Options

Movie ideas-opinions

sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems like all the time, there's rumours about a big screen Dr Who movie, and there's been loads of debates about the possibility on here. I think that it's more a matter of when than if though, and have my own ideas about what a movie could be about.

It seems to me that, for fans at least, the biggest problem about a movie or movies is how succesfully such a TV show could be badapted for the big screen, and whether or not a movie might clash with, or harm the show. I think that really, a movie series would have to be able to be independent from the show, and standalone, otherwise it would always just be another adventure, and whenever there was a TV regneneration etc, the movie Doctor would suddenly just change with no real explanation. A movie series would have to be able to do it's own stuff, however I'd be dead against any contradiction of what happens in the show, or any harming the continuity of the TV show. So what you need is a seperate continuity, which at the same time, doesent somehow damage the shows continuity. And I think I've got a good idea.

I've mentioned in a couple of threads, my ideas about how the time war, and how the classic series doesent neccesarrily have to have gone the way it did anymore. Think about it, it's a time war, a war fought throughout time, involving the deliberate changing of history, in a similar fashion to the war against machines as portrayed in the Terminator films. As ALL of Gallifrey's history has been timelocked (since the Doctor is always last of the Time Lords, whichever time he travels to) then this surely means that Time Lord history, and the Doctor's own timeline, might be altered, perhaps only slightly, maybe significantly. Plus, we know that the Time Lords were willing to change history, so that's another reason. This could also be used to adrress continuity problems etc i.e. times always changing, as well as bridging the gap between the TV Movie, and NuWho.

So, I think a really good idea would be to depict an alternate Doctor, in an alternate timeline, for the movies (it would be written in that this timeline was one of many due to the war constantly changing history, so viewers can still appreciate the classic series as "real" and obviously, the end of the time war in NuWho means any timeline that existed as part of the war would be aborted, so it doesent damage the current show), prehaps done in a similar way to the latest Star Treks, which would be connected to the show, maybe having Paul McGann play a similar role to Leonard Nimoy's in Star Trek 11, he could appear as a future/alternate Doctor to the movie Doctor, maybe explaining the situation of how time has been altered. You could have an alternate, young version of the first Doctor maybe, whose trying to make sense of a universe where time's gone wrong, maybe he learns that there's this big war changing history, he could remember some stuff about his alternate life, and P McGann could act as this guide who explains everything, and tells him that he'll have to fight in the future, but is trying to fix things, to reverse the changes.

It's also important to note that I wouldnt depict anything in the time war except it's beginning i.e. history changing as a result of this big war against the Daleks, and maybe the end, just so viewers are able to know how NuWho still happens. I'd just have the begining of the time war as being what sets up the movie series, the majority of the war is still in the Doctor's personal future, he just knows that time is constantly being rewritten by this war, but that one day he'll reverse it and end the war. He then goes off to have his own adventures, flying about and having fun.

So what do you guys think. Cos I think this idea would be fine for everyone, except perhaps the fans, who might not like the idea of a single second being changed (even though it could be used to explain incosistencies like why the Doctor didnt meet the Daleks until the story of the same name in the 60's, but in the 80's an earlier Doctor somehow knows to hide the Hand of Omega from the Daleks). So my thinking is, if it's popular here, it could be good, if not, not. And then all you'll have to do is write to the BBC and make them do a movie with me as head writer and director. :):D

So, what do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think the Time War would be the perfect subject for a film if it was done correctly (although I'm sure quite a few people enjoy the mystery of it), but ideally I think it should fit in the established timeline; I think it might be a bit confusing too for more casual fans to have alternate timeline with an alternate Doctor. Also, I think it would be good if the Time War was the main focus of the film, as it would answer some unknown questions about the war, it would have enough scope and spectacle for a big film and could have a huge climax. But I suppose this way there could only be McGann or Ecclestone as the Doctor (neither of which I'd be opposed to!), but that may not work commercially or practically, which is where your idea would work better.