Options

Tardis and The Silence

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
I feel as though I may be being a dumb blonde but, did it ever get explained who was trying to re-create a tardis in 'The Lodger'? Also on another note about the tardis, who was controling it and why is it sending people way off (the doctor coming back years later instead of 5 minutes time).

Also did the silence come from the cracks in time? Seeing as in 'The pandorica opens' it says "The universe is cracked, the pandorica will open, silence will fall".. all of them have occured, it's so mind boggeling, hurry up september! So yes if anybody feels like answering my questions, they may be dumb, I was just wondering if they have been answered, or we are still awaiting this..

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi none of the questions have been answered so far. It should do in the next half. Sorry I can't be much help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naythan wrote: »
    I feel as though I may be being a dumb blonde but, did it ever get explained who was trying to re-create a tardis in 'The Lodger'?
    It was never certain that the vessel in the lodger was an attempt to replicate a TARDIS - that was the doctor's best guess at the time. In light of the events of TIA and DOTM it's probable that that is the way all silence ships are built, and the lodger ship was abandoned or left after the silence fled the doctor. This is all open to change if the silence reappear later in the series though.
    Also on another note about the tardis, who was controling it and why is it sending people way off (the doctor coming back years later instead of 5 minutes time).
    This is not yet known, and remains a mystery to be resolved.

Also did the silence come from the cracks in time? Seeing as in 'The pandorica opens' it says "The universe is cracked, the pandorica will open, silence will fall"..
    Maybe, or possibly were responsible for them, or were taking the opportunity they presented.
    all of them have occured, it's so mind boggeling, hurry up september! So yes if anybody feels like answering my questions, they may be dumb, I was just wondering if they have been answered, or we are still awaiting this..

Not at all, and there's every chance I've missed something in my responses. I've tried to avoid any theories and just stick to stuff as it's appeared in the show in my answers though, and in all probability it'll eventually turn out to be more complex/involved than I've put it here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was never certain that the vessel in the lodger was an attempt to replicate a TARDIS - that was the doctor's best guess at the time. In light of the events of TIA and DOTM it's probable that that is the way all silence ships are built, and the lodger ship was abandoned or left after the silence fled the doctor. This is all open to change if the silence reappear later in the series though.This is not yet known, and remains a mystery to be resolved.Maybe, or possibly were responsible for them, or were taking the opportunity they presented.

Not at all, and there's every chance I've missed something in my responses. I've tried to avoid any theories and just stick to stuff as it's appeared in the show in my answers though, and in all probability it'll eventually turn out to be more complex/involved than I've put it here.

Thank goodness I wasn't just day dreaming through-out the series then, I have a really big disliking to how so many answers are still unanswered!

One last thing, in amy's choice, at the end the doctor looks into the glass of the tardis, and somebody elses reflection is in the glass, has that also yet to be confirmed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness I wasn't just day dreaming through-out the series then, I have a really big disliking to how so many answers are still unanswered!

One last thing, in amy's choice, at the end the doctor looks into the glass of the tardis, and somebody elses reflection is in the glass, has that also yet to be confirmed?
    Isn't that the dream lords reflection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't that the dream lords reflection?

Oh really, that makes sense then.. well actually it doesn't, why would he still see him. Unless some of the pollen is still floating about. Hurry up season finale, when hopefully the majority of these questions will be cleared up!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Has anyone looked back to see if there really were "silence in the library"?;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is it sending people way off (the doctor coming back years later instead of 5 minutes time).
    The Doctor's always had trouble controlling his TARDIS.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Oh really, that makes sense then.. well actually it doesn't, why would he still see him.
    Because he is him. Even though they're not hallucinating any more, the Dream Lord is still a part of the Doctor's psyche.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    There has never been anyone in the history of the programme able to control the Tardis from outside apart from the people who built it.
    Why they would divert River to Amy's garden where she could get herself up to speed on the plot remains to be seen.
    It all kind of jives with Timothy Dalton's plot at the end of the previous season to destroy the Universe, ascend to become pure intelligence, and then restart creation because TD was playing the leader of the people who built the Tardis.

The Moff is into the long game
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    The Explosion at the center of the Universe causes the cracks in space and time, which allows creatures to escape (like Prisoner Zero) or unite (the Alliance). The Alliance believes that the Doctor is responsible for the explosion and won't listen when he tells them that it is the Tardis, not him. In fact they say that only the doctor can fly the Tardis, and that they united through the cracks to stop him from destroying everything. Prisoner Zero was the first to introduce the cracks in the universe which play a role in many of the series' stories. The Doctor is not locked in the Pandorica, Amy is. As the universe goes dark, he goes back in time to find the young Amy who still believes something is wrong. Her DNA unlocks the Pandorica. The doctor then retrieves his Sonic screwdriver from her pocket and then is finally able to heal the cracks by retrieving the Tardis which is still at the heart of the explosion.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    farstanley wrote: »
    There has never been anyone in the history of the programme able to control the Tardis from outside apart from the people who built it.

