EE Tina/Tosh: Trevor and Litlle MO Abuse storyline?

2»

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I don't think they're dynamic enough characters or actors to really pull of a hard-hitting domestic violence storyline. All the signs are there yes but I can just see it being a paint-by-numbers job where indeed it just leads to Sonia and Tina driving into the sunset (of the Butcher's residence) with no real impact. As another poster said I think it'd be more interesting to see it a generally toxic, mutually violent relationship fuelled by passion and alcohol. Again I'm not sure the actors could pull it off but at the moment I don't think the dull writing is giving them a chance to really prove that.

Personally though I'd like to see a DV story that involves an apparently strong soul gradually mentally and physically chipped away. But alas I don't think the writing is good enough to portray that convincingly over a long period of time anymore and it'd just come across as a personality transplant.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I don't think they're dynamic enough characters or actors to really pull of a hard-hitting domestic violence storyline. All the signs are there yes but I can just see it being a paint-by-numbers job where indeed it just leads to Sonia and Tina driving into the sunset (of the Butcher's residence) with no real impact. As another poster said I think it'd be more interesting to see it a generally toxic, mutually violent relationship fuelled by passion and alcohol. Again I'm not sure the actors could pull it off but at the moment I don't think the dull writing is giving them a chance to really prove that.

Personally though I'd like to see a DV story that involves an apparently strong soul gradually mentally and physically chipped away. But alas I don't think the writing is good enough to portray that convincingly over a long period of time anymore and it'd just come across as a personality transplant.

They tried that with Zainab but to be honest I just found it ridiculous with all the retconning they did to get her together with Yusuf.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    They tried that with Zainab but to be honest I just found it ridiculous with all the retconning they did to get her together with Yusuf.

Ah indeed, case in point! The actress did great with the limited material but the whole thing was just a sensationalist shambles. Although the Boxing Day fire episode is one of my personal favourites of the last murky few years, shame about the terrible storyline that led to it!
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Ah indeed, case in point! The actress did great with the limited material but the whole thing was just a sensationalist shambles. Although the Boxing Day fire episode is one of my personal favourites of the last murky few years, shame about the terrible storyline that led to it!

Yes, it pissed me off because Z's backstory about the fire in Pakistan was very brave and well written. Honor killings are a scourge in Pakistan. If TPTB wanted to torment her they could have brought in her ex in laws and done it that way.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I hope not but i can see an abuse storyline on its way. Do we really need another one? Personally i say no but others might think we do i suppose

Its good to re do them, I started watching in 2003, having missed all that, but cached up on UKTV Gold in 2006!

New viewers will not have seen the first!

It doesnt bother me if they re do stuff, as long as what I see is good, its not a problem!
  • PaulRobinsonFanPaulRobinsonFan Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tosh is an intriguing character and I really like Tina and I think a lesbian domestic abuse storyline would be very good to do. Domestic abuse regardless of gender is an extremely relevant issue and it's good to address it.

I think the writing has been very good so far

I would love to see a good long storyline like this.it has potential
  • PaulRobinsonFanPaulRobinsonFan Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to happen
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tina will be abuse by Tosh. similarly to Trevor and Little Mo.

People have been saying this for months.

I doubt this one will have the shock factor of the Slater sl. Trevor Morgan really was one scary mofo!!
  • Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    People have been saying this for months.

I doubt this one will have the shock factor of the Slater sl. Trevor Morgan really was one scary mofo!!

100% I was a teenager when that storyline was on and he def made an impression.

The comparison between both storylines I think are unfair. The back story and the characters were completely different. The little Mo and Trevor was one of the most realistic and almost terrifying storys because of how raw it was, and there was a goodie and baddie. His accent helped. No offence but when he put on the charm he had this lovely soothing voice, which was more of a surprise. If he sounded like a thug, have less impact I think from a viewer.

With Tina and Tosh, we've seen part of the violence. Also seen Tina slap her first (no way an excuse) but does blur the line of the old goodie vs baddie. They've made Tosh more human in a way, because she's not as obvious as Trevor was. When Stan's cancer was revealed, Tosh looked upset which adds to the complexity. Abuse does happen in all types of relationships so I'm glad that angle is being looked at. Even if I'm not mad about either character. More engaging than affair storylines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I remember screaming for joy when mo stood up to trevor and threatened to "punch him right back" i cant see this storyline having the same reaction when it reaches its climax because i don't think Tina is a character people will get behind or root for like they did little mo.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Although similar, I think it's very different too. I don't see Tosh sticking around for much longer, Tina needs to get with Sonia.