Foreign mobile networks....in Skegness?!!

lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was in Skeggy today (no comments please lol) and decided to force my LG Secret to lock onto Orange 2G to save battery life...so did a manual network scan and it came up with the usual suspects of networks as well as: TELIA DK 2G and VODAFONE NZ 3G

Are these foreign, or the phone getting confused? It wouldnt let me click onto them lol

Comments

• DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm Telia is from Denmark and Vodafone NZ is Vodafone in New Zealand :)

How on earth it managed to find them is anyones guess but its probably related to the weather :D
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denmark I could just about buy but even that is 350 miles.

New Zealand? Are you serious?

I would expect the phone was confused. With what though, is the $64,000 question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    You can often pick up networks from the continent when you are on the coast, for instance on the kent coast you can pick up the dutch and french networks....you have to be careful though, if someone rings you then you will be charged roaming rates....
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the way timing of the signals works in GSM, you get a maximum usable range from the transmitter mast of around 40-45 miles. Your phone may still show a signal beyond that, but because the timing won't be right, it won't be able to log onto that network and make/receive calls.

I used to have the manuals for the GSM Air-interface and signalling specs, as I used to work for Motorola dealing with the base station radio equipment. But they've long-since been chucked!
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    Due to the way timing of the signals works in GSM, you get a maximum usable range from the transmitter mast of around 40-45 miles. Your phone may still show a signal beyond that, but because the timing won't be right, it won't be able to log onto that network and make/receive calls.

I used to have the manuals for the GSM Air-interface and signalling specs, as I used to work for Motorola dealing with the base station radio equipment. But they've long-since been chucked!

This explains why when I worked on ships we could often receive networks even though we couldn't see any land - but the phone couldn't communicate with the mast on land. Sometimes I would receive my text match updates though.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite regularly get "Welcome to Ireland" text messages when travelling around the coasts of Wales and Scotland, particularly when I'm half-way up a mountain! It must be a tad irritating if you live close to the border of Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Earlier in the year, I was a little miffed to be charged about £1.50 for three short phone calls on the coast in Cornwall. I phoned my network to ask about it and it turned out I'd been calling via Guernsey.
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will i have this problem when i go to Folkestone on 26th June for that weekend?
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier in the year, I was a little miffed to be charged about £1.50 for three short phone calls on the coast in Cornwall. I phoned my network to ask about it and it turned out I'd been calling via Guernsey.

Did they waive the extra charge for these calls?
    I just wonder how you legally stand of you get a charge like this? The mobile companies have call charges for each country. If you make a call in the UK, you'd expect to be charged at UK rates.

People living in an overlap area, the Irish border for example, how do you make sure your phone doesn't go roaming?
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilson500 wrote: »
    Did they waive the extra charge for these calls?
    I just wonder how you legally stand of you get a charge like this? The mobile companies have call charges for each country. If you make a call in the UK, you'd expect to be charged at UK rates.

People living in an overlap area, the Irish border for example, how do you make sure your phone doesn't go roaming?

They didn't refund my credit, probably because I'm rather unlikely to take a major corporation to court over £1.50! It's my fault for not looking at the screen closely enough before calling - I've found out it actually has a little "R" next to the signal bars when roaming.

I'd imagine people on borders or the coast set their phone to manual network rather than the default automatic.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    DXRulz wrote: »
    Will i have this problem when i go to Folkestone on 26th June for that weekend?

It happens on The Leas area fairly frequently. My friends have noticed that with the right weather conditions, their provider becomes french.

I have not noticed it and I visit The Leas area daily.

I guess it is just down to chance.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sure it was NZ and not NL (Holland)
    Holland is closer and passable!

People on Pay and Go, and those on contracts with international roaming enable need to be careful by the look of it. Could get a nasty surprise when the bill arrives.
    Radio signals do travel much furthur in summer (atmospherics etc etc yawn) because here in Norfolk you can clearly listen to Dutch FM radio stations in the summer months if you are near the coast.