New Landlord messing us about - where do we stand?

MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Two weeks ago, me and my partner moved down to Weston-super-mare to move into a property that would be ready for us on November 5th.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. The property has dry-rot and severe woodworm, and therefore uninhabitable. We've our furniture in storage and living with my mother.

The landlord is impossible to get hold of - she's been more interested in her ferrett racing and keeps changing the story that the man isn't due until November 21st, and that she's short of funds/has the funds etc.

This is seriously fustrating us. We're now considering looking down the estate agent path and have viewings this week. I'm short of cash, waiting for my carers allowance to process. Work cocked up with my wages and said I was entitled to £824 - I'm not sure whether this is any help with
Community Care Grants due to my partner being disabled.

On top of that, my old landlord ran off with my deposit - £990 taken just like that :(

Where do we stand - as nothing was signed, can we claim damages from this woman due to the lies or is it time to move on and take another property?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why give your money away if you have not signed anything?

Do you have any proof of giving her the money?
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why give your money away if you have not signed anything?

Do you have any proof of giving her the money?

No money has been exchanged at all forgot to note. I'm just sick of being fobbed off with excuses.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,422
    Forum Member
    When did this happen with your old landlord (the one that nicked £990)? And where about in the country did this happen? Off topic but that shouldn't and couldn't happen if the deposit was in a proper deposit scheme
    Forum Member
    Oh and just find somewhere else if it's taking so long and you've not signed anything or given money - she's already failed as a landlady if she gave you a moving in date and it hasn't happened, can you imagine what it would be like if you lived there and something was needing done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    When did this happen with your old landlord (the one that nicked £990)? And where about in the country did this happen? Off topic but that shouldn't and couldn't happen if the deposit was in a proper deposit scheme

When I was living in Tipton from May to November 4th this year. The deposit was NOT protected as I checked online and rang the DPS personally. He ran off with my brother-in-law's! I'm trying to sue the corrupt fecker to get the money back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The former landlord has now been black-listed by Sandwell and Dudley councils, and there was a messy situation in July 2012 where the police were involved where I was interviewed for allegedly sending a racist message on a number that was dead in March 2012. The case was shut, as there was no evidence it was sent.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Two weeks ago, me and my partner moved down to Weston-super-mare to move into a property that would be ready for us on November 5th.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. The property has dry-rot and severe woodworm, and therefore uninhabitable. We've our furniture in storage and living with my mother.

The landlord is impossible to get hold of - she's been more interested in her ferrett racing and keeps changing the story that the man isn't due until November 21st, and that she's short of funds/has the funds etc.

This is seriously fustrating us. We're now considering looking down the estate agent path and have viewings this week. I'm short of cash, waiting for my carers allowance to process. Work cocked up with my wages and said I was entitled to £824 - I'm not sure whether this is any help with
    Community Care Grants due to my partner being disabled.

On top of that, my old landlord ran off with my deposit - £990 taken just like that :(

Where do we stand - as nothing was signed, can we claim damages from this woman due to the lies or is it time to move on and take another property?

Time to move on and take another property. trying to get damages could take months if not years
    Forum Member
    When I was living in Tipton from May to November 4th this year. The deposit was NOT protected as I checked online and rang the DPS personally. He ran off with my brother-in-law's! I'm trying to sue the corrupt fecker to get the money back.

Good that you're trying to sort it out. Good luck :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really need to talk to CAB.
    Over the old Landlord I would contact the police on 101 and ask for advice (or drop them an email on the local forces website (he might have previous)r,They might even suggest another department that can help thats clearly theft)

100% always go through an Estate Agent.they have the forms/Contracts its all legal.
    what worries me if the house is in that state the chances are its not had the boiler serivces with a safety certificate etc.And for all the problems you can see what about the ones you cant?

Its going to be a pain in the bum trying to find a new home But I would really avoid this lady.If she cant see the impression shes giving to new tenants even before you move in whats going to happen If you moved in and something massive like burst pipe.or boiler breaks etc.

Edit..Just saw the post about the former landlord.
    It will take ages trying to get that sorted I think the best you can do is just try and move on :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

We've found a place! An ad in the paper for a flat, professional guys owns a complete bloc - 1 bed room flat for £400 a month plus £400 deposit! Affordable, and we move in next Saturday (1st).

The would-be landlord told us to look elsewhere, as she had to pay four grand to do all the woodworm, pleading poverty etc - Have not fallen for it, but I do feel cheated that I had to give up my job for nothing a month early :(

I have two queries: I'm waiting for carers allowance and income support to be processed. How long will this take? Form was submitted 8th of November. Another thing is, my partners benefits and this carers allowance claim was registered at this adress - when we call benefits what do we do? Can we be punished for this? I have no other money, and am desperatly awaiting for these benefits to be speeded up.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

We've found a place! An ad in the paper for a flat, professional guys owns a complete bloc - 1 bed room flat for £400 a month plus £400 deposit! Affordable, and we move in next Saturday (1st).

The would-be landlord told us to look elsewhere, as she had to pay four grand to do all the woodworm, pleading poverty etc - Have not fallen for it, but I do feel cheated that I had to give up my job for nothing a month early :(

I have two queries: I'm waiting for carers allowance and income support to be processed. How long will this take? Form was submitted 8th of November. Another thing is, my partners benefits and this carers allowance claim was registered at this adress - when we call benefits what do we do? Can we be punished for this? I have no other money, and am desperatly awaiting for these benefits to be speeded up.

Enjoy living in WSM, I went to school there many moons ago!