Windows 8 and new laptop some issues!

mills705mills705 Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
Firstly and probably the simplest to solve. It asked me to verify my email account and was going to send a code to my hotmail this was last night and I am still yet to receive anything? Any ideas?!

Next is more concerning for me. Several times now I have been in a programme such as cyber link DVD which is pre installed on the laptop and it closes the programme completely. Back to a desktop screen? Any ideas why this is happening?
Only had it for a day!
Laptop is a 15.6 inch hp pavillion and came with 8.1 pre installed

Comments

• mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ideas then?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I don't have Windows 8 so maybe no use to you.
    It asked me to verify my email account and was going to send a code to my hotmail

What is it, Win8 ?
    Several times now I have been in a programme such as cyber link DVD which is pre installed on the laptop and it closes the programme completely. Back to a desktop screen?

What other programs does it do this in ?
    Look in Event Viewer for errors.
    Only had it for a day!

You could try using the recovery option to set it back to factory settings or bring it/send it back to where you bought it from.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume this is a MS account/Outlook mail account verify thing.

You should have changed to Outlook Mail years ago, 2012. This should be set up with an alternative Email address for the verification code (or other means) I use Gmail for that sort of purpose.

I have had a new Windows 8.1 laptop 4 weeks ago and have done that verify bit 3 times thus far, what fun....

Cyberlink DVD probably needs updating, look to HP for that.

Or you can do this > Control Panel > Action Centre > Maintenance > View Reliability History > Look for stuff in there, some is trivial.

You do get some odd things happening by accidently doing swipe gestures with the mousepad. disable it and plug in a mouse which is ideal for Windows 8.1

If it's very bad, then you return the Laptop as not fit for purpose and get a refund.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Bought a new PC with Windows 8 yesterday. Windows 8 is just crap and I detest it. It's not windows in any way that I can see,they might have just as well called it 8.
    total wind up..
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we are in a desperate need of a pinned thread "Windows 8 is shite". As for the MS account, you can also add a mobile phone number there and they will send a text message with a code. Which may be convenient as you do not have to go logon anywhere to get the information.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    Bought a new PC with Windows 8 yesterday. Windows 8 is just crap and I detest it. It's not windows in any way that I can see,they might have just as well called it 8.
    total wind up..

Hilarious, you bought it yesterday and you don't know how to use it and can't be arsed to find out.
    Since you have made a decision and a definitive statement, it's impossible to see how you can possibly be helped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disable the mouse pad gestures and install StartIsBack. The Windows you know and love.
  • mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny the gestures was mentioned I turned that off and not had a problem since!
    I'll try adding a number, yes it's to verify the account for some reason! Annoying!
    As for windows 8.... Well I love it! So intuitive to use and apps are way better!
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Hilarious, you bought it yesterday and you don't know how to use it and can't be arsed to find out.
    Since you have made a decision and a definitive statement, it's impossible to see how you can possibly be helped.

Gave it another go today,sorry it's total garbage - click MP3 and it wants me to download an App.
    Yes I know that I can set MP3s and video to be played by Media Player - but I shoudn't have to.
    The "app" crap should be the option,not the default. When it "hung" while trying to download drivers so that I could download "more drivers" to get Windows 8.1 that was the last straw.
    Enjoyed 95/98/ME/Vista and 7 for years..no real problems at all.
    Non technical people like familiarity with added improvements,not a completely different experience,they want to plug it in and do what they have always done with minor hassles and possible extra features..
    It worked well enough for 15 years..
    A little research also shows that reformatting and putting Windows 7 on a computer with power/speed which I am more than happy with has also been made a pain in the ass.

Why would anyone want to pay for something they detest,that's a headache ?
    Didn't have to look too far on google to see that I am not alone in my "review"

:)
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    total wind up..

I would take issue with that statement - I think that it is just something new which you haven't as yet got to grips with. Humans as a species hate it when something familiar changes.

See THIS thread I have posted regarding Classic Shell and W8.1

You simply need some time to adjust to the changes. It's actually quite a good OS once you find where everything is - and this is from a Mac owner.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not windows in any way that I can see

That's a bit of an exaggeration surely? I too bought a Win 8 laptop recently. While I prefer 7 at this stage, so far I don't find 8 to be as bad as everyone has made out. Just takes a while to tame it. So far, I've resisted the third-party shells. Thought I'd force myself to get along with it. Having said that, my main PC is still my Win 7 desktop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mills705 wrote: »
    Firstly and probably the simplest to solve. It asked me to verify my email account and was going to send a code to my hotmail this was last night and I am still yet to receive anything? Any ideas?!

I had some weird problem with this initially. Not quite the same as yours. It kept rejecting my hotmail account. Not quite sure how I solved it in the end. I think at some point I rebooted and then it let me in.

Also, I realise now that I could have just set up a local account but MS don't make it obvious how to do that at the outset. If you have an existing MS account that's what they entice you to use.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    You should have changed to Outlook Mail years ago

Why pay for Outlook when Thunderbird is free, OpenSource, and an excellent mail client?

I too recently bought an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 8 (not 8.1) installed. After installing around 80 updates (!), I then got the option to upgrade to 8.1 which was hassle free.

Actually, 8.1 works well with my laptop which has a touch screen. It also came with a wireless mouse and mini USB dongle, so I have 3 ways to navigate a screen :)

Having read a load of stuff about Windows 8/8.1, I didn't think I'd like it, but I have got used to it and it's fine. I just have to touch or click a panel at the bottom left of the start screen to go to the standard desktop.

My main PC is still my desktop which has Windows 7 installed. I think 8 is best suited to touch screens where you can swipe through pages of information very quickly.

