Steve's depression storyline in Corrie

Comments

• Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Kym Marsh happened. ^_^

I can't watch the bits where she appears. I turn the sound right down. I actually go to the trouble of finding the remote as soon as her face appears. I wish Steve was married t someone else.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

I can't watch the bits where she appears. I turn the sound right down. I actually go to the trouble of finding the remote as soon as her face appears. I wish Steve was married t someone else.

I do the same with Anna Windass from Corrie and Megan from Emmerdale! They both talk as though they have a dry mouth. It's horrible to listen to. Have a glass of water in between takes!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    Kym Marsh will never leave as she knows which side her bread's buttered on, so she may as well be nice and supportive.

I would love for Steve and Leanne together, I think they would be much better suited than with their current partners.

Remember when Michelle thought Steve had slept with Leanne years ago and Michelle kicked her out of the pub :D

:o:o:o No. I don't remember that! :D:D:D

Back to Steve and Leanne. They could really work together. As I said before, Leanne is a good worker and she really knows the hospitality trade. But even better is that she can act and with Steve they could have some really good SLs and great repartee together behind the bar. It would be far better the stale relationship and Michelle fold and unfold her arms, swivel her eyes, flick her hair, berate Steve etc. and be told how wonderful she is. over and over again.

Maybe Leanne could buy into the Rovers with her divorce settlement.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »

I do the same with Anna Windass from Corrie and Megan from Emmerdale! They both talk as though they have a dry mouth. It's horrible to listen to. Have a glass of water in between takes!

So does Ronnie from EE and Kylie Minogue!:D:D:D
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve isn't depressed.

He still jokes around, musters the energy to go to the gym, takes an interest in what's going on in his neighbourhood.
    When I was depressed I just used to get up, get dressed then spend the day staring into the middle distance with teary eyes.
    Not good enough, Corrie.

( then again, this is the soap that had a supposedly ADHD suffering child having a bit of a moan about having to do something he didn't want to or throwing a piece of Lego across the room, then his mother tearing out her hair saying " I can't cope with this behaviour!!" :D )
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    What will be really great, is if he manages to pull it off. I think most people view Steve as a comedic chararcter, for Simon to really gain our sympathy would take some skill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve isn't depressed.

He still jokes around, musters the energy to go to the gym, takes an interest in what's going on in his neighbourhood.
    When I was depressed I just used to get up, get dressed then spend the day staring into the middle distance with teary eyes.
    Not good enough, Corrie.

( then again, this is the soap that had a supposedly ADHD suffering child having a bit of a moan about having to do something he didn't want to or throwing a piece of Lego across the room, then his mother tearing out her hair saying " I can't cope with this behaviour!!" :D )

However we cannot base everyone's experience of depression on our own. People with depression can get up, go to work, care for children etc because they have no other choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wotnot wrote: »
    However we cannot base everyone's experience of depression on our own. People with depression can get up, go to work, care for children etc because they have no other choice.

I did care for children; other peoples as well as my own ( I was a nursery nurse at the time) but having to get on with your life does not affect the way that severe depression makes you behave ( beyond your control ). When my employers noticed my very obvious detached state I was encouraged by them, my doctor and my family to remove myself from my life as much as possible until I recovered.
    Steve is not nearly detached enough for a depressed person imo.
    Maybe it's early days and the detachment will come later as he continues to bury his head in the sand and cope alone. I hope so.
    I do hope Corrie do this story well.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With Steve's case and people saying that he's not depressed, I think of Robbie Williams who has spoken in the past about having depression - the cheeky chappy lad who comes across as a lot of fun and has a great stage presence - you can hide it.

I think this storyline is brilliant for Corrie to do because it will educate people on the subject.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    With Steve's case and people saying that he's not depressed, I think of Robbie Williams who has spoken in the past about having depression - the cheeky chappy lad who comes across as a lot of fun and has a great stage presence - you can hide it.

I think this storyline is brilliant for Corrie to do because it will educate people on the subject.
    Exactly Sex, and personally I think Simon Gregson is playing a blinder at the moment.

Too many people, even in this day and age, basically think that 'clinical depression' just means 'very unhappy' and it really doesn't. From seeing my best friend go through it, from start to finish (following treatment), I know that it generally involves unusual and irrational anxiety, an inability to cope, inability to marshall one's thoughts or follow a conversation plus occasional lapses into heartbroken tears that even the sufferer has no explanation for.

Steve is currently in the early stages and is playing it just right imo.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. It's interesting that at the very beginning of the story, we are told that it's depression - we didn't see Steve be 'off' for months and not knowing what was wrong (that has pretty much covered and apart from a couple of things, I don't think we were meant to notice) but we were shown Steve himself realising that something was wrong.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this storyline played out and I think Simon will play it brilliantly as he's already acted the subtle things, like with his conversation with Liz when he came back from the doctors, very well.
  • Options
    dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve isn't depressed.

Not good enough, Corrie.

Er, not everyone suffers from the same form or symptoms of depression?
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fortunately, Steve is not married to Michelle, so he can kick her out of the pub whenever he wants - and I wish he would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dickronson wrote: »
    Er, not everyone suffers from the same form or symptoms of depression?

Er..yes I realise that and, as I said in my further post, maybe this is the early stages and his depression will get convincingly deeper.
    If this is the extent of it, though, I'm sorry but it's just not believable. Just my opinion.