River flies the TARDIS better than the Doctor. He taught her. She tells him that it makes the noise because he leaves the brakes on, she follows him around pulling levers and pushing buttons that he does not know about and she gets the scanner working when he says it can not be done when the TARDIS is in clocked mode. So obviously someone else other the the builders can not control it.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Interesting that they chose to explain a way to (de)materialise the Tardis without us hearing it in a series where there's a question-mark over a missing Tardis in TIA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cynthia wrote: »
    The Explosion at the center of the Universe causes the cracks in space and time, which allows creatures to escape (like Prisoner Zero) or unite (the Alliance). The Alliance believes that the Doctor is responsible for the explosion and won't listen when he tells them that it is the Tardis, not him.

Why does the tardis explode in the first place? I dont seem to understand what that's all about, I may watch the whole series over again, hmmft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why does the tardis explode in the first place?

That's unknown - just another of the "to be explained" parts.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I noticed the other day while observing was that River's little book looks a little like a tardis, maybe that is how she gets about so easily.

the Pandorica is a box like a tardis but in a different shape, maybe that is bigger on the inside too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Something I noticed the other day while observing was that River's little book looks a little like a tardis, maybe that is how she gets about so easily.

the Pandorica is a box like a tardis but in a different shape, maybe that is bigger on the inside too.

River's "book" is just a diary - the Doctor has one just like it. She "gets about" using a vortex manipulator - the device she wears on her wrist - which is a very rough and ready space/time transport device.

The Pandorica was a box that held the occupant in total isolation. There is no reason to suspect it had any Time Lord technology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River's "book" is just a diary - the Doctor has one just like it. She "gets about" using a vortex manipulator - the device she wears on her wrist - which is a very rough and ready space/time transport device.

The Pandorica was a box that held the occupant in total isolation. There is no reason to suspect it had any Time Lord technology.
    who built the Pandorica?
    That has not been explained. The Pandorica has certain designs on it that may be linked with other places.

River has a device on her wrist, is there a sound that follows as she appears, gamma girl, lightning follows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    who built the Pandorica?
    That has not been explained. The Pandorica has certain designs on it that may be linked with other places.

The Pandorica was built by the members of the Alliance specifically for the doctor. He was scanned and it was built to specifications that would not allow him to escape. I assume that all members of the Alliance contributed to the building of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pandorica was built by the members of the Alliance specifically for the doctor. He was scanned and it was built to specifications that would not allow him to escape. I assume that all members of the Alliance contributed to the building of it.
    I would say that there has been no evidence of how it was built, only what has been explained. that could be a forthcoming episode, how the pandorica was built.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that there has been no evidence of how it was built, only what has been explained. that could be a forthcoming episode, how the pandorica was built.

I can't for one single second understand why the pandorica was built at all?? Forget the nonsense of the Doc freeing himself, I'll (reluctantly) let that one slide, but, and it's a very very very big but... all those different types of locks designed and constructed in the pandorica to secure the Doc by all of his enemies.... but a flash of a sonic screwdriver opened it in an second...?

They may as well put him in my garden shed.... stupid. It's not like the Daleks thought much of sonic devices ... quote 'a sonic probe' with disdain. (Doomsday)

erm, oh yeh that's that thing that simply opens our best attempt at locking someone up???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    I can't for one single second understand why the pandorica was built at all?? Forget the nonsense of the Doc freeing himself, I'll (reluctantly) let that one slide, but, and it's a very very very big but... all those different types of locks designed and constructed in the pandorica to secure the Doc by all of his enemies.... but a flash of a sonic screwdriver opened it in an second...?

They may as well put him in my garden shed.... stupid. It's not like the Daleks thought much of sonic devices ... quote 'a sonic probe' with disdain. (Doomsday)

erm, oh yeh that's that thing that simply opens our best attempt at locking someone up???
    that is why one has to think who built it, there can be always a back way to get in, that only certain people now about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I could never make my mind up (hence not mentioning it before) but if you watch Victory of the Daleks, at roughly 11:30 in - when the Doctor is twatting the Dalek with a big spanner - look at the blue-prints hanging on the wall behind the Doctor's head - one of them looks rather like the Pandorica.

It's not a very clear picture on my copy but it's on again this week so I'll be able to check in HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    River flies the TARDIS better than the Doctor. He taught her. She tells him that it makes the noise because he leaves the brakes on, she follows him around pulling levers and pushing buttons that he does not know about and she gets the scanner working when he says it can not be done when the TARDIS is in clocked mode. So obviously someone else other the the builders can not control it.

I looked, I really did, but if there is a point to the above I can't find it.

The noise is made by the Relative Dimensional Stabiliser which occurs with every Tardis that appeared in the program so we can take the reference to brakes as some form of wit.

Never heard of clocked mode.

And it's fairly obvious some else other than the builders cannot control it from outside, every one else other than the builders cannot control it from outside, only the Time Lords can.
  • Options
    City SlickerCity Slicker Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    It was ET.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »

The point was supposed to be that it was the perfect prison, i.e. impossible to open from the inside. I guess even with that allowed, ymmv.