Options

Best Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone got a great recipe? Promised boyf I'd make him another cake after I made one for him in Aug, Choc fudge is his fave (and mine!) so looking for a great recipie.

Frosting as well as sponge would be very helpful please :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh, now, make sure the frosting is ONLY melted chocolate and double cream (like you're making truffles, but - you know - not!). And put a layer of it inside the cake aswell!!! Bloody lovely!!

(i'm not so hot on the old choc sponge part of it, sorry...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not made truffels for years! Is it just simply mixing the choc and cream? or do i have to do something complicated?!
    And about what measures dya think I'd need?
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried this recipe and it's really good. You could swap the buttercrean for ganache as mentioned above.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6652/naughty-chocolate-fudge-cake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking round net n was thinking Nigella, apparently she does good chocolate cake.
    Anyone had experience
    Ty for that link whacky
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This recipe is amazing! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolatecolacake_7614

I have made it over and over again over the last few years.

But you must follow the recipe as it tells you otherwise it won't work - as my sister found out!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    This recipe is amazing! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolatecolacake_7614

I have made it over and over again over the last few years.

But you must follow the recipe as it tells you otherwise it won't work - as my sister found out!:D

Ooooh that looks great, thanks for posting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I've tried this recipe and it's really good. You could swap the buttercrean for ganache as mentioned above.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6652/naughty-chocolate-fudge-cake

Sorry, I have re-read the posts three times and I can't see where ganache is mentioned above - where is it - as it is doing my head in :)
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I have re-read the posts three times and I can't see where ganache is mentioned above - where is it - as it is doing my head in :)

Ganache is essentially the combining of chocolate and cream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Ganache is essentially the combining of chocolate and cream.

Thank you cavalli! You've done my job for me! I suppose the layman's term for it would be truffle mix.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you cavalli! You've done my job for me! I suppose the layman's term for it would be truffle mix.:)

Ganache sounds much more glamorous though ;)
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh that looks great, thanks for posting!

No probs Whacky :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imake icing like this... melt chocolate and a knob of butter, add a dash of milk and icing sugar. Its the best fudge icing ever!!! Moer milk maybe required
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    Not made truffels for years! Is it just simply mixing the choc and cream? or do i have to do something complicated?!
    And about what measures dya think I'd need?

I have to apologise, I came jusmping in with a recommendation and didn't expand lol!! I've been hunting for the recipe I've used in the past for the melted choc / cream thing (ganache oo la la hahahaha) but I can't find it anywhere!! Sorry :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that choc cola cake sounds amazing. thats gonna be my next venture i think!
    went with nigellas devil's food. waiting for frosting to thicken atm while the cake cools. looks amazing.
    i didnt have small enough sandwich tins for gettin it to my boyfriends (he still hasnt given the box i used last time i made him cake) so did it in a square tin so i can cut it in half and get it in a lunch box!
    will post a pic if people want!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've made a chocolate coca cola cake a few times but its not James Martin's recipe - very similar to it though.
    Cannot recommend it enough - the cola gives it a bit of a caramel taste and the frosting is yummy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    that choc cola cake sounds amazing. thats gonna be my next venture i think!
    went with nigellas devil's food. waiting for frosting to thicken atm while the cake cools. looks amazing.
    i didnt have small enough sandwich tins for gettin it to my boyfriends (he still hasnt given the box i used last time i made him cake) so did it in a square tin so i can cut it in half and get it in a lunch box!
    will post a pic if people want!

I'd like a pic AND a large slice please :D
  • Options
    ejakejak Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For future recipes I have a really yummy cheat fudge icing. All I do is melt over a bowl of simmering water, a good quality chocolate, (Lidls J.D.Gross brand is lovely as you can choose the mildest milk through to the darkest chocolate.) then I add nestles caramel in the ratio of 2 parts chocolate to 1 part caramel. Melt together let cool off a little then spread over cake yummy :D This also makes a lovely drizzle to decorate any dessert. My family also make me use this on my proffiterols.
  • Options
    tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Princess Delia does a good one ... I've made it and it's yummy:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/vegetarian-food/chocolate-fudge-cake.html