Incidently, why put a question mark in your post when it's not a question?
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er..yes I realise that and, as I said in my further post, maybe this is the early stages and his depression will get convincingly deeper.
    If this is the extent of it, though, I'm sorry but it's just not believable. Just my opinion.

Incidently, why put a question mark in your post when it's not a question?

I don't know how I feel about this point. In the past few months I've started to get help for depression and I feel I can relate massively to Steve's situation. I never felt at the stage like I couldn't get out of bed for days on end or I couldn't get on with my daily life - there was just a heaviness, an emptiness, even a struggle following me around for nearly two years and I told myself there was no way I could possibly be depressed because I nearly always managed to get out of bed and put a smile on despite feeling unsatisfied, unhappy, uninterested and detached on the inside

It's so important to know anyone can become depressed no matter how happy they seem on the outside and I think Corrie have done this well so far with Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your own experience with depression but I find it difficult to take from someone who's had their own experiences that you would say Steve's depression is not believable unless it gets more severe. Depression comes in many forms.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how I feel about this point. In the past few months I've started to get help for depression and I feel I can relate massively to Steve's situation. I never felt at the stage like I couldn't get out of bed for days on end or I couldn't get on with my daily life - there was just a heaviness, an emptiness, even a struggle following me around for nearly two years and I told myself there was no way I could possibly be depressed because I nearly always managed to get out of bed and put a smile on despite feeling unsatisfied, unhappy, uninterested and detached on the inside

It's so important to know anyone can become depressed no matter how happy they seem on the outside and I think Corrie have done this well so far with Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your own experience with depression but I find it difficult to take from someone who's had their own experiences that you would say Steve's depression is not believable unless it gets more severe. Depression comes in many forms.
    Well said GB, and I think your experience probably shows why so many people don't get diagnosed/helped for so long. They simply don't realise that they have a genuine illness, just like any other, and therefore don't seek help.

Obviously a soap can't mirror real life for such extended periods, hence Steve's early diagnosis, (which he's desperately trying to deny at the moment). I do think Simon Gregson is playing the part very well. :) Glad that you eventually found help too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did care for children; other peoples as well as my own ( I was a nursery nurse at the time) but having to get on with your life does not affect the way that severe depression makes you behave ( beyond your control ). When my employers noticed my very obvious detached state I was encouraged by them, my doctor and my family to remove myself from my life as much as possible until I recovered.
    Steve is not nearly detached enough for a depressed person imo.
    Maybe it's early days and the detachment will come later as he continues to bury his head in the sand and cope alone. I hope so.
    I do hope Corrie do this story well.

You said - Steve isn't depressed because - "When I was depressed I just used to get up, get dressed then spend the day staring into the middle distance with teary eyes."

If this was the case you couldn't have been caring for your children, that's not a judgement it's a fact based on your statement. I have suffered severe depression but was able to function suitably to get through my day with no one noticing before crumpling into a heap with my despair once alone it's what most of us mums do because something stronger than our mental condition kicks in. I just don't like the assumption of some people that unless you are a gibbering suicidal heap you can't possibly have suffered depression. There's always another story than our own.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they have done well giving the story to Steve, who is normally only involved in the light hearted stories
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    wotnot wrote: »

The more depressed I am, the more of a front I put on.
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I hope the writers have researched this topic fully. I certainly didn't see it coming but as someone that suffers stress and anxiety I'm interested to see how the storyline will develop. Without wanting to sound callous, I hope the character goes on to have a full mental breakdown (a la Paul Robinson in Neighbours in the early 90s - a storyline that has stuck with me forever) as I would like to see how he overcomes that and the reactions of those around him.
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    The more depressed I am, the more of a front I put on.

Because we know that those around us won't cope or offer the type of support we need. Exactly how I feel tonight. I burst into tears at work today and am mortified. Lots of sole drinking tonight, brave face tomorrow.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve isn't depressed.

Not good enough, Corrie.

People deal with depression differently.
    Some people can function, some can't.

I think they are trying to show that depression comes in all forms and there isn't just the stereotypical "sitting in a dark room on your own" type of depression.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    :o:o:o No. I don't remember that! :D:D:D

Back to Steve and Leanne. They could really work together. As I said before, Leanne is a good worker and she really knows the hospitality trade. But even better is that she can act and with Steve they could have some really good SLs and great repartee together behind the bar. It would be far better the stale relationship and Michelle fold and unfold her arms, swivel her eyes, flick her hair, berate Steve etc. and be told how wonderful she is. over and over again.

Maybe Leanne could buy into the Rovers with her divorce settlement.

Leanne was back working at the pub around 2008, Leanne and Steve were having a few laughs and a couple of private chats and before you know it, Michelle has the wrong end of stick and confronts her front of the whole pub revealing her hooker paste :D:D

I completely agree with everything you say :)
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    GracieL wrote: »
    Leanne was back working at the pub around 2008, Leanne and Steve were having a few laughs and a couple of private chats and before you know it, Michelle has the wrong end of stick and confronts her front of the whole pub revealing her hooker paste :D:D

I completely agree with everything you say :)

Hooker paste? That sounds nasty :o:D
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Steve isn't depressed.

Not good enough, Corrie.

Maybe he went to the gym to workout because he was trying to improve his mood?

Exercise is well known as good for endorphins so it could have been a clue he was trying it to improve mood or perhaps as a means of distracting himself from his problems-namely anxiety over appearing in Peter's court case.