The verification code (which I think is for validating Windows, if I remember correctly) I had sent to my mobile phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave it another go today,sorry it's total garbage - click MP3 and it wants me to download an App.
    Yes I know that I can set MP3s and video to be played by Media Player - but I shoudn't have to.
    The "app" crap should be the option,not the default. When it "hung" while trying to download drivers so that I could download "more drivers" to get Windows 8.1 that was the last straw.
    Non technical people like familiarity with added improvements,not a completely different experience,they want to plug it in and do what they have always done with minor hassles and possible extra features..
    A little research also shows that reformatting and putting Windows 7 on a computer with power/speed which I am more than happy with has also been made a pain in the ass.

Yeah 8 has it's frustrations. It's best to ignore them. The Modern UI is completely superfluous.

I just discovered Skype is now possible via desktop! Ditching the app already.
    Forum Member

A little bit more research and you would find that it's not much different to Windows7 when you work from the desktop. That research would have also found you a myriad of solutions to making it look and work exactly like W7.
    I would say it's not a review, just a rant. There are many who don't like it still using it successfully without problems. So, just disliking it doesn't make it 'Crap'. In fact, while the Modern UI is a bit Marmite, under the skin it is better than W7.
    Put it away until W8.1.1 comes out later this month. That might make it better for you. (look it up)..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Why pay for Outlook when Thunderbird is free, OpenSource, and an excellent mail client?

On my Win 7 desktop I use Windows Live Mail, which I find mostly OK but could be less buggy.

On my Win 8 laptop I thought I'd give Thunderbird a go but couldn't get it working properly at all. It kept on re-indexing Gmail each time I started. Had several goes at various fixes and then gave up and uninstalled. I've just stuck with web mail for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use W8 mail app, it can be used for anything except POP3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Yeah 8 has it's frustrations. It's best to ignore them. The Modern UI is completely superfluous.

I just discovered Skype is now possible via desktop! Ditching the app already.

There never was any doubt about desktop version of Skype working on W8, the app is just an alternative.
    Forum Member
    A little bit more research and you would find that it's not much different to Windows7 when you work from the desktop. That research would have also found you a myriad of solutions to making it look and work exactly like W7.
    I would say it's not a review, just a rant. There are many who don't like it still using it successfully without problems. So, just disliking it doesn't make it 'Crap'. In fact, while the Modern UI is a bit Marmite, under the skin it is better than W7.
    Put it away until W8.1.1 comes out later this month. That might make it better for you. (look it up)..

I don't want to find myriad of solutions to making it look and work exactly like W7,I just want to carry on with my normal habits,but on a more powerful machine.
    In my experience,a new machine is mildly annoying enough with all the file re adds,the passwords to things,the commands and settings to remember this and that etc.
    I appreciate that it is different,but it is far too different.

A company like Microsoft should also listen to a few ordinary people before releasing a complete overhaul,not everyone in the world is an online social media multi platform radical "dude". lol
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A company like Microsoft should also listen to a few ordinary people
    Due to poor sales they've been forced to start to learn that lesson now. The CEO and top manager responsible for Windows 8 have been disposed of, and Microsoft are gradually issuing fixes to reverse the design mistakes in the product's user interface. They still haven't caught up with the third-party utility writers yet though.

IMHO Metro in its current form won't survive much longer. It'll either be radically redesigned, or relegated to being optional, or removed completely. Therefore it's not worth spending the considerable amount of time needed to learn it.
    Forum Member
    I don't want to find myriad of solutions to making it look and work exactly like W7,I just want to carry on with my normal habits,but on a more powerful machine.
    In my experience,a new machine is mildly annoying enough with all the file re adds,the passwords to things,the commands and settings to remember this and that etc.
    I appreciate that it is different,but it is far too different.

A company like Microsoft should also listen to a few ordinary people before releasing a complete overhaul,not everyone in the world is an online social media multi platform radical "dude". lol
    You don't need a myriad of solutions, just one or possibly two of them, depending on how much you wish to change it.
    Once you stop learning, you stop living. :)
    Forum Member
    You don't need a myriad of solutions, just one or possibly two of them, depending on how much you wish to change it.
    Once you stop learning, you stop living. :)

Too Late,computer returned and full refund !
    Windows 8 has gone "Back to the Future" ;-)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Due to poor sales they've been forced to start to learn that lesson now. The CEO and top manager responsible for Windows 8 have been disposed of, and Microsoft are gradually issuing fixes to reverse the design mistakes in the product's user interface. They still haven't caught up with the third-party utility writers yet though.

IMHO Metro in its current form won't survive much longer. It'll either be radically redesigned, or relegated to being optional, or removed completely. Therefore it's not worth spending the considerable amount of time needed to learn it.

That is so true as we can see here http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2014/04/01/windows-7-outgains-windows-8-8-1-market-share-windows-xp-still-27/?. Windows 8/8.1 seriously lags behind both 7 and XP in terms of market share and popularity. I know of people locally who getting upgraded from XP to 7 so completely avoiding 8. With Windows 9, Microsoft ought themselves offer a choice between a classic interface and a Metro-style interface.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    There never was any doubt about desktop version of Skype working on W8, the app is just an alternative.

Pretty sure that 8.0 forced you to install the app and it said the desktop version wasn't available on 8.0. That was from skype.com downloads, it may have changed.

I never save the Skype installer, it changes so often.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using Windows 8 for over a year now and I love using it and having the option of been able to switch between the apps and the desktop. Once I got use to it, it was a doddle to use and as my computer has a touch screen on it as I am typing on the touch screen, it is so responsive and ideal for my needs. The only mistake that Microsoft did was not to put the start button on the desktop, but that was sorted out for me within minutes of me getting the laptop.

I guess some people don't like change....