Options

Photoshop Elements 2 (free?)

DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've recently had to invest in a new PC, following the demise of my XP machine, which contained Photoshop Elements 2. It came on a "give away" disc with one of the many PC monthly magazines. I've had a new computer assembled, and was advised that Windows 7 was a better OS than Win 8. Unfortunately, I was told, it had not been possible to transfer everything from the defunct machine onto the Win 7 hard drive, PS Elements 2 being one of the items missing, and I seem to have mislaid (or lost) the free CD, so can't install it onto my new pc. Naturally, I went onto Google to download it afresh from one of the many sites but couldn't distinguish the PS Elements 2 download from all the other "offers". These sites seem to deliberately surround PS with lots of other downloads just to confuse. One of the sites I opened was Cnet because, in the past, I have found it straight forward to download stuff, but this time, what I thought was the "free" PS2, turned out to be one of the chargeable PS Elements. I need this version of PS because I am used to it and haven't got an alternative programme to edit and "doctor" some photos I want to print. Can anyone suggest a website for the free version and how to separate it from all the other offers.

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    I've recently had to invest in a new PC, following the demise of my XP machine, which contained Photoshop Elements 2. It came on a "give away" disc with one of the many PC monthly magazines. I've had a new computer assembled, and was advised that Windows 7 was a better OS than Win 8. Unfortunately, I was told, it had not been possible to transfer everything from the defunct machine onto the Win 7 hard drive, PS Elements 2 being one of the items missing, and I seem to have mislaid (or lost) the free CD, so can't install it onto my new pc. Naturally, I went onto Google to download it afresh from one of the many sites but couldn't distinguish the PS Elements 2 download from all the other "offers". These sites seem to deliberately surround PS with lots of other downloads just to confuse. One of the sites I opened was Cnet because, in the past, I have found it straight forward to download stuff, but this time, what I thought was the "free" PS2, turned out to be one of the chargeable PS Elements. I need this version of PS because I am used to it and haven't got an alternative programme to edit and "doctor" some photos I want to print. Can anyone suggest a website for the free version and how to separate it from all the other offers.

Dang! I cannot remember the last time Adobe (apart from Reader & Flash) gave good stuff away for free. I guess you could try free alternatives such as Gimpshop (do not go near Gimp - you have been warned), Picasa, Paint.net, Picmonkey or there's the bare bones editions of Adobe Photoshop Express out there but be wary of the download source.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picasa probably closest to that software dinosaur -- nothing wrong with gimp, use it every week, agree gimp won't be an ideal replacement for elements 2;-)
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I have an original disk of Elements 2.0 and have made a copy for you, which I've tested in W7 and it works just the same as the original. PM me with your name and address and I'll post it to you for free.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Probably not much use to you but maybe someone doesn't know, you can get the full Photoshop CC and Lightroom (latest editions) for about £8.50 a month for the two. Yes I too hate their compulsory subscription model (£100 a year arrghhhhh) but the price of those two has come down, and you can have a one month free trial, and then another month after you start paying to cancel, so thought it worth mentioning.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    Picasa probably closest to that software dinosaur -- nothing wrong with gimp, use it every week, agree gimp won't be an ideal replacement for elements 2;-)

i was thinking what is wrong with Gimp, it is flipping good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Probably not much use to you but maybe someone doesn't know, you can get the full Photoshop CC and Lightroom (latest editions) for about £8.50 a month for the two. Yes I too hate their compulsory subscription model (£100 a year arrghhhhh) but the price of those two has come down, and you can have a one month free trial, and then another month after you start paying to cancel, so thought it worth mentioning.

A friend of mine who is a graphic designer uses Photoshop on her Mac and is not happy about the subscription. The problem is, Adobe know they got the market. she is looking at other software, but very little choice on the Mac, so she may be stuck with using her old version of Photoshop.

