19" LG Monitor Resolution

tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In my infinite wisdom I decided to update my ATI Radeon 1550 series graphics card as I'd never done this. Problem now being having large trouble with the resolution before it was 800 x 600 which did the job superbly now I've tried a few things and it's either too big or too small on screen mostly the latter.

I've got a LG L194WT 19" monitor so I thought I might update the drivers. I found something but nothing there that seemed to be a driver (but I'm not that great with computer so there could have been, I'm used to downloading drivers and it coming up with a wizard of some kind, this did nothing.)

Any suggestions apart from next time I get a monitor I go with my gut feeling and get a 17" monitor and ignore partners pleas for a larger one :D

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What drivers is it you tried to install? The graphics card or the monitor? I can't quite decide which from your post.

Anyhow, try installing the latest graphics card drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.8&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

I take it you have tried changing the resolution in the display properties?
  • tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry it was the Graphics card that I was updating.

I tried to update the Monitor as well but couldn't get drivers.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes it's not a monitor issue whatsover,the monitor is excellent ,and offers a wide range of high resolutions.

800x600 is poor for modern times.

You need the graphics card driver to open up all the possibilites and to set things correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tarotangel wrote: »
    Sorry it was the Graphics card that I was updating.

I tried to update the Monitor as well but couldn't get drivers.

are you using xp or vista?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XP Media Centre Edition
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XP Media Centre Edition

here is the driver for media centre
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_mce.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.8&lang=English

personally i'd just download the 15mb driver only
    Display Driver 15.4MB 9.3 3/18/2009

rather than the 72mb option 1.

once you get it installed ,another resolution you can look at is 1024x768.It's a fairly typical resolution.

you don't sound like you want to get the best from the monitor and run it at high resolutions?
    The higher you go the smaller everything is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the driver that I downloaded earlier so I'm glad I've got the right one. I wouldn't put it past myself to download the completely wrong thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the driver that I downloaded earlier so I'm glad I've got the right one. I wouldn't put it past myself to download the completely wrong thing.

it's the correct one,can you find it to click on it after you have downloaded?

It's an ordinary exe file,after clicking it starts to install the drivers,after which you should reboot.

Then you can change resolutions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll uninstall the driver in the morning and then put the 15mb in and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the replies :D
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Your other option is to go into the Display Properties and increase the DPI setting. This will allow you to run the monitor at it's native resolution (1440 x 900 in your case) but with everything looking 'bigger'. Some dialogue boxes in certain programs may not look perfect, but it should be a usable solution for you - you just need to play around until you find the preferred DPI setting that offers the best balance between size and clarity.

Note that Vista does a far better job than XP at doing this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for all the advice, I've now got things going ok.

:D

I didn't really know anything about resolution when I bought the monitor. I'm partially blind so I have problems reading things at times hence the not really wanting it to go smaller than it has to. There was an offer on for the 19" monitor when we bought it and Mr TA decided that the bigger monitor was for him.

I have to say watching iPlayer tonight was brilliant, far better now I've updated Graphics Card.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I didn't really know anything about resolution when I bought the monitor. I'm partially blind so I have problems reading things at times hence the not really wanting it to go smaller than it has to.

Then you really should try increasing the DPI settings. A lot of people don't like the high resolution (everything looking small) on large monitors, so you're certainly not alone.
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    if its an lcd, running at the low resolution is a bad idea. then i guess you are partially blind which explains it. vista/osx are better at handling this. since they have 3d interfaces they can scale their gui at any size you wish regardless of the screen resolution. xp has the dpi/large font setting but it can get ugly if cranked too hard. if you are partially blind the best option would be to get a BIGGER monitor, not a smaller one. you should have gotten the biggest you could afford and then this would have been a much easier issue to deal with.