Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Oh dear, really? I thought that was one of the easier wall clues, too! I did enjoy how he was introduced as an actor ^_^

Kevin Eldon ? I thought that was Rod Hull...
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I read some of the thread last night before watching the episode.

I thought people referring to Steve Jones were meaning the Welsh TV presenter :D
    Had he even seen the show before? He was probably as useless as his namesake would be.

Saying that though, overall his team did tend to need all the clues before they even had an inkling of a connection but if they had more time to discuss on earlier clues it could have been different.

I was surprised that Grigson hadn't heard of the Tomatoes are a Fruit quote.

Although VCM may have debunked it
    Tomatoes & custard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bxUo7MZc24

Odd that to me, Steve Jones is a marathon runner (still the fastest Briton, I believe).

But I'd have preferred the Sex Pistol, too!!

Oh ... and I was expecting Kate Moss, and not Kate Mosse!!
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Odd that to me, Steve Jones is a marathon runner (still the fastest Briton, I believe).

But I'd have preferred the Sex Pistol, too!!

Oh ... and I was expecting Kate Moss, and not Kate Mosse!!

The next celeb special should have six 'Steve Jones's. that would be fun. To be fair they can't have 'household name' celebs because it would end up at nil-nil like the 'Lamb and Flag' pub quiz. I would prefer to see the good teams from the past brought back, I'm not sure how much impetus a charitable appeal gets from seeing vaguely famous people struggle with an unfriendly panel game.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Kevin Eldon ? I thought that was Rod Hull...

Rod Hull?! :confused:

Do you mean...Rich Hall, maybe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Rod Hull?! :confused:

Do you mean...Rich Hall, maybe?

Sorry - too obscure....

http://youtu.be/RQsRClW77_4
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Sorry - too obscure....

http://youtu.be/RQsRClW77_4

Rod Hull obscure?!? I know I'm getting on a bit but this is ridiculous.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin donated his fee to charity. It was of course, paid in jelly.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Kevin donated his fee to charity. It was of course, paid in jelly.

Brilliant!
    Forum Member

I think the OP meant the Fist of Fun Rod Hall reference was a bit obscure not Rod Hull himself.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP meant the Fist of Fun Rod Hall reference was a bit obscure not Rod Hull himself.

I think you have lost many of us? Never heard of Kevin Eldon or Rod Hall, no idea what the jelly reference was about.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.fistoffun.net/images/gallery/fof2/fistoffuns2e6-16.jpg

Rod Hull with Rod Hall. Why anyone would confuse the two I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think you have lost many of us? Never heard of Kevin Eldon or Rod Hall, no idea what the jelly reference was about.

OK - Here goes...

Kevin Eldon was one of the contestants on Monday night

He was a recurring character in the 90s comedy sketch show 'Fist of Fun', where he played a fantasist attempting to pass himself off as Rod Hull, as per the YouTube clip I linked to. He also had a penchant for Jelly.

Rod Hull is not obscure. Knowledge of the aforementioned 'Fist of Fun' character is.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - Here goes...

He was a recurring character in the 90s comedy sketch show 'Fist of Fun', where he played a fantasist attempting to pass himself off as Rod Hull, as per the YouTube clip I linked to. He also had a penchant for Jelly.

Rod Hull is not obscure. Knowledge of the aforementioned 'Fist of Fun' character is.

I know he was a contestant but I had no idea who he is (not much wiser now!) and he did not seem to contribute much from what I remember.

I know of Rod Hull of course but someone referred to Rod Hall.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the connecting sequence....

1. Kevin Eldon on Only Connect

2. Fist of Fun (Old TV show with Lee & Herring and Kevin Eldon)

3. Rod Hall (A jelly loving character on Fist of Fun)

4. Rod Hull (The entertainer who Rod Hall was pretending to be)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh it was brilliant stuff. He had a flappy, flat arm on the right side because he wasn't carrying emu, and it was during that series that the real Rod ( I AM HIM!!!) fell to his death. Kevin's last scene was him staring forlornly at a telephone, waiting for Lee and Herring to ring him with more work.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I know he was a contestant but I had no idea who he is (not much wiser now!) and he did not seem to contribute much from what I remember.

I know of Rod Hull of course but someone referred to Rod Hall.

Which was a spelling mistake, it was supposed to say Rod Hull.
    Forum Member
    OK - Here goes...

Thanks johnny_t, that's what I was trying to say!
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cellomad wrote: »
    Yep, you've got the connection!, ( couldn't resist that one)

It is also the start of a full season of brainwashing (sorry encouraging) from the smug and wealthy to enable us peasants to give to others in need. The Tory voters then withdraw to congratulate each other on how much they have squeezed out of the unsuspecting poor before going out the next day to perpetuate their capitalist greed - perhaps a bit harsh but not totally inaccurate.

Robert Peston is a confirmed Labourite and friend of Ed Balls but in principle the same applies.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As draining as the Rod Hull/Kevin Eldon conversation has been it's still enlivened this thread a thousand fold compared to the usual atg pedantry
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As draining as the Rod Hull/Kevin Eldon conversation has been it's still enlivened this thread a thousand fold compared to the usual atg pedantry
    Well thanks for that delightful comment. It's a pity you have nothing better to do than sit and read a thread that obviously offers nothing interesting to you. Still, internet trolls are all like that aren't they? Of course, it's the others that disagreed with my perfectly valid point that turned it into something so tedious for you.

Maybe you should look for other more exciting threads.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Of course, it's the others that disagreed with my perfectly valid point that turned it into something so tedious for you.
    That doesn't sound pompous at all, really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    That doesn't sound pompous at all, really.
    And it wasn't, at all.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    . Still, internet trolls are all like that aren't they? Of course, it's the others that disagreed with my perfectly valid point that turned it into something so tedious for you..

If anyone's a troll it's you mate, as you revel in winding folk up week after week.

I'm just a fan of the show, and this used to be an enjoyable thread when davidbod contributed more.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Everyone on here should watch last night's Googlebox which had them watching the CiN edition :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone's a troll it's you mate, as you revel in winding folk up week after week.

I'm just a fan of the show, and this used to be an enjoyable thread when davidbod contributed more.
    Don't be so stupid. I make what I think are reasonable points and anybody is entitled to disagree with them, as they do. I don't set out to wind anybody up, this is actually what you are trying to do with your posts about me which are trolling, by being purely insulting with no other purpose.

Davidbod doesn't even work on the programme any more, however still contributes when he has something to offer.

So basically you can lump it or like it. Up to you. But it definitely would get boring for people if you persist with the playground insults.

Ok?