extras and Aztecs with improved picture quality for about 13 quid instead of paying about 13 quid for airlock on its own. Also surely it was better value for money to get 2 stories with new extras and new restoration for about 18 quid than paying 13 quid for 1 story with extras .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Surely it was better to get airlock as an extra with other extras and Aztecs with improved picture quality for about 13 quid instead of paying about 13 quid for airlock on its own. Also surely it was better value for money to get 2 stories with new extras and new restoration for about 18 quid than paying 13 quid for 1 story with extras .

I never bother with the 'special' editions, so no I'd rather have paid £13 for the story I wanted than £18.

The Tennant specials boxset contained what I already had without any new extras. The Next Doctor wasn't filmed in HD so was only upscaled anyway.

The Day of the Doctor has only just been released on BluRay, why should I have to pay for it again, just because I want The Time of the Doctor just one month later? I mean £25 for one 60 minute special!!!

As I said, I hope there will also be a single Time of the Doctor release, but I doubt it, as if they released both who is going to buy the boxset? Nobody.
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never bother with the 'special' editions, so no I'd rather have paid £13 for the story I wanted than £18.

The Tennant specials boxset contained what I already had without any new extras. The Next Doctor wasn't filmed in HD so was only upscaled anyway.

The Day of the Doctor has only just been released on BluRay, why should I have to pay for it again, just because I want The Time of the Doctor just one month later? I mean £25 for one 60 minute special!!!

As I said, I hope there will also be a single Time of the Doctor release, but I doubt it, as if they released both who is going to buy the boxset? Nobody.

I am pretty sure this boxset will include the time of the doctor, the name of the doctor, an adventure in space and time and pretty much all the special stuff that's been going on for the last few months.
    Good job i held off from buying the day of the doctor and an adventure in space and time.

Also, i have been saying for months that this will happen! Glad to see i was actually right!
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Aye - I held off on DotD and AAISAT purely because the Beeb's history made it seriously inevitable that such a boxset would be announced. I'm amazed that people are surprised, tbh.

That said, I did expect a vanilla TotD release as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure this boxset will include the time of the doctor, the name of the doctor, an adventure in space and time and pretty much all the special stuff that's been going on for the last few months.
    Good job i held off from buying the day of the doctor and an adventure in space and time.

Also, i have been saying for months that this will happen! Glad to see i was actually right!

*The DAY of the doctor.
    Forum Member
    The only SE I have bought is The Aztecs,and yes I got it for Airlock
    Forum Member
    have just preordered "The Moonbase" from Amazon.co.uk
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    The Moonbase is back to the 20th January again.
    Link
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Moonbase is back to the 20th January again.
    Link

I don't think it was ever supposed to be 6th of january. Think the date was mistakenly listed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will other Classic Series come on Blue-Ray considering most survive on 16mm film copies?
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Will other Classic Series come on Blue-Ray considering most survive on 16mm film copies?

They may be on film but they are copies of video. The copying process wouldn't have given the material any better resolution than the source it was copying.

Theoretically you can upscale anything and put it on Blu Ray but it wouldn't look much better than the upscaling your Blu Ray player would already be doing to a DVD.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite excited about Moonbase release. I've watched the existing episodes a couple of times, but they're a bit meaningless on their own. The soundtrack CD isn't bad (better than the story's reputation wouled suggest), but the animated eps should make it a lot more of a realistic experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member

As mentioned above, you won't get much more resolution out of the film copies than the video source: there simply isn't any more information there. However, you would get substantial space savings: entire stories fitting onto one disc, even with lots of extras, making it more viable to release slimline box sets of entire seasons (or even entire Doctors) using just a few discs.

At a stretch, as long as the original 16mm film has survived, you could upgrade all of the film inserts in the series (mostly location shooting) to full HD. It'd be weird and distracting to go back and forth between HD outside footage and SD set footage. That's an incredibly expensive process to go through and the gain would be questionable.

If they do it, they'll need to find a way of marketing it to people who haven't already bought the DVDs, many of whom also bought the VHS tapes beforehand, because it's unlikely that huge numbers of fans will rush out to buy Blu-Rays when the image quality isn't that much better than the DVDs.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was a seperate dvd release featuring The Waters of Mars and The End of Time parts 1 & 2 without The Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    There was a seperate dvd release featuring The Waters of Mars and The End of Time parts 1 & 2 without The Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead.

I'm talking about BluRay!!

There was NO release of TWOM and TEOT on BluRay without the others. There was only a complete boxset with POTD and TND.

As I already had POTD on BluRay and TND on DVD and TND was only upscaled on the set anyway, I was more than a little miffed at having to re-buy what I had only just bought a couple of months earlier.

If they want to release a SE boxset with lots of extras, that's fine, but there should also be a vanilla release. Any extras that could possibly be on there I already have in HD downloads ie Science of Doctor Who, trailers, the Proms etc etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Details now in:-

http://www.bbcshop.com/science+nature/doctor-who-the-time-of-the-doctor+other-eleventh-doctor-christmas-specials-blu-ray/invt/bbcbd0265

Good news and bad news for me.

Good news - Not quite as expensive as originally hinted at (just short of £18) and doesn't include DOTD.

Bad news - includes all the other MS Christmas specials we all have already got. WHY???? Just to get another £6 out of each of us?

This way we all lose out. We all have to pay extra for things we already have. And those who deliberately held of buying DOTD expecting a 50th boxset of both will now have to buy both without all the extra 50th material they were expecting.

Obviously this was why they didn't originally intend putting TDTWATW on the last series boxset.

I don't know how many they usually sell, but for every 10,000 sales that's (potentially) an extra £60,000 they make. Even taking into account the extra pressings, they're on a good thing.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell! Not only can I not get a boxset containing both Time of the Doctor and Day of the Doctor, if I want to get both I have to buy every other Christmas special which I already have!! :mad:

I really hope a a DotD and TotD boxset is released later in 2014 (or at least included in the Series 8 boxset...but having two Doctors in one boxset would be weird)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is rubbish! Even worse than originally not including TDTWATW on the complete series 7.

I suggest we all complain about this. And maybe. Just maybe. We can get it changed so that rather than have all the Christmas specials, we have the time of the doctor, the day of the doctor and an adventure in space and time.

If anyone has an email address of where to complain, i would really appreciate that. I would also appreciate it if everyone else would complain as well, as we all loose out on this.