✭✭✭
    Wait... Isis let woman go to school?!
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ba Na Na wrote: »
    Wait... Isis let woman go to school?!

They're a little more progressive than Newcastle.
  • Options
    davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    Burn it and dance on it......

Absolutely :D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Bin it >:(

And then pay the school for a new one as it's their property.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    :o:o:o
    Did I actually just read that..?
    :o:o:o
    Education should begin at the age of seven and continue no later than the age 15, according to the manifesto. Curriculum should focus largely on Islamic religious studies, Koranic Arabic and learning basic cooking, knitting and other skills, in order to prepare women for their role at the centre of the household.

It's not far from the truth.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/life-as-a-woman-under-isis-document-reveals-for-the-first-time-what-group-really-expects-from-female-recruits-living-in-syria-and-iraq-10025143.html
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny if she really thinks ISIS has actual schools even moreso for 4 year oldd

Msybe they have a ISIS Cbeebies.

And today Mr Maker will teach you how make a bomb

Of course they have schools, why on earth not?

Do you think they are just a small bunch of angrymen in black driving a truck around the Middle East waving guns?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11099882/Islamic-State-issues-new-school-curriculum-in-Iraq.html
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    They're a little more progressive than Newcastle.

What? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Of course they have schools, why on earth not?

Do you think they are just a small bunch of angrymen in black driving a truck around the Middle East waving guns?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11099882/Islamic-State-issues-new-school-curriculum-in-Iraq.html

Muslims have schools not ISIS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslims have schools not ISIS.

Did you look at the link?

Here's another one. You do realise they want to create a strictly Islamic STATE (hence the name) with schools, healthcare etc. and are well on their way to achieving this?

http://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2014/09/education-like-islamic-state/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you look at the link?

Here's another one. You do realise they want to create a strictly Islamic STATE (hence the name) with schools, healthcare etc. and are well on their way to achieving this?

http://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2014/09/education-like-islamic-state/
    They are still not actual schools and anyway the book you found out about online is set in the UK.

And just becuase they want to do all that stuff doesn't mean they will many religions want to rule everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are still not actual schools and anyway the book you found out about online is set in the UK

Yes, they are actual schools in Iraq and Syria run by ISIS.

Yes I know the Mosque School in the book was is set in the UK. I was commenting on the women all covered up in traditional clothing and joked about what the girls learned in the Muslim school.

I am not sure what you are on about TBH.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Yes it was very contrived. I did not like the way he misbehaved and caused all that fuss and then his grandfather came along and acted all proud :confused:

At least his big sister was actually allowed to attend school. Probably mainly sewing and cooking classes though.

What??:confused:
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think maybe the shock is that the OP suggested that Muslim schools only teach girls home making skills...then started talking about ISIS education(Not in the UK)...which granted would be very behind the times.

Women dressed in tradition clothing/ modestly dressed....in a children's book! Shocking, they should definitely have their legs out at least suuuuuurely.

You are being overly sensitive, get over it, there are different cultures and traditions in the country (yes not all western and anti-oppressive but some dare I say some are just tradition and culture).
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wait till you get to the next reading level. You have to read it right to left.
    :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Apparently that's what girls learn at ISIS schools. How to be a good housewife and mother.

OMG :o:o:o:o
    Can I actually swear??
    How do you not fall down more often?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG :o:o:o:o
    Can I actually swear??
    How do you not fall down more often?

Please elaborate! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Children's books about minority communities are generally excruciatingly dull, full of poncy little children who do nothing but tell the rosary and pour a cup of tea for grandma (change details as appropriate). At least this one has some vestige of a story, it would seem.

My children used to like the Oxford Reading Tree books. They have a cheerful, lively kind of atmosphere and attractive pictures. I see that this is one in a set of 36 for that level. I assume that the others are not about little children wanting to go to Mosque School, or it would be very odd indeed.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've ordered a copy for myself to see how tragic it is. I've already written a strongly worded letter to the Daily Mail based on this thread and zero facts and will follow up with an even more rage-laden email once I get my grubby little hands on this offensive reading material.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SarahJam wrote: »
    I think maybe the shock is that the OP suggested that Muslim schools only teach girls home making skills...then started talking about ISIS education(Not in the UK)...which granted would be very behind the times.

Women dressed in tradition clothing/ modestly dressed....in a children's book! Shocking, they should definitely have their legs out at least suuuuuurely.

You are being overly sensitive, get over it, there are different cultures and traditions in the country (yes not all western and anti-oppressive but some dare I say some are just tradition and culture).

I want to know why men have to wear trousers and shirts in offices while women can show their legs. Is it something to do with ISIL schools? :(

Poor men having to hide their legs in the office!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Annie, get your gun.
  • Options
    Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I felt a bit like my home life had been invaded by religion, but maybe I am being oversensitive?

I would have been a bit surprised at the content of this book too.
    Still, Best thing is explain the cultural observations in the book to your Son and why you may disagree/object to them too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children's books about minority communities are generally excruciatingly dull, full of poncy little children who do nothing but tell the rosary and pour a cup of tea for grandma (change details as appropriate). At least this one has some vestige of a story, it would seem.

My children used to like the Oxford Reading Tree books. They have a cheerful, lively kind of atmosphere and attractive pictures. I see that this is one in a set of 36 for that level. I assume that the others are not about little children wanting to go to Mosque School, or it would be very odd indeed.

Quite a few of them feature a DOG called floppy :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I want to know why men have to wear trousers and shirts in offices while women can show their legs. Is it something to do with ISIL schools? :(

Of course, the oppression of men is a running theme in the West.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, the oppression of men is a running theme in the West.

Well exactly. Men and women dressing differently isn't a sign of oppression.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »

Move up here... they all wear kilts :D