I can understand how Adobe sees it, you get a update every time the software is updated, but it does get expensive after a couple of years.
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I bought my Elements 3.0 several years ago from some odd place - probably ebay - for IIRC £6.00, which struck me as very reasonable at the time. I had an old copy of Photoshop itself but when I put 1GB of memory in, it thought I had no memory - 0.999.....GB must have been its arithmetic limit! Anyhow I've found Elements 3.0 does all I want, except a copy of ULead Photo Express, which came with my scanner, is more friendly for changing a colour, which I need to do when scanning an old vinyl sleeve with mucky marks on it in order to put the sleeve into the CD box of the eventual CD copy of the vinyl.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to get a free PS Elements via a download.

The only chance is maybe to find the magaine disk it came on, or try and buy that disk on Ebay.

Buying Elements itself on Ebay is also possible. I've seen Elements 3.0 for £6
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an original disk of Elements 2.0 and have made a copy for you, which I've tested in W7 and it works just the same as the original. PM me with your name and address and I'll post it to you for free.

^^^ That post gets a 10/10 from me and that is certainly a most gentlemanly thing to do, evil c. :)
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    A friend of mine who is a graphic designer uses Photoshop on her Mac and is not happy about the subscription. The problem is, Adobe know they got the market. she is looking at other software, but very little choice on the Mac, so she may be stuck with using her old version of Photoshop.

I can understand how Adobe sees it, you get a update every time the software is updated, but it does get expensive after a couple of years.

Pixelmator £22.99 https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pixelmator/id407963104?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

or

Serif Affinity Photo, https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ currently free beta test eventually circa £35
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i was thinking what is wrong with Gimp, it is flipping good.
    it's great, if you just use basic functions it has it's very easy to use, photoshop-alike layout now & no trouble at all -- lots more to it for more adventurous types BUT most will only scratch surface
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »
    Pixelmator £22.99 https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pixelmator/id407963104?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

or

Serif Affinity Photo, https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ currently free beta test eventually circa £35

cheers for that I will pass on the info, Not sure if anything can replace Photoshop for the professional to be honest and they know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    it's great, if you just use basic functions it has it's very easy to use, photoshop-alike layout now & no trouble at all -- lots more to it for more adventurous types BUT most will only scratch surface

There you have it, Gimp will do for most people, the only thing that annoyed me with Gimp was the separate windows on the desktop, now they can be combined.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    techspot.com contains links to all the free Adobe legacy software packages, including PS2. Working serial numbers are provided, and there are no add-in offers.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    techspot.com contains links to all the free Adobe legacy software packages, including PS2. Working serial numbers are provided, and there are no add-in offers.
    Technically those aren't free and shouldn't be used unless you have a licence for the software.

For a Windows user looking for a legit free alternative, Paint.net is your best option IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for your more than generous offer, and thanks to all others who offered suggestions. Glad to say I have tracked down the missing disc hiding away amongst other magazine cover giveaways. D. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Technically those aren't free and shouldn't be used unless you have a licence for the software.

For a Windows user looking for a legit free alternative, Paint.net is your best option IMO.

My copy of PS2, as I think I said earlier, was supplied by one of the monthly computer magazines of a few years ago as a free offer. It has a code number, which I punched in after installing the programme. This was accepted, so I'm up and running. The only thing that seems not to be available, and I'm not sure why, is a reference to some sort of Help, but I'm not too bothered, because everything else seems to be OK
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    My copy of PS2, as I think I said earlier, was supplied by one of the monthly computer magazines of a few years ago as a free offer. It has a code number, which I punched in after installing the programme. This was accepted, so I'm up and running. The only thing that seems not to be available, and I'm not sure why, is a reference to some sort of Help, but I'm not too bothered, because everything else seems to be OK
    The codes that DiligentDan was referring to were released to owners of old products that can no longer be activated in the normal way due to Adobe decommissioning the activation server. Since some people will have originally paid a lot of money for this software Adobe figured it was best to just issue them with a copy of the corporate installers and a generic key (which didn't require online activation) to make up for their disc version now being useless.

What happened next was the download links and keys got shared publicly and several tech sites blindly published articles claiming Adobe had made several products abandonware without actually asking Adobe for a statement.

In your case you have a product key from a legit source. The version you have may be limited in some way and the removal of help implies it is provided "as is". I've had a few old games that were provided in a similar way on cover disks.